leak at chain case breather

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dizmando

Hi. I'm new to this forum and hope you all may be able to help me out. I purchased a 1992 Mustang 940 about a year ago. The machine was in good condition when I got it with the exception of some things I've repaired or had repaired. I had the radiator recored, flushed the coolant system, and changed all the belts and hoses. The machine had a pretty severe leak at the left rear axel seal. I had this repaired at a Mustang dealer here near Pittsburgh PA. The machine runs great except that it started to push hydraulic fluid out the left chain case breather. It is pushing out a lot of fluid. They replaced the left rear axle and seal, changed the hydraulic fluid and filters. I purchased a pressure relief valve and a breather and installed the breather. I ran the machine for about an hour and it was OK then it started pushing out fluid again after being subjected to some strain. The right chain case has no sign of leaking and the breather is dry. I'd like to see if I can find out what the problem could be before I contact the dealer that did the work. I am mechanically inclined ( I restore cars as a hobby ) but I don't have much experience with skid loaders ( this is my first machine ). I bought the machine at a good price and have almost as much into the major repair as I paid for it. I don't want to be handed a line of c*^p when I talk to the dealer about this. I'm thinking that there may be a blocked return line or something like that. I need the machine for a couple of projects and don't want to run it and do major damage. All help will be greatly appreciated. Stephen

wisconsin_cowman

Is the oil level at the right level may want to check. When I see oil pushing out of the breather like you say it is doing sounds to me like the oil level is to high. Aren't the chain case and hydrulic oil in seperate reservoirs. Maybe there is a crack where the two meet making the oil higher level and pushing the oil out of the breather. Just something to check.