Need help identifying old Bobcat!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jejennings

I just bought a very old Bobcat with no model identification plate from a local farmer. It has a hydrostatic + chain drive. The roll cage has a plate reading "Model No.2241406 for the M-700 Bobcat Loader" which pointed toward the loader being an M-700, however the M-700 operator's manual show four warning lights on the control panel with a fuel gauge. Mine has two warning lights and an ammeter. It also has no range control, which appears to be standard on the M-700. The Bobcat has a Wisconsin engine, which means (if the Bobcat website historical specifications are correct) it's probably one of the following models: 630, 720, M-600, M-610, M-620, and M-700. Can any of you who know the old models help me ID this one?

BobCat

Pop a picture up for us and i'm sure someone will know what it is.
Hey, did you contact Bobcat's web site and give them the serial number? They can tell you what you have. I did it. Later Bobcat.

OP
OP
J

jejennings

Pop a picture up for us and i'm sure someone will know what it is.
I took a picture today but can't seem to put it in a post. I tried dragging it in... didn't work. Tried to copy and paste it in... didn't work. Any hints? Jack

Tazza

Staff member
I took a picture today but can't seem to put it in a post. I tried dragging it in... didn't work. Tried to copy and paste it in... didn't work. Any hints? Jack
you can upload it in the media section or just e-mail it to me and i'll put it up.
taz38sup at yahoo.com.au
Remove the spaces and the at = @

Tazza

Staff member
you can upload it in the media section or just e-mail it to me and i'll put it up.
taz38sup at yahoo.com.au
Remove the spaces and the at = @
It looks like an M610 to me, but i will leave that to the experts!
High rez piccie: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Jacks unknown Bobcat.jpg
Jacks%20unknown%20Bobcat.jpg

jerry

It looks like an M610 to me, but i will leave that to the experts!
High rez piccie: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Jacks%20unknown%20Bobcat.jpg
I think it is a early hydrostatic model because it does not have the clutch adjustment covers on the side as the 610 would and there would be about a 10 inch hole toward the rear in line with the variable sheave for the belt drive. That is all I know.

bobcat_ron

I think it is a early hydrostatic model because it does not have the clutch adjustment covers on the side as the 610 would and there would be about a 10 inch hole toward the rear in line with the variable sheave for the belt drive. That is all I know.
Wow, I love that bucket!

OP
OP
J

jejennings

Yes, it is a hydrostatic drive model, and that's why I thought it was an M-700. I got operator's, service and parts manuals for the M-700 and there are several differences: The M-700 has a taller instrument panel with an hour meter, ignition switch and four warning lights. This one has a short panel with an ammeter, two warning lights and a switch. The M-700 had dual ranges, this machine has only one. The M-700 had a grill (back door) that was secured with a handle operated latch. This one has a simple drop-in pin to hold it closed. The M-700 had a hand operated disc brake as standard equipment. This one has none. I found a picture of an M-700 on the web and the lift arms appear to be identical. I believe the bucket was made for light material, since if I fill it 3/4 full with damp South Jersey sand and lift ti just a foot off the ground, the back two wheels of the Bobcat come off the ground. It is very maneuverable, however, when balanced just on its two front wheels. The left rear tire is leaking calcium chloride solution and that's why it's so dark in the picture. Even this extra weight in the back doesn't help

sterlclan

Yes, it is a hydrostatic drive model, and that's why I thought it was an M-700. I got operator's, service and parts manuals for the M-700 and there are several differences: The M-700 has a taller instrument panel with an hour meter, ignition switch and four warning lights. This one has a short panel with an ammeter, two warning lights and a switch. The M-700 had dual ranges, this machine has only one. The M-700 had a grill (back door) that was secured with a handle operated latch. This one has a simple drop-in pin to hold it closed. The M-700 had a hand operated disc brake as standard equipment. This one has none. I found a picture of an M-700 on the web and the lift arms appear to be identical. I believe the bucket was made for light material, since if I fill it 3/4 full with damp South Jersey sand and lift ti just a foot off the ground, the back two wheels of the Bobcat come off the ground. It is very maneuverable, however, when balanced just on its two front wheels. The left rear tire is leaking calcium chloride solution and that's why it's so dark in the picture. Even this extra weight in the back doesn't help
it looks like some m series loader to me .you could try your "local"dealer for help .........Jeff

Zorack

it looks like some m series loader to me .you could try your "local"dealer for help .........Jeff
Man that thing has some rust on it,and yea maybe a local dealer might help you(might try to sell you a new one too lol)

Tazza

Staff member
Man that thing has some rust on it,and yea maybe a local dealer might help you(might try to sell you a new one too lol)
If its hydrostatic it could even be a 720 or the 72x range. I'm not too sure, but i believe the 720 range was the first of the hydrostatic machines.
jejennings - did you get my e-mail? or has my e-mail let me down once again.....

m610

If its hydrostatic it could even be a 720 or the 72x range. I'm not too sure, but i believe the 720 range was the first of the hydrostatic machines.
jejennings - did you get my e-mail? or has my e-mail let me down once again.....
To me it looks like a M-700. It is definately not an M-610. The 700 was the first hydrostatic Bobcat and the 720 was an improved model. The engine in a M-610 is mounted with the output shaft 90 degrees to the length of the loader. The hydrostatic loaders have the engine output shaft pointed to the front of the machine. The rear door of the machine was made of steel sheet wheras the M-610 was cast iron for weight. With more pics I am sure I can identify it.

OP
OP
J

jejennings

I read that the M-700 was the first hydrostatic model. If I could find some pictures of a 720, particularly the instrument panel and back, I'd know for sure. It has some rust but no major hydrolic leaks. It works well so far, but I've only run it a couple of hours. All pivots are tight. My dealer can't help. They are relatively new and no one has any experience with the really old machines,

m610

I read that the M-700 was the first hydrostatic model. If I could find some pictures of a 720, particularly the instrument panel and back, I'd know for sure. It has some rust but no major hydrolic leaks. It works well so far, but I've only run it a couple of hours. All pivots are tight. My dealer can't help. They are relatively new and no one has any experience with the really old machines,
Does yours have the Wisconsin gas engine or the diesel?

OP
OP
J

jejennings

Does yours have the Wisconsin gas engine or the diesel?
It has a Wisconsin V-4. Checking the specs on the Bobcat site narrows it down to these models: 600, 610, 620, 700, 720 and 730 (the only models used this engine)I have learned that the 600 series were all belt drive, and the 700 was the first hydrostatic, This narrows the choice to: 700, 720 or 730. From the manuals I have, it doesn't appear to be a 700, which leaves the 720 and 730. I think I am getting closer but need more details on these last tow to be sure.

Barfly69

It has a Wisconsin V-4. Checking the specs on the Bobcat site narrows it down to these models: 600, 610, 620, 700, 720 and 730 (the only models used this engine)I have learned that the 600 series were all belt drive, and the 700 was the first hydrostatic, This narrows the choice to: 700, 720 or 730. From the manuals I have, it doesn't appear to be a 700, which leaves the 720 and 730. I think I am getting closer but need more details on these last tow to be sure.
Do you mind me asking what the ole farmer sold it to you for?

OP
OP
J

jejennings

"Do you mind me asking what the ole farmer sold it to you for?" I paide $4300 because it was supposed to be running. Checked some recent sales and found that 700s were sold between $3900 and $5200/. Found out it had last run two years before. Had to put in a rebuilt carburator and so far one new tire. Appears to have no hydraulic leaks. Engine is tight, no smoke. Seems to run really good. Bucket is oversized for dirt... a full load picks the back wheels off the ground, but is fine for cleaning horse stalls.