Low rpms v2203 kubota DI engine swap out of reefer unit into 763 bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mfoust

Hi guys nice forum: Have a problem. Have a 1997 763 c series. Motor blew, ordered a used Kubota v2203DI out of a reefer unit. I paid a guy to install the motor. Original motor was a kubota v2203 E. (46 hp), the replacement motor is a 2203 DI (51hp)out of reefer unit. Motor was installed and the motor sounds great, but when you full throttle the motor it seems like it is 1/2 throttle. My guess is governer springs . I mean this motor seems like it is only at 1000 rpms at full throttle. Anyone experienced this problem? I'm stumped. Old motor would rev up a lot higher(original motor 6300 hours) used motor seems like it revs up 1/2 as high. Injection pump?? All oil pan, brackets off old motor were put on this motor etc. Any ideas how to fix this. Dealership has no clue. I use this to dig holes so running at 1/2 throttle will not turn The auger quick enough. I use this machine everyday so I need it fixed. All help appreciated. Mike

OldMachinist

Reefer motor is likely set to run a constant 1800 rpms. and the original motor was variable from 1100-3000 rpms. The easiest fix would be if you still have the old motor is to swap the governor springs and speed control plate from it to the new motor.
If you don't have the old motor then you'll need to get a kit from a Kubota engine dealer with the parts to convert it.

OP
OP
M

mfoust

Reefer motor is likely set to run a constant 1800 rpms. and the original motor was variable from 1100-3000 rpms. The easiest fix would be if you still have the old motor is to swap the governor springs and speed control plate from it to the new motor.
If you don't have the old motor then you'll need to get a kit from a Kubota engine dealer with the parts to convert it.
Thanks OldMachinist. Does anyone know if this Is common to have this problem if a novice error like this is done. The old motor is gone. Not sure what the speed control plate looks like. Could I replace this and governor springs or is it complicated? Not sure if knowing the serial number helps me with finding out this information on this motor rpms /parts etc. from kubota or if you guys know. Serial number is #236564 on the used motor i purchased, or you can see the serial number in the video below from youtube. Its a v2203 DI motor which is a little different then the original. Here is the youtube video of the motor I bought if that helps anyone help me figure this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WQICAsTgHOE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWQICAsTgHOE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop The other thing, after the motor was installed, I noticed the machine doesent start well in the winter. When the other motor was in, the heat button worked great. I dont even think the heat button works in this motor now. I have to literally keep the starter engaged for 30 plus seconds to keep the motor running to get it to idle until it warms up. Everyone Ive talked to said the DI's are better motors because the heads are different and they start up better in the winter. Not this motor. Glow Plug maybe not installed right? I just hate having machinery I use everyday half a##ed. I love these 763s, just need someone who has been there and done that to help me through the process. My guess is the posters on this site have more hands on experience then most dealers. The bobcat dealership in my area never dealt with such an issue, according to the head mechanic manager. Found that hard to believe. I deal with Doer's and Innovators not wanna bes who want to just bolt parts on and sell you the world. Thanks again for everyone who posts on this, you guys are great help!

OP
OP
M

mfoust

Thanks OldMachinist. Does anyone know if this Is common to have this problem if a novice error like this is done. The old motor is gone. Not sure what the speed control plate looks like. Could I replace this and governor springs or is it complicated? Not sure if knowing the serial number helps me with finding out this information on this motor rpms /parts etc. from kubota or if you guys know. Serial number is #236564 on the used motor i purchased, or you can see the serial number in the video below from youtube. Its a v2203 DI motor which is a little different then the original. Here is the youtube video of the motor I bought if that helps anyone help me figure this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WQICAsTgHOE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWQICAsTgHOE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop The other thing, after the motor was installed, I noticed the machine doesent start well in the winter. When the other motor was in, the heat button worked great. I dont even think the heat button works in this motor now. I have to literally keep the starter engaged for 30 plus seconds to keep the motor running to get it to idle until it warms up. Everyone Ive talked to said the DI's are better motors because the heads are different and they start up better in the winter. Not this motor. Glow Plug maybe not installed right? I just hate having machinery I use everyday half a##ed. I love these 763s, just need someone who has been there and done that to help me through the process. My guess is the posters on this site have more hands on experience then most dealers. The bobcat dealership in my area never dealt with such an issue, according to the head mechanic manager. Found that hard to believe. I deal with Doer's and Innovators not wanna bes who want to just bolt parts on and sell you the world. Thanks again for everyone who posts on this, you guys are great help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WQICAsTgHOE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWQICAsTgHOE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop

OldMachinist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WQICAsTgHOE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWQICAsTgHOE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop
I know its a common problem with swapping reefer engines into something else.
If you search the internet for "V2203 swap" you'll see they get swapped into all kinds of things.