Lapping wear plates?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sterlclan

The wear plates in my hydrostatic pump are toasted,Replacement ones are 225 dollars each is it possible to resurface my existing ones? I was thinking valve lapping compound and a plate of glass...Any ideas?.......Aftermarket source?......Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
I did this with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper.
Start with reasonably course wet and dry as the fine stuff clogs real fast.
I went in a figure 8 pattern as to not push in one set point and it seems to make it pretty even. You will need to do the rotating group too.
On the final passes with fine wet and dry use oil to give you a finer cut.

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

I did this with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper.
Start with reasonably course wet and dry as the fine stuff clogs real fast.
I went in a figure 8 pattern as to not push in one set point and it seems to make it pretty even. You will need to do the rotating group too.
On the final passes with fine wet and dry use oil to give you a finer cut.
do I need to re shim the bearings after, or do the springs in the rotating group make up for this? Im willing to try anything to save a buck...thanks

Tazza

Staff member
do I need to re shim the bearings after, or do the springs in the rotating group make up for this? Im willing to try anything to save a buck...thanks
I believe the spring in the rotating group will take up this VERY small amount you will be removing.
Its worth a shot, as long as the pistons are not worn i say go for it!.

skidsteer.ca

I believe the spring in the rotating group will take up this VERY small amount you will be removing.
Its worth a shot, as long as the pistons are not worn i say go for it!.
I've seen it done on the Volvo hyd motors we use on our slasher saw up here. They are a piston motor to. Just have to make it smooth again.
You will be busy for quite a while if its anything the size of the volvo, call a buddy and ice down a 24 pack ;)
Ken

charger

I've seen it done on the Volvo hyd motors we use on our slasher saw up here. They are a piston motor to. Just have to make it smooth again.
You will be busy for quite a while if its anything the size of the volvo, call a buddy and ice down a 24 pack ;)
Ken
600 to 800 grit sandpaper on a sheet of glass,paper must be lubricated with oil, done lost of hydro`s this way,always worked for me!

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

600 to 800 grit sandpaper on a sheet of glass,paper must be lubricated with oil, done lost of hydro`s this way,always worked for me!
Thanks for the good news Im going to try it cant be any worse than they are now Ill keep you posted ....Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the good news Im going to try it cant be any worse than they are now Ill keep you posted ....Jeff
Thats about what i did, 400, 600 800 and i think for the last few runs i did 1200 i used heaps of oil too. Get quite a few sheets of wet and dry as you will catch a few spots on the sheets that will tear. Just throw down another sheet ad oil and you are set.
If you work with paper that is too fine you will be ther for days!
Good luck with it!
If you can, take piccies for us too.

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

Thats about what i did, 400, 600 800 and i think for the last few runs i did 1200 i used heaps of oil too. Get quite a few sheets of wet and dry as you will catch a few spots on the sheets that will tear. Just throw down another sheet ad oil and you are set.
Good luck with it!
Ive got the whole range from 180 all the way to 2000 I did/do autobody work done plenty of sanding always have plenty of paper on hand you never know when someone will crack their ride gotta be ready Ill take some pics tommrow Im getting a good heavy plate of glass after work and going at it ...Jeff

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

Good luck with it!
Ive got the whole range from 180 all the way to 2000 I did/do auto body work done plenty of sanding always have plenty of paper on hand you never know when someone will crack their ride gotta be ready Ill take some pics tomorrow I'm getting a good heavy plate of glass after work and going at it ...Jeff

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

Ive got the whole range from 180 all the way to 2000 I did/do auto body work done plenty of sanding always have plenty of paper on hand you never know when someone will crack their ride gotta be ready Ill take some pics tomorrow I'm getting a good heavy plate of glass after work and going at it ...Jeff
damn stuttering slow speed connection sorry about the double post

Tazza

Staff member
The first pics are here http://
www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=hystat%20wear%20plate%20repair
They don't actually look that bad. How deep are the scratches? they do show up a lot better after you dull the surface with the first run of sand paper. With that said, i can see the wear at the ports the fluid flows through, where you would expect wear to be.
What machine is this off? the swash plates look a lot like mine out of a 743, i'm sure they all look pretty much the same though.

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

They don't actually look that bad. How deep are the scratches? they do show up a lot better after you dull the surface with the first run of sand paper. With that said, i can see the wear at the ports the fluid flows through, where you would expect wear to be.
What machine is this off? the swash plates look a lot like mine out of a 743, i'm sure they all look pretty much the same though.
It is a 630 it uses the same pump as yours they were bad guessing 10 to 15 thou 4 hrs on the first 2 on the second the first one was the right side and that was the weak one more pics soon

Tazza

Staff member
It is a 630 it uses the same pump as yours they were bad guessing 10 to 15 thou 4 hrs on the first 2 on the second the first one was the right side and that was the weak one more pics soon
I'd also do the face of the rotating croup to ensure it sits flat against the swash plate. At the very least check it with a steel ruler to make sure its flat.
Thats a fair amount of wear! hopefully it will run like new when you throw it back together!

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

I'd also do the face of the rotating croup to ensure it sits flat against the swash plate. At the very least check it with a steel ruler to make sure its flat.
Thats a fair amount of wear! hopefully it will run like new when you throw it back together!
I did those too not nearly as long to do I need to get the end seal the one I had is leaking hopefully napa has one and tomorrow I can put it together.

Tazza

Staff member
I did those too not nearly as long to do I need to get the end seal the one I had is leaking hopefully napa has one and tomorrow I can put it together.
Be careful with the shaft seal! you must make sure it can handle a constant 100 PSI. I know a guy that has worked on these pumps before and replaced the seal for it to fail pretty fast. He now only uses genuine seals. You *may* need to buy the correct one from a hydraulics shop, they should be able to get parts for vickers/eaton pumps. Pop the old one out and tell them what it will be used on and that it will have around 100 PSI on it at all times.
Glad everything is working out so well.

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

Be careful with the shaft seal! you must make sure it can handle a constant 100 PSI. I know a guy that has worked on these pumps before and replaced the seal for it to fail pretty fast. He now only uses genuine seals. You *may* need to buy the correct one from a hydraulics shop, they should be able to get parts for vickers/eaton pumps. Pop the old one out and tell them what it will be used on and that it will have around 100 PSI on it at all times.
Glad everything is working out so well.
I have to wait till tuesday for the seal thats one drawback to living in the woods more pics in the folder

OP
OP
sterlclan

sterlclan

I have to wait till tuesday for the seal thats one drawback to living in the woods more pics in the folder
HOLY COW!!!!! Got it all back together and ran it for about an hour it goes like a new one not a groan in it and it has enough sack to stall the machine before it would just groan under a heavy load cant believe the difference form before thanks for the advise ..............Jeff