Need ideas how to load a C170 track loader that won't run onto a trailer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hanman34

Have a c170 track machine that blew a main line running to right drive motor. Have no hydraulic pressure at all now. It runs but no functions, won't drive or even lift the bucket. Is in the middle of freaking nowhere, literally sitting halfway in a tank overflow when the line blew. I have replaced these lines on the left side before but I had it in my shop then and had to remove the track, drive motor, sprocket, everything. Need to somehow get it dragged onto a trailer and hauled home. Any great ideas for how to make this slightly less miserable would be greatly appreciated. First attempt will be using another skid steer to drag it back out of the mudhole. Then back my trailer up to it, hook a large winch onto it and try to drag it onto the trailer with winch backwards while pushing it with another skid steer. Do not have big enough equipment anywhere even remotely close enough to lift it, and I'm pretty sure I can't afford to hire or rent one.

OP
OP
H

Hanman34

Seems like you could be getting some field service experience soon.
hahaha you're not wrong. I was told that it is impossible to disable the hydrostat on these machines to allow the tracks to roll freely. That was my only real hope of being able to get it onto a trailer. Idon't think I have enough horsepower to drag it.

Ivan

hahaha you're not wrong. I was told that it is impossible to disable the hydrostat on these machines to allow the tracks to roll freely. That was my only real hope of being able to get it onto a trailer. Idon't think I have enough horsepower to drag it.
Sounds like you already have a mess but if you remove the lines on the hydro it should roll

imtools

On my old 825, there are "levers" on each side that disengages the motor from the gearing inside the chain case, allowing it to roll freely. My little JD lawn tractor also has a "knob" that pulls out under the seat for the same purpose. My Gehl excavator has no such release. I can't believe the engineers of some machines don't provide for this as these units will often have debilitately breakdowns and repairing "in-the-dirt" is not such a good environment, if it's even possible.

foton

my only suggestion is to use 2 machines one pulling and keeping the bucket up and one pushing. good luck

mrbb

thats what I was thinking either some sections of pipe, or maybe even some PVC pipe,
I think there would be enough weight spread about to allow things so roll on the pipe, if the ground is hard enough to not have the pipe sink into it, could get it to trailer that way MAYBE, once at trailer, getting the deck rather wet and slick will help get it up on it, maybe some diesel fuel over OIL, or a mix of the two, this way decking doesn;t always be super slick!

you could allow look to see if there are any HD towing company's near you/it, as they would at least have some HD winches and a few snatch blocks might be able to winch it onto a trailer, helping ,make it go easier and safer!

ddbackhoe

thats what I was thinking either some sections of pipe, or maybe even some PVC pipe,
I think there would be enough weight spread about to allow things so roll on the pipe, if the ground is hard enough to not have the pipe sink into it, could get it to trailer that way MAYBE, once at trailer, getting the deck rather wet and slick will help get it up on it, maybe some diesel fuel over OIL, or a mix of the two, this way decking doesn;t always be super slick!

you could allow look to see if there are any HD towing company's near you/it, as they would at least have some HD winches and a few snatch blocks might be able to winch it onto a trailer, helping ,make it go easier and safer!
whew, once you "lube" the trailer, how do you plan on keeping the machine on it?
pipe rollers (not pvc) will work or equipment skates. Most tandem axle tow trucks are now equipped with extendable booms that can lift something like this high enough to get a trailer under it .
Dragging is always a last resort, hard to tell what else may break in the process.

'

mrbb

whew, once you "lube" the trailer, how do you plan on keeping the machine on it?
pipe rollers (not pvc) will work or equipment skates. Most tandem axle tow trucks are now equipped with extendable booms that can lift something like this high enough to get a trailer under it .
Dragging is always a last resort, hard to tell what else may break in the process.

'
well that's where common sense comes into play, don;t go wild with it, and maybe only oil the first section to get it started going up on to things
once the machine OFF the trailer, it can be cleaned you know? ?? not saying to cover the whole trailer with a ocean of oil here! Geeze!~

and also why I said maybe using diesel fuel would be better too!
and I would also think one would have it chained down well so it doesn;'t move no??

but a LOT of folks use a mix of oil.diesel to TREAT wood decking and other things?
its not that uncommon

but if in for the OP to consider!a pinch and need to load a dead heavy object, its a Option I throw out there,

Ivan

DO NOT GREASE YOUR TRAILER DECK. That is an accident waiting to happen. I almost put my L 553 off the sdid of the trailer one from frost on the deck. If it any thing close to mine take anot her skid stter ot tractor and hold th elever in raised position and then raise the boom with the other machine. You may have to have the key on for this to work. When you let off the handle the boom should stay up. The do the same for the tracks and put it with the other machine it should roll hard at first and it rolls easier. I would be very careful about sliding the tracks very far. It may cause damage to the hdro. This works on my older machine so it may not work on yours but worth a try

OP
OP
H

Hanman34

DO NOT GREASE YOUR TRAILER DECK. That is an accident waiting to happen. I almost put my L 553 off the sdid of the trailer one from frost on the deck. If it any thing close to mine take anot her skid stter ot tractor and hold th elever in raised position and then raise the boom with the other machine. You may have to have the key on for this to work. When you let off the handle the boom should stay up. The do the same for the tracks and put it with the other machine it should roll hard at first and it rolls easier. I would be very careful about sliding the tracks very far. It may cause damage to the hdro. This works on my older machine so it may not work on yours but worth a try
Ivan I wish I had read your post sooner. That makes perfect sense and I'm betting that would have worked to free up the drive motors on my machine. The only problem may have been that it was losing hydraulic fluid almost as fast as it could be added. I did not grease the deck thankfully. That just seemed like it would cause all kinds of problems. I checked with our local new Holland dealer and he confirmed that other than maybe skidding up the tracks a little it would damage drive motors or anything to just drag it. I'm trying to post a pic of our set up but we managed to get it shoved onto a trailer and wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Other than my kids getting a good vocabulary lesson it went pretty smoothly using another skid steer, a winch (which I'm pretty sure didn't contribute much of anything), some bridge planks and pipes to roll it on. Unloading it and pushing it into the shop was accomplished easily with a pay loader. Now to get the track off of a non running machine. Thanks for all of the advice , is very much appreciated.

Latest posts