Mustang 545 Starter Issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Napper2

I have an intermittent problem while trying to start my 545. It has a Perkins 4.154 Diesel engine. Occasionally when I turn the key to start, all I get is a clicking sound at the starter. If I turn the key off and on multiple times, I will often get the starter to engage and it will fire right up. I have replaced the solenoid and the battery and still have the problem. It does not do it every time, sometimes the first time I hit the key it fires right up. Any thoughts?

Someone mentioned if there was enough of a voltage drop when hitting the key this would not be enough power to engage the solenoid and starter. If this the case how would I diagnosis and find the problem?

Thanks!

brdgbldr

I used to have the same problem with one of my machines. It ended up being a loose blade type wire connection. It was loose enough to cause the problem but not so loose that it was easy to find. Once I traced the ignition wire and found it, I just pinched the blade connector so that it fit tight and no more problem.

The ignition itself is a good place to start. They are normally pretty cheap ( thus the reason they fail ) and easy to replace. If that doesn't work you'll have to trace the wires and look for any loose connections or anyplace that the wires may have rubbed through.

Also, make sure that your ground wire connections are good at the grounding points. The bolts that hold these in will rust or get loose and cause all sorts of problems.

Firefighter

Wire in a relay at the starter & your problem should go away, u have low voltage on the start wire at the starter

OP
OP
N

Napper2

Thanks for your replies. I worked on it last night and think I found the problem(s). Loose and rusted ground wires. Oddly enough this also solved the intermittent lighting problem I have been having.

Some time just need someone to tell you to start at the basics.

OP
OP
N

Napper2

Well still acting up a bit. What type or size of relay would I wire in at the starter and where? Since there is only one large positive wire going to starter, I guess it would go there?

Thanks
Wire in a relay at the starter & your problem should go away, u have low voltage on the start wire at the starter

Firefighter

Napa GRO 841080 Relay w/ Pigtail or something similar would work well. 4 Wires get used
1 gets connected to Ground, 1 to Battery positive, 1 to Start wire from key switch & 1 to Start terminal on Starter

OP
OP
N

Napper2

Napa GRO 841080 Relay w/ Pigtail or something similar would work well. 4 Wires get used
1 gets connected to Ground, 1 to Battery positive, 1 to Start wire from key switch & 1 to Start terminal on Starter
Okay thanks will give that a try.

chetmo

Thanks for your replies. I worked on it last night and think I found the problem(s). Loose and rusted ground wires. Oddly enough this also solved the intermittent lighting problem I have been having.

Some time just need someone to tell you to start at the basics.
I have exactly the same problem. Where did you find the loose ground? thanks

Latest posts