New drive motor/case drain port questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thabossman

Hi, got a couple newb questions... 1) I just got a new drive motor (Char Lynn 109-1052-006) and the shaft doesn't turn by hand, is this normal for it to be tight?? 2) Does the case drain port HAVE to be positioned at the lowest side of the motor or can it be at the top? Any help much appreciated... thanks in advance!

cnord

Tight shaft is ok, that means that the bearings and everything are new and not warn any. As for case drain, I did not know you could hook it up in more than one place. So I am not sure on that answer.

OP
OP
T

thabossman

Tight shaft is ok, that means that the bearings and everything are new and not warn any. As for case drain, I did not know you could hook it up in more than one place. So I am not sure on that answer.
thanks for the info. Regarding the case drain... sorry i should have explained myself better. My current motor setup (Ross Motors) has the two main ports facing the back of the machine, and the case drain port at the bottom (lowest point). On these motors, the position of the end plate can be moved (when assembling motor) to reposition the case drain port. This is not possible with the charlynn motors, so my question is: can i use my current hoses and have them all facing the rear of machine (meaning case drain port will be at top on one side), or do i need to keep case drain at bottom, meaning i will need to get longer hoses made as they will be facing forward on one motor. PS. machine is a 930A

SkidRoe

thanks for the info. Regarding the case drain... sorry i should have explained myself better. My current motor setup (Ross Motors) has the two main ports facing the back of the machine, and the case drain port at the bottom (lowest point). On these motors, the position of the end plate can be moved (when assembling motor) to reposition the case drain port. This is not possible with the charlynn motors, so my question is: can i use my current hoses and have them all facing the rear of machine (meaning case drain port will be at top on one side), or do i need to keep case drain at bottom, meaning i will need to get longer hoses made as they will be facing forward on one motor. PS. machine is a 930A
The case drain does not have to be oriented at the lowest port of the motor. The term case "drain" is a bit of a misnomer - it is really more of a case vent that prevents pressure from building up inside of the motor case and blowing the shaft seal out. Think of it this way: if it was truly a drain, the plumbing would need to slope downward from the motor, to a reservoir that was mounted below the level of the motor. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

thabossman

The case drain does not have to be oriented at the lowest port of the motor. The term case "drain" is a bit of a misnomer - it is really more of a case vent that prevents pressure from building up inside of the motor case and blowing the shaft seal out. Think of it this way: if it was truly a drain, the plumbing would need to slope downward from the motor, to a reservoir that was mounted below the level of the motor. Hope this helps.
Thanks SkidRoe, yeah good point, that makes sense. Problems solved, cheers :)

Latest posts