Need some help,, 763 Bobcat Sucking Air in fuel line

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mini

the machine runs for a few seconds then stops, When I prime the fuel bulb, there is a steady stream of air, even with the purge valve open, the fuel filter is a cheap clear canister so I can see lots of air in it From what I have read some people have had a broken fuel pickup Is there anything else that would cause this issue, or should I just try and order and replace the pickup tube,

farmshop

Could be a crack in the line or a pick up tube. You could try putting a hose in a jug of fuel and see if it runs but most likely it's the pick up tube. I would replace the suction hose and primer bulb right away should be less than a hundred bucks for all of it

OP
OP
mini

mini

Could be a crack in the line or a pick up tube. You could try putting a hose in a jug of fuel and see if it runs but most likely it's the pick up tube. I would replace the suction hose and primer bulb right away should be less than a hundred bucks for all of it
Ok I will try using a jug of fuel to see if it stays running, it died in a bad spot, so a temporary fix to at least get it closer to the shop would save me a ton thanks I will try that this morning

OP
OP
mini

mini

Ok I will try using a jug of fuel to see if it stays running, it died in a bad spot, so a temporary fix to at least get it closer to the shop would save me a ton thanks I will try that this morning
Thanks,, got it started, with the fuel line stuck in a coke bottle, it's now in my shop, I will have to decide if I should try to fix it myself or send it to bobcat. it's a love / hate relationship I have with this thing, right now I'm leaning towards the hate side

flyerdan

Thanks,, got it started, with the fuel line stuck in a coke bottle, it's now in my shop, I will have to decide if I should try to fix it myself or send it to bobcat. it's a love / hate relationship I have with this thing, right now I'm leaning towards the hate side
All indications point to a broken tube in the tank, if it was in an external line you should be able to pump some flow with the primer bulb, and there would be a wet spot where the leak was. Fortunately, this is one of the easiest repairs to do, if there are any tips someone who's done this will chime in. Hopefully that coke bottle was well rinsed...

OP
OP
mini

mini

easy ? not sure anything has been easy on this machine, even if I send it in for service the bill will be painful ,

farmshop

easy ? not sure anything has been easy on this machine, even if I send it in for service the bill will be painful ,
If you tip the cab up. The pick up time can be pulled out of the top of the tank. The hardest part is pushing it back in. Grease it up and find the right pry bar to push it in

Tazza

Staff member
If you tip the cab up. The pick up time can be pulled out of the top of the tank. The hardest part is pushing it back in. Grease it up and find the right pry bar to push it in
A new groment will make the job a little easier, unless you are a cheap skate like me, i had an issue on a machine of mine years ago, try as i might, i couldn't get it back in the tank, i took the groment to the bench grinder and took a little bit of rubber off the leading edge to allow me to get it started, worked just fine, i sealed the face of it between it and the tank with silicone to prevent it leaking.
This was on a 743, one with the fuel tank with pretty darn easy access behind the cab.

OP
OP
mini

mini

A new groment will make the job a little easier, unless you are a cheap skate like me, i had an issue on a machine of mine years ago, try as i might, i couldn't get it back in the tank, i took the groment to the bench grinder and took a little bit of rubber off the leading edge to allow me to get it started, worked just fine, i sealed the face of it between it and the tank with silicone to prevent it leaking.
This was on a 743, one with the fuel tank with pretty darn easy access behind the cab.
I was just about to phone the dealer to come and pick this thing up, Now I'm looking for my 3/4" socket to go lift the cab, to find the tank my biggest fear working on this machine is getting crushed under the cab, do you guys ever use a stick or anything else just for safety? or is the lock good enough, I saw a video where the guy also raised the lift arms for extra room, is this normal ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju47R9_R424

BC873G

I was just about to phone the dealer to come and pick this thing up, Now I'm looking for my 3/4" socket to go lift the cab, to find the tank my biggest fear working on this machine is getting crushed under the cab, do you guys ever use a stick or anything else just for safety? or is the lock good enough, I saw a video where the guy also raised the lift arms for extra room, is this normal ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju47R9_R424
Hi mini, I've done it both with a stick as an extra safety and without. It doesn't take make one so if it makes you feel more comfortable then do it. It really does help to get the arms up out of your way. Be sure to use the supplied lift arm support after your raise your boom. Good luck.

OP
OP
mini

mini

Hi mini, I've done it both with a stick as an extra safety and without. It doesn't take make one so if it makes you feel more comfortable then do it. It really does help to get the arms up out of your way. Be sure to use the supplied lift arm support after your raise your boom. Good luck.
thanks all, for all the great advise, but I wimped out and shipped it to bobcat, the machine was creeping too which I wanted to get adjusted so I thought it would be a good time to send it in for that issue too,,, and you guys nailed the issue perfect, when bobcat called today , sure enough it was the fuel suction tube that broke off, hopefully it will be back soon, the poor thing still has a lot more work to finish my wife's insanely massive rock garden thanks again mini

farmshop

thanks all, for all the great advise, but I wimped out and shipped it to bobcat, the machine was creeping too which I wanted to get adjusted so I thought it would be a good time to send it in for that issue too,,, and you guys nailed the issue perfect, when bobcat called today , sure enough it was the fuel suction tube that broke off, hopefully it will be back soon, the poor thing still has a lot more work to finish my wife's insanely massive rock garden thanks again mini
For future reference the gas shocks that helps lift the cab should have a safety latch on one side that is spring loaded to engage when the cab is lifted. While extra safety isn't usually a bad thing it is often easy to knock a prop rod out of place. Nothing wrong with with handing a job off you are not comfortable with