Low hour machine with no crank issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ColtonS

I have a 2016 Mustang 1500R with right around 1000hrs on it. It was running and operating as normal the last time it was used. After parking it for a few days it now sounds an alarm, the coolant temp light is on and it will not crank.

Naturally I checked all wires and connections, everything is still in good shape.

I replaced the coolant temp sensor with an oem from manitou but no change.

I bought a scan tool to get DTC's but no communication so I assumed ecm was bad. I sent off the ecm to get checked/serviced (all was good) reinstalled but the machine still won't crank and the scan tool won't pull DTC's.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated on getting this machine going again, I'll even pay a gratuity to the first person that nails this issue on the head for me.

Attachments

• F531695A-47AB-492F-A9A6-81440B645E19.jpeg
    F531695A-47AB-492F-A9A6-81440B645E19.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4335.MOV
    25.6 MB

mrbb

maybe a dumb question but are you sure the battery is good, incorrect voltage/amps, can cause things tio not fuction as they should and could effect ability to maybe get readings on a code reader

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

maybe a dumb question but are you sure the battery is good, incorrect voltage/amps, can cause things tio not fuction as they should and could effect ability to maybe get readings on a code reader
I haven't put my battery tester to it but the gauge shows it's good and when I jump the starter it turns the motor over like it should.

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

could it be a bad ignition key switch?
At this point I'm considering all avenues but would that cause the temp alarm? I tried to attach an image and video of what it's doing, not sure if it's viewable or not though.

Firefighter

i think there is a seat/ lap bar switch or brake switch part of the start circut maybe one of them faulty or possibly blown fuse.
if u unhook the temp sensor the light should go off if not its probably picking up a ground some where causing it to turn on
possibly thru a rubbed wire

mrbb

At this point I'm considering all avenues but would that cause the temp alarm? I tried to attach an image and video of what it's doing, not sure if it's viewable or not though.
I'm no expert but many lights come on the display on some machines when the key is turned, and don't go off this machine actually starts.

so, yes the temp light MIGHT come on normally when key is turned,
if its something new, that never happened before, well then, I guess that might indicate something else,
but on many machine, it is normal for lights to come on when key is turned

and that doesn;t mean ignition key switch is good, just cause a few lights on display come on,
I have replaced two key switches on my one skid steer over the past 8 yrs, quality in many parts today ain;'t what they used to be,even when buying so called OEM parts, a lot of them are sourced out to made in China junk, with high prices over the same china junk on Ebay and like places for fraction of dealer price!
not claiming it is your switch that is bad(though it could be) I'm , just saying, the temp light coming on with key turning on, can be normal, do you recall it coming on before this no start, or don't remember??

and I know you stated you checked all electrical connection, but have you checked all fuses to be good?, no corrosion on any, and also, some machines have more than one fuse box, , some times we forget or miss!

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

The temp light is definitely not normal and it gives an audible alarm once the light comes on. I'll go over my wire schematics again but I'm pretty confident I've gone over everything related to the sensor without busting open the harness.

Does anyone know much about the control module under the cab that has all of the LED lights on it? Could it possibly have the answer or be the culprit to my problems?

mrbb

could it then be a bad temp sensor?
if a sensor was reading things were too hot, they will not allow the machine to start
I have had them fail on other things,Mostly honda ATv's) where the wire would get damaged and that was enough to make the sensor fail and light up idiot light and prevent motor from starting
on the atv's they attached to the oil belly pan more or less, screwed in and were pretty easy to replace, did have to either drain oil or be really fast though, HAHA!
SO maybe your machine has an oil temp sensor that has failed

mrbb

another thought, is, check your glow plugs, I have heard that on some Mustang models, there glow plugs become loose over time, not sure if they would cause your temp light to come on, but, worth checking maybe,. and if not them, maybe have a look at this
maybe it can help you, not the same issues, but??

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

could it then be a bad temp sensor?
if a sensor was reading things were too hot, they will not allow the machine to start
I have had them fail on other things,Mostly honda ATv's) where the wire would get damaged and that was enough to make the sensor fail and light up idiot light and prevent motor from starting
on the atv's they attached to the oil belly pan more or less, screwed in and were pretty easy to replace, did have to either drain oil or be really fast though, HAHA!
SO maybe your machine has an oil temp sensor that has failed
I changed the coolant temp sensor because that is the light/alarm I'm getting. I honestly never thought to check for an oil temp sensor but now I will.

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

another thought, is, check your glow plugs, I have heard that on some Mustang models, there glow plugs become loose over time, not sure if they would cause your temp light to come on, but, worth checking maybe,. and if not them, maybe have a look at this
maybe it can help you, not the same issues, but??

You could be on to something with that link but my machine is a common rail so it uses an ecm, and unfortunately isn't quite as simple as switches and relays like the older mechanical injection machines… if it were mechanically injected I would have already had it running lol

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

Is it possible to bybass all of the sensors and such without the use of resistors? If not does anyone know what kind of ohms each and every sensor needs?

OP
OP
C

ColtonS

For anyone that's wondering, there is an 18 pin connector under the cab that connectors the ecm to the control module. Somehow I have overlooked the connector but found it today, it was very corroded. I cleaned it up and all is good now.

Attachments

• B8FBA6AE-69FE-461B-B6BA-AC44CB30E981.jpeg
    B8FBA6AE-69FE-461B-B6BA-AC44CB30E981.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 56

mrbb

glad you found your issue,
and its not funny how a little corrosion can be such a nightmare!