LS180 Charging Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

B.Mo315

So my LS180 has me stumped... It's just not charging. I've replaced the alternator with a brand new one from my New Holland supplier...also has a new battery from Fisher auto. All terminals were cleaned. The in-dash volt meter is showing fluctuations between 9.8v and 14.2v. There's days when its better and stays closer to 14-12ish but lately its been hovering between 9-11 and now its more like 9.8. setting the idle higher or lower seems to have little effect most times. When I replaced the alternator...it was already remover prior to my acquiring the skidsteer. I figured where it went and hooked it up (I'm and auto mechanic of 5 years...I know what I'm doing)... so my thinking now is could the pulley size be incorrect? what governs the voltage regulator in the alternator? or where should I start poking wires? Thanks!

mfyock

Did you measure the voltage at the battery with the machine running and charging? I have had many LX/LS skidsteers that the dash voltage shows low but they run/start and drive just fine. I have one right now that the dash shows 5 volts when you turn the key. Machine cranks and fires right up...

OP
OP
B

B.Mo315

Did you measure the voltage at the battery with the machine running and charging? I have had many LX/LS skidsteers that the dash voltage shows low but they run/start and drive just fine. I have one right now that the dash shows 5 volts when you turn the key. Machine cranks and fires right up...
i know its not charging because i have to jump start the thing every time

BijouHills54

Check if you have voltage to the resistor below fuse box in engine compartment you will hve 12 volts on one side and about 8-9 volts on other side and I think its the the yellow/dark blue wire on alternator with female spade end I had and LX885 that would not charge and the
yellow/dark blue was open from the round Duetcsh plug under fuse box I ran a new wire from it to alternator from plug and voltage when running should be 13.6-14 volts depending on charge of battery.

Attachments

• Alternator wiring.pdf
    255.1 KB · Views: 125

^Space^

So my LS180 has me stumped... It's just not charging. I've replaced the alternator with a brand new one from my New Holland supplier...also has a new battery from Fisher auto. All terminals were cleaned. The in-dash volt meter is showing fluctuations between 9.8v and 14.2v. There's days when its better and stays closer to 14-12ish but lately its been hovering between 9-11 and now its more like 9.8. setting the idle higher or lower seems to have little effect most times. When I replaced the alternator...it was already remover prior to my acquiring the skidsteer. I figured where it went and hooked it up (I'm and auto mechanic of 5 years...I know what I'm doing)... so my thinking now is could the pulley size be incorrect? what governs the voltage regulator in the alternator? or where should I start poking wires? Thanks!
If all else fails buy one of the newer 1 wire alternators. I use them on tractors they are self regulating and once they reach 800 rpms or so they start charging, then you cut off key they don't discharge.