LX 485 Hydraulic Problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Playguitar

Hi, I'm new here and I need help ! Last September my loader was groaning and very slow when I was lifting and tilting up and there were bubbles in the oil. Also the metal pipes coming from the pump under the seat were getting very hot. Then one day all the oil leaked out and the machine shut itself down. So I left it in my mulch yard and forgot about it until now. I use it to load mulch and tis the season ! Anyway I pressure washed it recently and put oil in the hydraulic tank [the plastic one in the engine compartment]. The oil just poured right out. Is my tank cracked or do I have a hose leak? How do I get to it ? How do I lift up the cab ? Do I need special lifting jacks ? I do have access to a forklift. So many questions and no answers. Please if someone could put me on the right track. Thanks for all replies.

mllud

You were probably sucking air into your hyraulic system from the same hose that is now leaking. I would start with the hose at the very botton of the tank.It comes out the side. This hose is your suction line , it feeds your system. Its not easy to get to from the top on my 865 , idont know how much room you have on yours. There are several plates on the bottom that can be removed that could give you acess. I think you can fix without lifting the cab.
Now to lift the cab they do sell a cab jack kit. Its basically brackits to hold it after youve tilted it. Unlolt the rear cab bolts by the tanks. then take the two front mounting bolts closest tt the rear. this leaves the other two bolts in front to hinge from. losen them a little. you have to disconnect your parking brake linkage by removing cotter keys.I tilted my cab by getting a truck in front of the machine and a tractor behind the machine. , take a chain to the top of the cab on both sides. as you pull to tilt from the front give slack from the rear. You will reach the point of the weight of the weight of the cab going over center and shifting to the rear chain having the weight. then just lower it and support the front with something.As you go watch for wire harneses that may need to be disconnected. my loader is a lx865 so yours may have something else to disconect. Go slow and be carefull.
By the way this thread will probably be moved to the New Holland Forum. Look down the list of Forums there is one for New Holland. Mike

mllud

You were probably sucking air into your hyraulic system from the same hose that is now leaking. I would start with the hose at the very botton of the tank.It comes out the side. This hose is your suction line , it feeds your system. Its not easy to get to from the top on my 865 , idont know how much room you have on yours. There are several plates on the bottom that can be removed that could give you acess. I think you can fix without lifting the cab.
Now to lift the cab they do sell a cab jack kit. Its basically brackits to hold it after youve tilted it. Unlolt the rear cab bolts by the tanks. then take the two front mounting bolts closest tt the rear. this leaves the other two bolts in front to hinge from. losen them a little. you have to disconnect your parking brake linkage by removing cotter keys.I tilted my cab by getting a truck in front of the machine and a tractor behind the machine. , take a chain to the top of the cab on both sides. as you pull to tilt from the front give slack from the rear. You will reach the point of the weight of the weight of the cab going over center and shifting to the rear chain having the weight. then just lower it and support the front with something.As you go watch for wire harneses that may need to be disconnected. my loader is a lx865 so yours may have something else to disconect. Go slow and be carefull.
By the way this thread will probably be moved to the New Holland Forum. Look down the list of Forums there is one for New Holland. Mike
Your fenders also have to be removed to tilt the cab.

OP
OP
P

Playguitar

Here is a thread on tilting the cab, this is a ls 160, but it will be simular.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=13106
Ken
Thanks for all your help guys. I finally completed this project last week !!!! I removed the skid plate from under the seat and fixed the hose coming from below the hydraulic tank. I also changed the rusted out pipes coming from the hydraulic pump. But, now, when i try to tip the bucket up or lift it moves really slow. Do you think I connected these pipes "backwards" to the hoses on the side.? I know that the hoses to my right as I am sitting inside the machine are correct. I did not mark the ones to my left when I disconnected and could have installed them backwards. I'm such a rookie !!

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for all your help guys. I finally completed this project last week !!!! I removed the skid plate from under the seat and fixed the hose coming from below the hydraulic tank. I also changed the rusted out pipes coming from the hydraulic pump. But, now, when i try to tip the bucket up or lift it moves really slow. Do you think I connected these pipes "backwards" to the hoses on the side.? I know that the hoses to my right as I am sitting inside the machine are correct. I did not mark the ones to my left when I disconnected and could have installed them backwards. I'm such a rookie !!
Make sure you did not enguage your aux hydraulics (front couplers or 3rd valve as some call them) by acccident as this can cause weird things to happen. The wheels work fine? You have operated it long enough to get the air out of the system? How many hoses did you remove and replace? Its hard to say what might happen if you mix them up. Just a few thoughts, hope it helps.
Ken