Owatonna Mustang 1700 Drive Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Big Sky

I picked up a older Owatonna Mustang 1700 (mid 70's) with Variable Drive and the 104 CID Ford V4 this is not the torque converter model. My question is when turning over this unit with the starter or by hand the drive shaft to the pump turns and drive and driven clutches both turn which the inner axle shafts turn but the wheels are stationary. I'am in the process of getting the engine ready to start (been sitting for 10 yrs). This appears to me to be a large load on the starter and motor to try to fire with this much of a load with everything turning. Correct me if I'am wrong or is this just common with the variable drive system - Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
I believe this is normal.
Even the newer machines with hydrostatic drive have the engine coupled to the pumps so they spin when cranking. As long as no functions are engaged when cranking, drag is minimal so the starter can do it's job.

OP
OP
B

Big Sky

I believe this is normal.
Even the newer machines with hydrostatic drive have the engine coupled to the pumps so they spin when cranking. As long as no functions are engaged when cranking, drag is minimal so the starter can do it's job.
Tazza - Thanks for the response. I disconnected the drive from the engine at the chain coupling and was able to get it up and running. I guess my main concern was that the drive clutch was turning the driven and I was thinking the sheaths were engaged to far in. I was thinking as with snowmobiles that the drive clutch is not engaged till the RPM's come up and the weights start to engage the clutch and close it onto the belt. I know that the sheaths in this system are actuated by hydraulics and was thinking that the drive clutch could be engaged to far and causing the driven to turn witch is turning the inner axle shafts and not possible free spooling like a snowmobile clutch would. The Ford v4 seems to run good and I will try it next with the chain coupling connected to test the hydraulics. I still need to drain the hydraulic system and install a new suction filter before further testing.