looking for actuator part number 7104842

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Axel

Does anyone know a good source for buying a bobcat actuator(part number 7104842)? it can be a used one if in good condition. thanks

SkidRoe

There were a pair from a 763 that sold on eBay last year for nearly $700, not that helps much... What are they worth new from Bobcat?

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

There were a pair from a 763 that sold on eBay last year for nearly $700, not that helps much... What are they worth new from Bobcat?
Yes those two do show up at the top of a google search. do you know of any other deals like that? they are each about $500 new from dealer.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes those two do show up at the top of a google search. do you know of any other deals like that? they are each about $500 new from dealer.
There was a member on here that used to buy old ones and possibly sell working ones....
Just keep in mind that if you get a new actuator, you will probably need to get the dealer to program the computer. Older software may not be compatible with newer actuators, so keep that in mind if you get one and it doesn't work.
Are you able to open the old one and clean it out? i have never opened one up, so i don't know.

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

There was a member on here that used to buy old ones and possibly sell working ones....
Just keep in mind that if you get a new actuator, you will probably need to get the dealer to program the computer. Older software may not be compatible with newer actuators, so keep that in mind if you get one and it doesn't work.
Are you able to open the old one and clean it out? i have never opened one up, so i don't know.
Yes I opened up the original actuator that failed before buying a new one. I was told that cleaning is usually ineffective.. I used rags for the oil and some super fine steel wool to clean carbon deposits from copper points. I also opened the other actuator(older style but surprisingly still working)to see how it looked, seemed clean so I put it back. Having replaced the failed actuator(new style) and Tilt/Lift still not working, I then proceeded(in my spare time) to go through basically every component of the AHC system over the course of a year. I might now be somewhat of an expert in AHC systems in older bobcats lol. Now after having run out of ideas It has become painfully obvious that the old style actuator which had originally worked fine, may have decided to quit after I opened it up for inspection. Yesterday out of curiosity I plugged in the original failed actuator(new style) in place of the old style actuator and the LED lights cleared! I originally installed it when I still had the old handle with non working error LEDs. Since this machine has only ever had one "new style" actuator I had to order another adapter so it can be installed. the adapter should arrive in the next few days!

Tazza

Staff member
Yes I opened up the original actuator that failed before buying a new one. I was told that cleaning is usually ineffective.. I used rags for the oil and some super fine steel wool to clean carbon deposits from copper points. I also opened the other actuator(older style but surprisingly still working)to see how it looked, seemed clean so I put it back. Having replaced the failed actuator(new style) and Tilt/Lift still not working, I then proceeded(in my spare time) to go through basically every component of the AHC system over the course of a year. I might now be somewhat of an expert in AHC systems in older bobcats lol. Now after having run out of ideas It has become painfully obvious that the old style actuator which had originally worked fine, may have decided to quit after I opened it up for inspection. Yesterday out of curiosity I plugged in the original failed actuator(new style) in place of the old style actuator and the LED lights cleared! I originally installed it when I still had the old handle with non working error LEDs. Since this machine has only ever had one "new style" actuator I had to order another adapter so it can be installed. the adapter should arrive in the next few days!
Wow, seem like they are very picky, glad i have stayed away from AHC machines, things like this would drive me crazy.

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

Wow, seem like they are very picky, glad i have stayed away from AHC machines, things like this would drive me crazy.
The adapter/spacer has arrived! I was in the process of installing and found that the original bolts from the old style actuator are too short as I suspected. Yesterday(while ordering) I had called two separate dealers about bolt length, they both said that it shouldn't be an issue since no part number for bolts shows up on their parts catalog. The local hardware store didn't have the correct length so I got slightly longer ones and may have to cut them. also, the ones from the newer actuator are grade 8 but all I could find at the hardware store where regular black steel like the original short ones for the old style actuator. Could their be so much more stress on the bolts from the newer style actuator to require grade 8 bolts?

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

The adapter/spacer has arrived! I was in the process of installing and found that the original bolts from the old style actuator are too short as I suspected. Yesterday(while ordering) I had called two separate dealers about bolt length, they both said that it shouldn't be an issue since no part number for bolts shows up on their parts catalog. The local hardware store didn't have the correct length so I got slightly longer ones and may have to cut them. also, the ones from the newer actuator are grade 8 but all I could find at the hardware store where regular black steel like the original short ones for the old style actuator. Could their be so much more stress on the bolts from the newer style actuator to require grade 8 bolts?
can I use actuator with part number 7101672 in place of actuator part number 7104842?

Tazza

Staff member
can I use actuator with part number 7101672 in place of actuator part number 7104842?
I don't see there being that much load to require grade 8 bolts.
Sorry, no clue on the part numbers :( the numbers could be updated for the same part?

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

I don't see there being that much load to require grade 8 bolts.
Sorry, no clue on the part numbers :( the numbers could be updated for the same part?
So I just hooked up the cleaned actuator. it passed the error codes. However, it seems that the neutral position has shifted in it, because when I pressed the "press to operate" button, the bucket immediately curled and would not return. but I can lift and lower the boom! seems like an improvement... when installing this actuator I had to keep pushing it in so that the bolts could be started. Kind of like it needs a bigger spacer by about a quarter inch. the spacer i just installed is identical to the other one and the both actuators are now the same part number. What is the normal center/neutral position for these actuators? mine seems to center so that the ram is pulled in with its end flush with the end of the barrel. it was very difficult to pull it out for installation.

Tazza

Staff member
So I just hooked up the cleaned actuator. it passed the error codes. However, it seems that the neutral position has shifted in it, because when I pressed the "press to operate" button, the bucket immediately curled and would not return. but I can lift and lower the boom! seems like an improvement... when installing this actuator I had to keep pushing it in so that the bolts could be started. Kind of like it needs a bigger spacer by about a quarter inch. the spacer i just installed is identical to the other one and the both actuators are now the same part number. What is the normal center/neutral position for these actuators? mine seems to center so that the ram is pulled in with its end flush with the end of the barrel. it was very difficult to pull it out for installation.
Is there a procedure to set neutral?

7LBSSMALLIE

there is a manual calibration. for this
keep in mind that actuator failure can be caused by a bindining or sticky spool. unless the spool moves freely you overwork the 12v motor and smoke it. 500 bucks is a big hit for overlookining a stuck detent ball in the float position in the lift spool

OP
OP
Axel

Axel

keep in mind that actuator failure can be caused by a bindining or sticky spool. unless the spool moves freely you overwork the 12v motor and smoke it. 500 bucks is a big hit for overlookining a stuck detent ball in the float position in the lift spool
Today I manually reset neutral in the old style actuator(which I also installed) and it works for now. It seems that when I originally opened it I must have moved some of the gears. I also started to reset it the newer actuator but decided to finish if/when I need it. Yes I had checked the spools for binding several times, even reinstalled them a second time after originally resealing. had to remove a whole lot of hydraulic lines and even the hydraulic fill hose to pull them out. Even with the lines disconnected, bizarrely awkward only begins to describe removing the spools in this machine. Anyways seems all is ok for now. hopefully I will not need to ever revisit this thread now that I have what looks like a spare actuator. Reseting neutral in an actuator probably deserves a whole new thread.