Melroe M444 hydraulic pump misalingment problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GlennsM444

I'm having a problem with hydraulic pump misalingment. I repowered my M444 with a Vanguard 18HP. I attached the appropriate stump shaft adapter to the flywheel side (1 inch standard keyway) and bought Lovejoy couplings for each shaft side (one for the stump shaft and another 3/4 inch 11 splines for the hydraulic pump side.) I eyeballed the alingment and everything seemed to be working fine. The pump started to leak from the shaft seal after about 70 hours. I don't know if this is from misalingment or just that the pump is old (I was hammering on the machine pretty heavily that day.) Anyway, I bought a new pump from LoaderParts Source and since have chewed through one rubber star. My question: Can anyone recommend a way to get the alingment more accurate? Are there available tools for this kind of thing? Or, is there a type of coupling that will give me some more wiggle room?

gearbox

The original mor flex might take up more misalignment but they are spendy I think around $200 . Im doing a 500 with a water cooled 27 HP Vanguard and there is no room for any alignment tools I know of . you may try to put a hose clamp around both halfs of the Lovejoy then snug up the pump and take the hose clamp off . Are you useing a 95 lovejoy ? If you are useing smaller it is too small for 3600 and 18 HP .Hope this helps Gearbox

OP
OP
GlennsM444

GlennsM444

The original mor flex might take up more misalignment but they are spendy I think around $200 . Im doing a 500 with a water cooled 27 HP Vanguard and there is no room for any alignment tools I know of . you may try to put a hose clamp around both halfs of the Lovejoy then snug up the pump and take the hose clamp off . Are you useing a 95 lovejoy ? If you are useing smaller it is too small for 3600 and 18 HP .Hope this helps Gearbox
I ended up tearing through that Lovejoy coupler within 70 hours. Ate through 3 stars and eventually sheared the jaws. I took your advice and picked up a Moreflex coupler. FOR THOSE INTERESTED: Center piece Moreflex #352; Flange for engine side from TracParts.com A-L36-19 (this hooks the 352 to a 1 inch shaft with a .25 keyway.) I don't have a part number for the pump side flange but any Moreflex flange with holes 2 1/4 inches from center will hook to a 352 coupler. The shaft on the original melroe pump is 3/4 splined with 11 splines. Emerson industrial offers Moreflex couplers and flanges for all applications. They have online chat and will hook you up with a retailer. Keep the Melroes running for eternity!