Need opinion on NH LS180

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Firescooby

I own a lawn care company and would like to expand into landscaping. Market and economy sux right now, like everywhere I am sure. I have a lead on a 2003 or 2004 NH LS180. It is a one owner. He is a general contractor that is hurting right now. I HAVE NOT looked at it yet, so everything is verbal right now. He said it has a little over 200 hours Includes smooth bucket and pallet forks That's all the details I have right now. PRICE: $10,500 Opinions? Things to look for/at when I go to check it out? Thanks

mllud

That looks like a bargain. That Year and those hours should be in the $18,000 to $22,000 range, depending on options. Heres a whole bunch of LS180's ttt compare with. Mike
http://alpha.ironsearch.com/Use+Iron+Tractor/New+Holland/LS180/1/F.aspx
Make sure it isnt hot. Almost too goooood.
emotion-1.gif

mllud

It's owned by a fellow FF, but I'm gonna check it out through a dealer anyway. Also, is there anyway to combine the two threads?
No you cant combine posts. They are talking about adding an edit feature. That would be great when you have something you want to add. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
No you cant combine posts. They are talking about adding an edit feature. That would be great when you have something you want to add. Mike
The only way is to copy/paste the details from the other post in this one and delete the old one.
If no one replies to the other one it will simply be pushed back as new posts appear. I can copy/paste the info from Ken and Shane then delete the other thread if you want.
Yes, an edit feature is planned, but again time is a limiting factor. I have spoken to Geoffrey about it and he is really busy, but it IS planned for upcoming upgrades to the boards software.

owensge

The only way is to copy/paste the details from the other post in this one and delete the old one.
If no one replies to the other one it will simply be pushed back as new posts appear. I can copy/paste the info from Ken and Shane then delete the other thread if you want.
Yes, an edit feature is planned, but again time is a limiting factor. I have spoken to Geoffrey about it and he is really busy, but it IS planned for upcoming upgrades to the boards software.
Yep, but I'm just about done with my building project, so I'm gonna start in on the new site in the next week or so.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Make sure it isnt hot. Almost too goooood.
I had a 2003 LS180--which New Holland corporation itself ended up buying back. The reason was it is extremely loud inside and out. The two-speed when engaged sounded like it was going to blow itself apart. I was getting ear infections constantly from the excessive noise.The reason is the LS180's pumps are driven by spur gears from inside the flywheel rim. Spur gears by nature compared to helical-cut gears are noisey. Add to that the noisey nature of the hydraul;ic pumps themselves and you have a perfect noise storm. I bought a commercial decibel meter. The decibel level in mine was 110dB. 80 is the Federal limit. A jet engine is close to 114. Not all LS180's are noisey. New Holland said it cost $4500 to MAYBE fix the noise--but could not guarantee it would fix it--in fact it could make it worse as they found on other machines. Long story short, New Holland and the dealer gave me $19,000 for my '03 (payoff on loan), and gave a me a discount of about $13,000 on my '05 LS185.b. The .b has a totally different pump drive system which is direct thru drive through the engine crank shaft---no gear noise at all. Oddly though the dB is still about 100 in the '05 but is tolerable. Sometimes I wear ear protection--when I think of it---DOH!

Tazza

Staff member
I had a 2003 LS180--which New Holland corporation itself ended up buying back. The reason was it is extremely loud inside and out. The two-speed when engaged sounded like it was going to blow itself apart. I was getting ear infections constantly from the excessive noise.The reason is the LS180's pumps are driven by spur gears from inside the flywheel rim. Spur gears by nature compared to helical-cut gears are noisey. Add to that the noisey nature of the hydraul;ic pumps themselves and you have a perfect noise storm. I bought a commercial decibel meter. The decibel level in mine was 110dB. 80 is the Federal limit. A jet engine is close to 114. Not all LS180's are noisey. New Holland said it cost $4500 to MAYBE fix the noise--but could not guarantee it would fix it--in fact it could make it worse as they found on other machines. Long story short, New Holland and the dealer gave me $19,000 for my '03 (payoff on loan), and gave a me a discount of about $13,000 on my '05 LS185.b. The .b has a totally different pump drive system which is direct thru drive through the engine crank shaft---no gear noise at all. Oddly though the dB is still about 100 in the '05 but is tolerable. Sometimes I wear ear protection--when I think of it---DOH!
I try to wear ear muffs every time i use my machines, i figure I'll loose my hearing fast enough i don't want the machine to speed up the process.
I'd never understand why they would drive the pumps trough gears.... Bobcat do fine with belts and U-Joints, i have seen plates with rubber bonded in them, they all do a great job and don't cause extra noise.

xtreem3d

I try to wear ear muffs every time i use my machines, i figure I'll loose my hearing fast enough i don't want the machine to speed up the process.
I'd never understand why they would drive the pumps trough gears.... Bobcat do fine with belts and U-Joints, i have seen plates with rubber bonded in them, they all do a great job and don't cause extra noise.
earthworks....i leased a 180 last winter w/ option to buy but because it whined so loud i thought maybe something was wrong although it ran like a champ pushing snow..would you consider the noise to be a loud whinning? the machine is still avalable to rent/ buy for about 12,000 , heat ,air cab, 2 speed, 1700 hrs, and i really have my eye on it , thanks, steve

Earthwerks Unlimited

earthworks....i leased a 180 last winter w/ option to buy but because it whined so loud i thought maybe something was wrong although it ran like a champ pushing snow..would you consider the noise to be a loud whinning? the machine is still avalable to rent/ buy for about 12,000 , heat ,air cab, 2 speed, 1700 hrs, and i really have my eye on it , thanks, steve
Yep it's gear whine and it sounds much, much worse when in 2-speed. The hours seems a bit high for my taste--typically 600 hours per year is the industry standard. The price isn't bad though. Be sure the air works--could be costly to repair. Do yourself a favor and DON'T drive an LS185b or the like--all you hear is the accessory drive pump buzz when things operate--otherwise all you hear is the engine. Nw Holland makes a noise reduction kit consisting of foam panels that may reduce the noise. It's fairly expensive though.

xtreem3d

Yep it's gear whine and it sounds much, much worse when in 2-speed. The hours seems a bit high for my taste--typically 600 hours per year is the industry standard. The price isn't bad though. Be sure the air works--could be costly to repair. Do yourself a favor and DON'T drive an LS185b or the like--all you hear is the accessory drive pump buzz when things operate--otherwise all you hear is the engine. Nw Holland makes a noise reduction kit consisting of foam panels that may reduce the noise. It's fairly expensive though.
thanks for the reply..i don't know the year of the 180 could it be 3 years old ?(600hrx3=1800hrs) i presently own a LS185b maybe i'm numb to the noise but don't think it is unusually bothersome steve