Need tecnical help with a NH 784 gas units govenor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ih2lose

Good morning all Hello folks I need a little help, I am a new member refered to this site from the "lheavey equiptment forum. A little about me if your interested I am a heating and cooling mecanic by trade but fix anything I have to. I have always fealt if I know what some thing does, How it does it , then I can repair it.Can some one explain to me the therory of who controls who. I do understand why this is needed I just dont know if its the flow thru this pump/govenor that races the motor? My Dad has a 1987 New Holland Gas L784 with a ford in line six in it. I am having troubles understanding how to adjust the linkage for the throttle and the governor .He purchased it as a used machine and it looks like every one has worked on it over the years, I forgot to take a photo to post here. It seams the linkage has to be installed or adjusted improper as it binds I purchased a service manual but it does not cover the governor or throttle linkage adjustment Thanks in advance for your help

skidsteer.ca

Is it connected to the hydraulics somehow,? or is it driven by a belt or off the crank or camshaft somehow? Most gas engine governors (the few I've seen) work with the engine spinning mechanical weights balanced against spring force. As the engine slows under load the centrifugal force of the weights is reduced and the spring overcomes their force and open the throttle until the engine recovers it rpm and the centerfuge force becomes high enough and the springs are overcome again , and close the throttle down again. Now thats the little bit of theory I'm aware of. Specific to your application, I'm sorry I'm of no help there. Perhaps someone else will be familiar. Regards Ken

OP
OP
I

ih2lose

Is it connected to the hydraulics somehow,? or is it driven by a belt or off the crank or camshaft somehow? Most gas engine governors (the few I've seen) work with the engine spinning mechanical weights balanced against spring force. As the engine slows under load the centrifugal force of the weights is reduced and the spring overcomes their force and open the throttle until the engine recovers it rpm and the centerfuge force becomes high enough and the springs are overcome again , and close the throttle down again. Now thats the little bit of theory I'm aware of. Specific to your application, I'm sorry I'm of no help there. Perhaps someone else will be familiar. Regards Ken
Thank You Ken the problem was in the throttle linkage adjustment have it working now. May also be because the machine was sitting also as after I adjusted the throttle linkage it would race high after putting a load on the machine.(Pushing into a pile and digging) it getting looser now I Definitely need a manual to finalize this adjustment. Yesterday I found a new problem. I have to deal with So I am moving some dirt around my property getting it ready to be taken off the property. Pulling material out from a bank then driving up another pile to stack it. After about 40 minutes of working, I start to get a hydraulic fluid leak from under the machine. Turn the machine off power wash it cant find the leak from any fittings, hose. I then park the machine let it sit NO leaks . Start running it again and it seams as soon as it get warm 35 to 40 minutes I get the leak again, I can see we are losing about 1/2 to a full quart in the belly of the machine under the seat but can not find it source. Is there a vent or an over flow some place? the pile I am running up has a steep ramp I made that I almost scape the rear bumper going up. My dad is not mechanical and I am trying to shake all of the bugs out of this machine as he plans on bring it to his property upstate to do some maintenance on his property Thanks again PS here is a link to my web site to show some of the other things I have worked on www.yellowcorvettes.com

skidsteer.ca

Thank You Ken the problem was in the throttle linkage adjustment have it working now. May also be because the machine was sitting also as after I adjusted the throttle linkage it would race high after putting a load on the machine.(Pushing into a pile and digging) it getting looser now I Definitely need a manual to finalize this adjustment. Yesterday I found a new problem. I have to deal with So I am moving some dirt around my property getting it ready to be taken off the property. Pulling material out from a bank then driving up another pile to stack it. After about 40 minutes of working, I start to get a hydraulic fluid leak from under the machine. Turn the machine off power wash it cant find the leak from any fittings, hose. I then park the machine let it sit NO leaks . Start running it again and it seams as soon as it get warm 35 to 40 minutes I get the leak again, I can see we are losing about 1/2 to a full quart in the belly of the machine under the seat but can not find it source. Is there a vent or an over flow some place? the pile I am running up has a steep ramp I made that I almost scape the rear bumper going up. My dad is not mechanical and I am trying to shake all of the bugs out of this machine as he plans on bring it to his property upstate to do some maintenance on his property Thanks again PS here is a link to my web site to show some of the other things I have worked on www.yellowcorvettes.com
Your losing hyd oil?, or engine or chaincase oil? Hyd hoses can get bad from old age. If the leak gets bad enough you will find it. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If your hyd pump starts to skip or surge as you lift, dump or drive be sure to ad more oil as sucking air through the pumps is quite hard on them. Other then the mess and cost of oil, I would just run it until the problem is bad enought to locate. Keep your toolbox handy, good luck Ken