Made!! High Tech Red Neck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmboy55

I'm sitting in my barn, with the horse's, on my laptop. Had nothing I wanted to do here in the rain & mud. So I purchased a wireless router and went wireless. Can't beleive it's working this far away (400 ft--metal building) . So what's going to be the next project?? Have a good one. dennis

Tazza

Staff member
Thats pretty good range, the router will no doubt be inside the house and has to pass through the walls then to the shed and through the walls again.

Tazza

Staff member
Thats pretty good range, the router will no doubt be inside the house and has to pass through the walls then to the shed and through the walls again.
As for a project, i need a set of pallet forks. I have the forks, but no carrier for them :)
As always, so many projects but no time to do them.....

sterlclan

As for a project, i need a set of pallet forks. I have the forks, but no carrier for them :)
As always, so many projects but no time to do them.....
are you a broadband redneck too? I am LUCKY to dial in at 24k

owensge

are you a broadband redneck too? I am LUCKY to dial in at 24k
Sterclan, is there a satellite or wireless option for you where you are in Maine..
I'm doing wireless internet using an omni antenna (100ft up in a tree) that talks to a receiver mounted on the top of my shop (about 3500 ft between the two)... The remote antenna is powered by a 12v deep cycle battery and it's charged using an 80w solar panel.
I'm getting around 1.5mb believe it or not...

skidsteer.ca

Sterclan, is there a satellite or wireless option for you where you are in Maine..
I'm doing wireless internet using an omni antenna (100ft up in a tree) that talks to a receiver mounted on the top of my shop (about 3500 ft between the two)... The remote antenna is powered by a 12v deep cycle battery and it's charged using an 80w solar panel.
I'm getting around 1.5mb believe it or not...
Here in Ontario the goverment has a grant for businesses without hi speed access. The paid 900 of my $1200 satelite dish install.
I mounted it on my shop and have wireless router inside the tin building and a external antena on the outside that covers about a 500' radius around my shop.
I went from 30 k dialup to 500k for 55.00 cdn a month. 2mb is available but its 189.00 a month. I was paying 25 for dialup and i needed a $20 a month extra phone line (to save my marriage) so another 10 for high speed was well worth it. If your a bussiness in ontario and want high speed you should apply to this program, sure glad I did
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Here in Ontario the goverment has a grant for businesses without hi speed access. The paid 900 of my $1200 satelite dish install.
I mounted it on my shop and have wireless router inside the tin building and a external antena on the outside that covers about a 500' radius around my shop.
I went from 30 k dialup to 500k for 55.00 cdn a month. 2mb is available but its 189.00 a month. I was paying 25 for dialup and i needed a $20 a month extra phone line (to save my marriage) so another 10 for high speed was well worth it. If your a bussiness in ontario and want high speed you should apply to this program, sure glad I did
Ken
Where i live is kinda "out in the sticks" i lived for many many years on dialup, then i managed to get sattelite it was amazing having speed!. But as always, price went up data limits came down so i said good bye.
In the last year or 2 we got ADSL installed locally and i was finally allowed to get access, freeing up a dedicated phone line for the satellite at $30 odd per month!!!
These days i don't know how i ever lived on dialup internet......
We also had government rebates for satellite access in areas not covered by ADSL, but of course i wasn't *worthy* of one of those.

OP
OP
F

farmboy55

Where i live is kinda "out in the sticks" i lived for many many years on dialup, then i managed to get sattelite it was amazing having speed!. But as always, price went up data limits came down so i said good bye.
In the last year or 2 we got ADSL installed locally and i was finally allowed to get access, freeing up a dedicated phone line for the satellite at $30 odd per month!!!
These days i don't know how i ever lived on dialup internet......
We also had government rebates for satellite access in areas not covered by ADSL, but of course i wasn't *worthy* of one of those.
Hello Mine is a Satellite. I think it's 50 bucks a mo. I'm border line in the barn. Need some kind of antenna for the laptop. Linksy has one that plugs into the USB port. And by the way I do have a room/office in the barn 12x24 heated, bathroom frig. & TV. So it's not to bad to get ran out of the house!!!!! dennis I just made a set of pallet forks. Took a peice of 1/2" flat stock over to my cuz's and had him to cut the noches out for the top slide on his C&C machine. Also made a bale spear. Pretty easy when you have the equipment. Next will be a land plane.

skidsteer.ca

Hello Mine is a Satellite. I think it's 50 bucks a mo. I'm border line in the barn. Need some kind of antenna for the laptop. Linksy has one that plugs into the USB port. And by the way I do have a room/office in the barn 12x24 heated, bathroom frig. & TV. So it's not to bad to get ran out of the house!!!!! dennis I just made a set of pallet forks. Took a peice of 1/2" flat stock over to my cuz's and had him to cut the noches out for the top slide on his C&C machine. Also made a bale spear. Pretty easy when you have the equipment. Next will be a land plane.
Dennis
You just need a external antennae on you wireless router and mount it up on the house. I got one off ebay for $70 usd. I can take the laptop out anywhere is my yard, at least 500 feet.
Ken

sterlclan

Dennis
You just need a external antennae on you wireless router and mount it up on the house. I got one off ebay for $70 usd. I can take the laptop out anywhere is my yard, at least 500 feet.
Ken
no cable no dsl satelite dosent fit in the budget at the current time at least i dont get slammed with spyware (takes too long to download) I still do everything I did when I had broadband "it just takes a little longer" Jeff

OP
OP
F

farmboy55

no cable no dsl satelite dosent fit in the budget at the current time at least i dont get slammed with spyware (takes too long to download) I still do everything I did when I had broadband "it just takes a little longer" Jeff
I guess the next step is to get the laptop into the 853 ?? 2 feet to operated bucket, two hands for movement & steering of Bobcat. Not much left to operate laptop !! I'm sure I couldn't afford the option even if they had it. Have a good day and keep the tire/track side down. dennis