Lift JD250 Cab

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wjjeeper

Today I broke something down in the machine under the cab. I tried to lift the boom and lock it in place, but didn't have enough hydraulic pressure. So my questions are: 1- Will I be able to lift the cab and lock it inplace with the boom arms down all the way? 2- Is there provisions built into the pumps so that they weren't run dry and damaged? 3- What is the hydraulic oil capacity of the machine so I know how many gallons I be expecting to put back into the machine once the repairs are done? I'm guessing I broke a hose or fitting??

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

You can always use another machine or a chain hoist to lift the boom.
Ken
Neither are an option. Am I looking at filling the hydraulic oil just so I can lift the boom and basically say bye-bye to whatever I have to put into the machine to get the boom up?

jwfarm

Neither are an option. Am I looking at filling the hydraulic oil just so I can lift the boom and basically say bye-bye to whatever I have to put into the machine to get the boom up?
From a safety standpoint, I would be hesitant to add oil and try to lift the boom if you are going to be working under it. Even with it locked. If the oil is getting away somewhere. I would think that you could lift the cab and get to what needs fixed, it would be easier with the boom up, but if you do that the chain hoist sound like a good way to do it.

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

From a safety standpoint, I would be hesitant to add oil and try to lift the boom if you are going to be working under it. Even with it locked. If the oil is getting away somewhere. I would think that you could lift the cab and get to what needs fixed, it would be easier with the boom up, but if you do that the chain hoist sound like a good way to do it.
Does anyone know if the cab can be lifted with the boom down?

jerry

Does anyone know if the cab can be lifted with the boom down?
Before doing anything remove the bucket or any attachment of course. I think most boom locks are intended to hold the boom up when there is complete failure or loss of pressure in the hydraulic system.

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

Before doing anything remove the bucket or any attachment of course. I think most boom locks are intended to hold the boom up when there is complete failure or loss of pressure in the hydraulic system.
That's a good point that I was kind of thinking of too. I have the hydraulic disconnect on this machine. Is it possible to unlock the bucket manually?

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

That's a good point that I was kind of thinking of too. I have the hydraulic disconnect on this machine. Is it possible to unlock the bucket manually?
Worked on this a bit tonight. The bucket can be manually unlocked by using a 1/2" breaker bar. The cab can be lifted with the boom down, but the filler pieces on either side of the entry door have to be removed. Now I gotta figure out where the oil leak is. It was pretty dark out by the time I got the cab up, and didn't see any really apparent broken hoses.

Tazza

Staff member
Worked on this a bit tonight. The bucket can be manually unlocked by using a 1/2" breaker bar. The cab can be lifted with the boom down, but the filler pieces on either side of the entry door have to be removed. Now I gotta figure out where the oil leak is. It was pretty dark out by the time I got the cab up, and didn't see any really apparent broken hoses.
Good to hear you are making progress though! At least the cab is up, now the hunt begins....

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

Good to hear you are making progress though! At least the cab is up, now the hunt begins....
Yeah for sure. Anyone without seeing a hose completely broken in two, what is the best way of sourcing the leak? Put some fluid in, start it up, then lift the cab and look for fresh oil?

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah for sure. Anyone without seeing a hose completely broken in two, what is the best way of sourcing the leak? Put some fluid in, start it up, then lift the cab and look for fresh oil?
The best way is to pressure wash it, get as much oil out as you can. Start it then look for the leak. Hopefully just a split hose. Sometimes they can be a pain to find, especially if they are a slow leak.

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

The best way is to pressure wash it, get as much oil out as you can. Start it then look for the leak. Hopefully just a split hose. Sometimes they can be a pain to find, especially if they are a slow leak.
Thanks for the info Tazza. This definately isn't a slow leak. I lost all hydraulic fluid in about 4 minutes. That's why I thought it would be very apparent where the leak was. There is no fluid sprayed around, it just seems to be all laying or have run out the bottom of the machine.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the info Tazza. This definately isn't a slow leak. I lost all hydraulic fluid in about 4 minutes. That's why I thought it would be very apparent where the leak was. There is no fluid sprayed around, it just seems to be all laying or have run out the bottom of the machine.
Just crank the engine (try not to start it just turn it over a bit) and look and listen, if that fails add some oil and fire it up. The leak will likely be quite apparent if it dummped 5 to 10 gallons of oil in 4 mins.
Did you find the service manual download for these loaders or do you have one?
Ken

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

Just crank the engine (try not to start it just turn it over a bit) and look and listen, if that fails add some oil and fire it up. The leak will likely be quite apparent if it dummped 5 to 10 gallons of oil in 4 mins.
Did you find the service manual download for these loaders or do you have one?
Ken
Thanks for the info. That's what I was going to try. No I didn't download that manual yet. Thanks! Can you comment on my question about the pumps? Could I have damaged them? Will starting it damage them?

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

Thanks for the info. That's what I was going to try. No I didn't download that manual yet. Thanks! Can you comment on my question about the pumps? Could I have damaged them? Will starting it damage them?
One more question. What is the right fluid to put in? Straight hydraulic ortrans diff type? I can't seem to find a definite answer.

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

One more question. What is the right fluid to put in? Straight hydraulic ortrans diff type? I can't seem to find a definite answer.
Got the machine back together and running. I found a small hose that the clamp must have loosened and it slipped off. It was about 1" in diameter and goes from the side of the pump to the left drive motor. Is this a low pressure return or something? I put Shell Hyd-trans fluid in. Its J20 spec approved. Anything I need to do to bleed air out of the system?

Tazza

Staff member
Got the machine back together and running. I found a small hose that the clamp must have loosened and it slipped off. It was about 1" in diameter and goes from the side of the pump to the left drive motor. Is this a low pressure return or something? I put Shell Hyd-trans fluid in. Its J20 spec approved. Anything I need to do to bleed air out of the system?
Just drive it around, it will self bleed.
If its really noisy and jumpy, run it for a few minutes them leave it sit over night. Repeat if its the same the next day, drive it, lift and tilt, then let it sit to let the bubbles level out of the oil.

OP
OP
W

wjjeeper

Just drive it around, it will self bleed.
If its really noisy and jumpy, run it for a few minutes them leave it sit over night. Repeat if its the same the next day, drive it, lift and tilt, then let it sit to let the bubbles level out of the oil.
Thanks for all the help guys. Its not noisy or jerky, but I do think I got it a little full. Some hydraulic fluid is bubbling out the tank vent.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for all the help guys. Its not noisy or jerky, but I do think I got it a little full. Some hydraulic fluid is bubbling out the tank vent.
When the oil is a little foamy, it will over fill. You may want to drain a bit out till the oil is right, then top it off.