Left Front Wheel Jammed

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jkirk3279

{sigh} We just got our Bobcat fixed up, running good, and had to put on a new tire. There's a slow leak somewhere we can't find in the hydraulics. And apparently, by the time I noticed... The oil level got too low. And now the left front wheel doesn't turn. A mechanic suggested there might be air in the lines, but I ran it on snow and it won't move. Could the bearing be shot? And how hard is it to press off the hub and replace the bearing?

Mikefromcny

What year and model do you have? Are you sure its just the front wheel and not front and rear on the same side?

OP
OP
J

Jkirk3279

What year and model do you have? Are you sure its just the front wheel and not front and rear on the same side?
It's a Melroe Bobcat, 540. About thirty years old, gasoline powered. It's only the one wheel that's jammed. I was hoping there was just air in the hydraulic lines. I asked the mechanic if the lines needed to be bled like a brake like and he said "using it should work the air out".

Mikefromcny

It's a Melroe Bobcat, 540. About thirty years old, gasoline powered. It's only the one wheel that's jammed. I was hoping there was just air in the hydraulic lines. I asked the mechanic if the lines needed to be bled like a brake like and he said "using it should work the air out".
Wow, thats the very first bobcat I ever drove, I was 8 lol. If its like all the others, and I assume it is, the drive motor turns a carrier with 2 chains, which turn both wheels on that side. If only 1 wheel turns the the other is jammed, possibly the chain has something caught in it, or that particular axle has bearing issues. Pull your chain case cover off and let us know what you find.

Tazza

Staff member
Wow, thats the very first bobcat I ever drove, I was 8 lol. If its like all the others, and I assume it is, the drive motor turns a carrier with 2 chains, which turn both wheels on that side. If only 1 wheel turns the the other is jammed, possibly the chain has something caught in it, or that particular axle has bearing issues. Pull your chain case cover off and let us know what you find.
I agree, sounds like a chain issue. If the hydraulics got low, it would be a problem with both wheels as they run two chains and run together.

OP
OP
J

Jkirk3279

I'm trying to visualize how something could get caught in the chain... The drive motor powers the chain drive; there must be sprockets on each wheel, correct? The wheel turns a bit forward and back, but only a few degrees. I had a mechanic drop by today, and talked it out with him. He suggested that if one of the rollers in the bearing broke, that would be enough to seize up the bearing. Do you have any videos of how to pull a chain case cover off ? The chain on that side was replaced two years ago, but we had someone else do it. I'm running this through in my head. It should be impossible to have the chain running the left rear wheel but NOT the left front wheel UNLESS the sprocket blew a key. Then the sprocket would turn freely, but the wheel wouldn't turn because of the seized bearing. Replacing a Woodruff key, if that's what it uses, is child's play after you get down to it. As the Bobcat is parked outside, this may have to wait until it warms up a bit.

SkidRoe

I'm trying to visualize how something could get caught in the chain... The drive motor powers the chain drive; there must be sprockets on each wheel, correct? The wheel turns a bit forward and back, but only a few degrees. I had a mechanic drop by today, and talked it out with him. He suggested that if one of the rollers in the bearing broke, that would be enough to seize up the bearing. Do you have any videos of how to pull a chain case cover off ? The chain on that side was replaced two years ago, but we had someone else do it. I'm running this through in my head. It should be impossible to have the chain running the left rear wheel but NOT the left front wheel UNLESS the sprocket blew a key. Then the sprocket would turn freely, but the wheel wouldn't turn because of the seized bearing. Replacing a Woodruff key, if that's what it uses, is child's play after you get down to it. As the Bobcat is parked outside, this may have to wait until it warms up a bit.
There are two seperate chains that drive the front and rear wheels per side, so 4 chains total. It sounds to me that one of your chains broke and possibly wound around the sprocket to the point that it is locked up against the chaincase. Why the chain broke in the first place, especially if they have been replaced recently, is also cause for concern. You may have bearing issues.
I think you could benefit from a service manual for your machine. Shoot an e-mail to OldMachinist, citing your SSF logon name. He should be able to help you out.
HTH.