Leaking Head Gasket on 262B?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I purchased a 2005 262B last month and have been chasing a small coolant leak from behind the water pump. I replaced the water pump hoping that would fix it. The leak keeps getting worse and it appears that the head gasket is leaking coolant externally. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Tazza

Staff member
Can you see it actually leaking out? or is it just going down?
The only reason i ask, is it could be a head crack too. I had issues with a Kubota engine in my 743 i rebuilt. The head was 'checked' before i installed it, i found that it has a crack in number two and three when i pulled it down last week.
If its visible, you may get away with installing what they call over here a 'pill' it has special fibres that find leaks and plug them up. It will only work on minor leaks though.

xcmark

Can you see it actually leaking out? or is it just going down?
The only reason i ask, is it could be a head crack too. I had issues with a Kubota engine in my 743 i rebuilt. The head was 'checked' before i installed it, i found that it has a crack in number two and three when i pulled it down last week.
If its visible, you may get away with installing what they call over here a 'pill' it has special fibres that find leaks and plug them up. It will only work on minor leaks though.
try getting Bars leak pellets , take 3~4 of them and crush them into a powder and add them to the cooling system slowly with it running. Put the cap on and run it for a while . Its has fixed a few things for me doing this. Dont use the bars leak in the liquid form , I have has as good of results. To crush the pellets start with channel locks and then put it in a coffee mug and crush it with a spoon until its like fine sand.

OP
OP
G
Thanks for the posts. It was leaking heavily. I took it to the dealer, and they said it is a common problem, They replaced the head gasket, and found no other problems, I had the machine back in 33 hours, and it cost $760. I am very pleased with the Holt Cat dealer here in Austin, TX! They quoted me $1,200 to $1,500 and when I picked it up is was $760!