my first bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

If is starting good I would leave the glow plugs alone if you think they are bd pull them put power to them should glow 1/4 all they way to the tip if bad take one to napa to see you want to stay away from bobcat except for filters and part that you can not find any where else they do not even kiss you first
Will do on the stay away from bobcat. Runs good when its warm. Its been real cold here. It wouldnt start yesterday. Day before and after the trailer ride home it woyld start puff and chug couldnt advance thottle intil after it warmed up. Other than that it runs like something with 4880 hrs.

Tigerhaze

Will do on the stay away from bobcat. Runs good when its warm. Its been real cold here. It wouldnt start yesterday. Day before and after the trailer ride home it woyld start puff and chug couldnt advance thottle intil after it warmed up. Other than that it runs like something with 4880 hrs.
It cannot be overstated that you should check the condition of the timing belt. If it lets go while you are running that Deutz then you could bend up your pushrods and get into an additional engine hassle. You can search for other threads on this subject.

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

It cannot be overstated that you should check the condition of the timing belt. If it lets go while you are running that Deutz then you could bend up your pushrods and get into an additional engine hassle. You can search for other threads on this subject.
There is black marker on the door that states timing belt replaced 4700 hrs 188 hrs ago.should be safe there but should check none the less. Thanks

sstec

There is black marker on the door that states timing belt replaced 4700 hrs 188 hrs ago.should be safe there but should check none the less. Thanks
Never trust a sticker. . . . . If you don't have receipts from a reputable source, do it over on your terms. Much easier and cheaper. It breaks things get bent. Ask me how I know. . . . sstec

frogfarmer

Never trust a sticker. . . . . If you don't have receipts from a reputable source, do it over on your terms. Much easier and cheaper. It breaks things get bent. Ask me how I know. . . . sstec
This will go against what the general audience believes. Deutz engines have about as many head gasket problems as they do timing belt issues. At the 5000hr mark I would expect either to be an issue. If the belt breaks the head comes off and two problems solved at one repair not to mention a fresh valve job. Yes the cost is more for a head removal and valve job than just a timing belt but the likely hood of another issue for a very long time is eliminated. I am an engine builder so the labor is not an issue on any of my machines but down time can be. Preventative maintenance is and can be a wonderful thing but in this case I would let things ride and see what happens.

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

This will go against what the general audience believes. Deutz engines have about as many head gasket problems as they do timing belt issues. At the 5000hr mark I would expect either to be an issue. If the belt breaks the head comes off and two problems solved at one repair not to mention a fresh valve job. Yes the cost is more for a head removal and valve job than just a timing belt but the likely hood of another issue for a very long time is eliminated. I am an engine builder so the labor is not an issue on any of my machines but down time can be. Preventative maintenance is and can be a wonderful thing but in this case I would let things ride and see what happens.
Ok got my service manual in the mail today,so i am fairly dangerous. Pulled glow plugs out put wire on end of glow plug other wire end to positive side of batt.and grounded body of gp to neg they got cherry red. Now my question can i use a test light to check the wire that clips on end of glow plug. If i turn the key on and hold down glow plug switch would the test light light up? With key on and holding down gp switch my amp gauge does not move,shouldnt it go down a little? Thanks in advance

frogfarmer

Ok got my service manual in the mail today,so i am fairly dangerous. Pulled glow plugs out put wire on end of glow plug other wire end to positive side of batt.and grounded body of gp to neg they got cherry red. Now my question can i use a test light to check the wire that clips on end of glow plug. If i turn the key on and hold down glow plug switch would the test light light up? With key on and holding down gp switch my amp gauge does not move,shouldnt it go down a little? Thanks in advance
A test light will tell you if you have voltage to the circuit just as you suspect. I use a test light for several instances when the location cant be easily seen. Also test lights are not polarity sensitive so you can hook them up clip to neg or clip to pos and the point to the opposite. Your amp guage if working should show the glow system energizing. The glow plugs are a large draw of several amps.

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

A test light will tell you if you have voltage to the circuit just as you suspect. I use a test light for several instances when the location cant be easily seen. Also test lights are not polarity sensitive so you can hook them up clip to neg or clip to pos and the point to the opposite. Your amp guage if working should show the glow system energizing. The glow plugs are a large draw of several amps.
More questions, hooked up my auger and when pushing my thumb to the right auger only spins in reverse nothing happens when pushed to the left. What should i look at? Also my bobcat will move with the seat bar ul. I pushed thd traction lock button but no change. Thanks in advance

Tazza

Staff member
More questions, hooked up my auger and when pushing my thumb to the right auger only spins in reverse nothing happens when pushed to the left. What should i look at? Also my bobcat will move with the seat bar ul. I pushed thd traction lock button but no change. Thanks in advance
If it only works in one direction, you have an issue with the aux control stem or coil for that direction. THey can stick if not used for a while or the coils can burn out.
Look at the control block, there will be two coils on the top, one per side of the thumb switch. If you swap coils on the stems, see if the problem moves or the other direction on the thumb switch will make it move.
You can swap the stems over and see if the problem moves too, to see if it's a coil or the stem.

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

If it only works in one direction, you have an issue with the aux control stem or coil for that direction. THey can stick if not used for a while or the coils can burn out.
Look at the control block, there will be two coils on the top, one per side of the thumb switch. If you swap coils on the stems, see if the problem moves or the other direction on the thumb switch will make it move.
You can swap the stems over and see if the problem moves too, to see if it's a coil or the stem.
Ok swaped coils around. Still same problem auger only spins in reverse (thumb lever pushed to right) Are the stems what the coils slide over top of? Can i switch my auger lines around for a quick fix? What else could it be? Thanks

antfarmer2

Ok swaped coils around. Still same problem auger only spins in reverse (thumb lever pushed to right) Are the stems what the coils slide over top of? Can i switch my auger lines around for a quick fix? What else could it be? Thanks
From what Tazza saying it I am thinking it is the stem but not sure but can change the hydro lines for a quick fix just becarefue to take little bites so you don't get it stuck

antfarmer2

From what Tazza saying it I am thinking it is the stem but not sure but can change the hydro lines for a quick fix just becarefue to take little bites so you don't get it stuck
And with use you might get lucky and your stem free's up

antfarmer2

Are you sure you do not have it set on continous flow

OP
OP
H

hammerswinger

Ok luck is on my side. Switched ths stems around and now auger spins both ways. Although with trigger switch only spins counter clockwise. But heh i'm happy.intil the next problem pops up. Later.....

antfarmer2

Ok luck is on my side. Switched ths stems around and now auger spins both ways. Although with trigger switch only spins counter clockwise. But heh i'm happy.intil the next problem pops up. Later.....
Good to hear just the way I like it cheap and easy