leaky cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

daewoo601

one of the cylinders that tilts my bucket back has a slow leak. It seems to be slow but its enough to rub a decent amount off on your finger after using it and the rod is wet too, not dry like the other. I would say the amount that comes off on your finger is like a bad runny nose when you wipe it with you finger. This is the best way to describe how much comes out. can i continue to use it and will it get worse very soon thanks in advance

mark18mwm

I would continue using it but have the parts to rebuild the cylinder on hand. that way when you get some spare time you could rebuild the cyl, don't be afraid of doing it your self if you are handy with a wrench. It's pretty easy to put new seals in. I wouldn't think that it would completely blow suddenly, so I would use it until your parts arrive and you have the time to repair it. Just my opinion, I had a bucket cyl leak for several months until I could fix it.

mark18mwm

I would continue using it but have the parts to rebuild the cylinder on hand. that way when you get some spare time you could rebuild the cyl, don't be afraid of doing it your self if you are handy with a wrench. It's pretty easy to put new seals in. I wouldn't think that it would completely blow suddenly, so I would use it until your parts arrive and you have the time to repair it. Just my opinion, I had a bucket cyl leak for several months until I could fix it.
Dang it!! I re-read my post, it was supposed to say wouldn't completely blow not would blow suddenly.

mark18mwm

Tazza

Staff member
That isn't a huge leak, but any leak is too much.
As already stated, the repair isn't too hard if you have even a little mechanical know how.

OP
OP
D

daewoo601

That isn't a huge leak, but any leak is too much.
As already stated, the repair isn't too hard if you have even a little mechanical know how.
someone told me to try tightening the gland first and see if that does anything. not sure how to tighten that.

SkidRoe

someone told me to try tightening the gland first and see if that does anything. not sure how to tighten that.
Tightening the gland will not help if your rod seals are leaking. The two are unrelated on these cylinders. You will need to replace the rod seals and wiper.

Tazza

Staff member
Tightening the gland will not help if your rod seals are leaking. The two are unrelated on these cylinders. You will need to replace the rod seals and wiper.
Exactly, if it's leaking around the gland and cylinder, it may be loose, but if it's on the rod, it's the pressure seal inside.
I had an issue with a machine i had years ago with slight amounts of oil on the tilt rod, grand new seals and it would still drip a tiny amount. I changed the seal to a pre-energized one, never leaked again.
If you get a new seal from a seal shop and not the dealer, request a pre-energized one. They are a little harder to fit, but worth it.