need advise on tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

crash6882

as you may have figure by my last 5 posts. i just bought a 2005 JD 328, and don't know to much about skid steers. currently it has 14x17.5 foam filled tires which are pretty much bald, they seem very wide to me. I have to replace the tires and are not filling them with foam. I was looking at replacing them with another set of 14x17.5 but found that on the JD site they list 12x16.5 under parts. I was wondering what everyone is running and how much of a difference the different sizes will make. I am going to be lifting probably over one ton with the machine. I will also be using it to clear my lot, so i need it to be decent in sand.???????????

skidsteer.ca

If the casing are good you can re cap yours with new tread. The foam is actually worth more then the tire. Plus you have to cut them apart to get them off the rims or buy new rims.
The only downside to foam filling is it adds alot of weight, likely 300 additional lbs per tire in your case.
Were the 12 16.5 the std tire on your machine? Generally speaking you don't want to increase ground pressure, butthey may have went with a larger tire to offset the weight of the foam.
Ken

OP
OP
C

crash6882

If the casing are good you can re cap yours with new tread. The foam is actually worth more then the tire. Plus you have to cut them apart to get them off the rims or buy new rims.
The only downside to foam filling is it adds alot of weight, likely 300 additional lbs per tire in your case.
Were the 12 16.5 the std tire on your machine? Generally speaking you don't want to increase ground pressure, butthey may have went with a larger tire to offset the weight of the foam.
Ken
I am not sure if the 12x16.5 were stock.. the foam filled tires don't seem to go to well in sand so i don't think recapping them would be beneficial. does anyone know the cheapest place to buy 10x17.5 rims.????????????????????????

skidsteer.ca

I am not sure if the 12x16.5 were stock.. the foam filled tires don't seem to go to well in sand so i don't think recapping them would be beneficial. does anyone know the cheapest place to buy 10x17.5 rims.????????????????????????
Do you mean 12 by 16.5 wheels?
Where are you located?
Ken

Treekiller66

Do you mean 12 by 16.5 wheels?
Where are you located?
Ken
Never have had foam filled but have had lots of fun in sand though. The wider the tire the better off ya are more flotation. And believe it or not bald is better wont dig in, they ride on top. Keep from making hard turns that helps. If your pushing or digging allot your screwed regardless. Gonna have to go with tracks then. I have mclarin pro track diamonds, they best all around kinda, works in snow they are OK in sand not the best but it does go. Theres a type thats has a solid pad. They are heavy but they would be probably the best in sand. but these ain't worth a crap in the snow no traction and they pack full of snow. Hope this helps ya a bit.