Machining Referance Material

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
The expading reamer method may do the job but would not be my preffered method. Do you have access to one in the correct size and with a pilot? Make sure the cutting edges of the blades are sharp otherwise it mess up the hole. Even with a pilot you can still have problems keeping the bores in line with each other so be carefull. What material is the housing made from?
I don't have access to one thats the rite size. The housing is aluminum, so its pretty soft. I hope to get a chance to work on it over the weekend and i can measure just how much wear is there.

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

I don't have access to one thats the rite size. The housing is aluminum, so its pretty soft. I hope to get a chance to work on it over the weekend and i can measure just how much wear is there.
tazza I think I misunderstood what levers you were talking about in my emails. Luther was right about honing on the aluminum levers it would be quick. If you get a chance drop in a picture.

Tazza

Staff member
tazza I think I misunderstood what levers you were talking about in my emails. Luther was right about honing on the aluminum levers it would be quick. If you get a chance drop in a picture.
Sure!
Hopefully i will get to it this weekend, i have been a bit lazy... Really its a job i could do one evening, either way i wil post pictures!

Tazza

Staff member
Sure!
Hopefully i will get to it this weekend, i have been a bit lazy... Really its a job i could do one evening, either way i wil post pictures!
I think i know how i'm going to tackle it though. The outside of the casting is pretty good for being round. I will make a bushing to go on the end to centre it in the tail stock, then cut 2 sections near the ends so they are smooth and round. Use a fixed steady running on the machined section of the casting and use a boring bar to cut the inside of the housing. I just need to make sure i keep the speed low so the alloy doesn't gaul up on me and cause problems. Lots of oil too. Do one side then spin it around for the other. I have 2 of these castings to do, i don't understand how they wore out, this is the section that runs a nylon bush. The bush is un-worn, but the housing is egg shape at the ends!!!! I'll clean up the wear on the ends and make bushings to suit. I'll only remove as much as i need then match the new bushings to the new hole. I don't want to remove more metal than needed as the casting will be getting a little too thin, about .1" out on one side, so i need to remove .2" to get it round again..... There is still enough meat but i don't want to push my luck.
152_5292.jpg

152_5293.jpg