LX865 Final drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hotspark

I'm sure glad to find this forum.I have problem with my lx865.Iwas using it yesterday and the left front drive axle popped and strated to come out of the bearing housing.I can't pull it all the way out.Is this going to be a hard fix and or costly? Thanks Ted

skidsteer.ca

Sounds like your wheel bearings gave out. You should open up you chain case and see if the sprocket came off the axel, got chewed up or damaged the chain. If the chain and sprocket look good the bearings should not be to bad, but the labour to change is not easy work. Can't speak forNH but on a Bob it involves jacks or porta powers to pull the bearings and races out and back into the axel tubes.
Tazza has a thread going on his 751 with pics, I would expect it to be quite simular
Ken

mllud

Sounds like your wheel bearings gave out. You should open up you chain case and see if the sprocket came off the axel, got chewed up or damaged the chain. If the chain and sprocket look good the bearings should not be to bad, but the labour to change is not easy work. Can't speak forNH but on a Bob it involves jacks or porta powers to pull the bearings and races out and back into the axel tubes.
Tazza has a thread going on his 751 with pics, I would expect it to be quite simular
Ken
There is a snap ring that holds the bearings and the axle together. that snap ring has broken. The sprocket just slides on the spline as you intall the housing and axle. the most critical thing is to get the end play on the bearings right. The dealer sells shims in different thickness. You set the bearings like you would with an axle nut accept you shim until you can just slip the snap ring on and not have to much end play or have the bearings to tight. I dont know what the end play spec. is. I set mine by feel. If you didnt damage bearings,axle or seals. it should be inexpensive. Mike

mllud

There is a snap ring that holds the bearings and the axle together. that snap ring has broken. The sprocket just slides on the spline as you intall the housing and axle. the most critical thing is to get the end play on the bearings right. The dealer sells shims in different thickness. You set the bearings like you would with an axle nut accept you shim until you can just slip the snap ring on and not have to much end play or have the bearings to tight. I dont know what the end play spec. is. I set mine by feel. If you didnt damage bearings,axle or seals. it should be inexpensive. Mike
I guess I didnt help with the disasembly. Unbolt your axle housing and remove the side cover on your chain case. The axle housing has sloted holes that allow you to get enough slack in the chain to slip it off the sprocket. then the axle and houing should slide off the sprocket. Dont look for a master link on the chain. there isnt one. i got slimed feeling around looking for nothing. you set chain tension with the sloted holes in the axle housing/ Mike

OP
OP
H

hotspark

I guess I didnt help with the disasembly. Unbolt your axle housing and remove the side cover on your chain case. The axle housing has sloted holes that allow you to get enough slack in the chain to slip it off the sprocket. then the axle and houing should slide off the sprocket. Dont look for a master link on the chain. there isnt one. i got slimed feeling around looking for nothing. you set chain tension with the sloted holes in the axle housing/ Mike
I got a new bearing kit for the final drive.My first question is on reassembling the drive do you press the inside bearing up tight to the bearing race cup,does the bearing stop or can you over press the asembly?Thanks for the help

mllud

I got a new bearing kit for the final drive.My first question is on reassembling the drive do you press the inside bearing up tight to the bearing race cup,does the bearing stop or can you over press the asembly?Thanks for the help
When you talk about the inside I guess your talking about the Last bearing going on. You would want the bearing to seat and not have any back and forth. dont put a lot of presure when seating the bearing.After your bearing i seated grab the axle and push and pull lightly , you shouldnt have back and forth movement.
You have to put the right amount of shims between the snap ring and the bearing. When its all assembled it should turn freely, not be tight and not allow the axle to move back and forth in the housing.
When you set the bearing on a truck you take it up snug. Turn the hub and feel when it gets resistance while tuning,and you back off on the nut just enough for it to smooth out. [No Binding] No Slop]
Since you dont have the axle nut to ajust the end play you have to get those shims right.Skid steer tire get a lot of side force. the parts guy said people swing around and hit the side of the wheel and that cracks those snap rings I caught mine when I had 1\4 inch back and forth movement.
Put sealer on your axle housing when you put it back on. Hope this helps. Mike

heatpumpproducts

When you talk about the inside I guess your talking about the Last bearing going on. You would want the bearing to seat and not have any back and forth. dont put a lot of presure when seating the bearing.After your bearing i seated grab the axle and push and pull lightly , you shouldnt have back and forth movement.
You have to put the right amount of shims between the snap ring and the bearing. When its all assembled it should turn freely, not be tight and not allow the axle to move back and forth in the housing.
When you set the bearing on a truck you take it up snug. Turn the hub and feel when it gets resistance while tuning,and you back off on the nut just enough for it to smooth out. [No Binding] No Slop]
Since you dont have the axle nut to ajust the end play you have to get those shims right.Skid steer tire get a lot of side force. the parts guy said people swing around and hit the side of the wheel and that cracks those snap rings I caught mine when I had 1\4 inch back and forth movement.
Put sealer on your axle housing when you put it back on. Hope this helps. Mike
whats the chain drive tension , how do you know when i have set it corectly , what oil do i use and when should the oil in the chain case be changed , about how many liters will i need for each side .

mllud

whats the chain drive tension , how do you know when i have set it corectly , what oil do i use and when should the oil in the chain case be changed , about how many liters will i need for each side .
Heatpumpproducts;
With the chains tight ,the tires should rock back and forth about 1/4 inch.
I used close to 5 gallons to change the oil in both of my chain cases. There is a pipe plug on the side of the chain case behind the front tire, close to the bottom. You fill with oil until the oil is up to the bottom of that hole. With the skid steer sitting level. Mike

mllud

Heatpumpproducts;
With the chains tight ,the tires should rock back and forth about 1/4 inch.
I used close to 5 gallons to change the oil in both of my chain cases. There is a pipe plug on the side of the chain case behind the front tire, close to the bottom. You fill with oil until the oil is up to the bottom of that hole. With the skid steer sitting level. Mike
The chain cases use 80/90 gear oil.