Kubota D905 governor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sundown57

I came across a Kubota D905 From a Baldor light tower. So I pulled it out and put it in a Bobcat 720. Runs great and does has reasonable power but when I load it up i do not hear the Governor kick in. Im wondering if because it came from a fixed power unit either there is no governor in it or its set to useless. Any one know if there is a way to turn it up or change springs or what ever to make it work as it should? Thanks

Wayne440

Exactly what are you expecting to hear? When the governor is working correctly, the engine speed will remain practically the same, no load to full load. You might notice it get slightly louder under load, but there should be no dramatic "kick in".

Tazza

Staff member
Exactly what are you expecting to hear? When the governor is working correctly, the engine speed will remain practically the same, no load to full load. You might notice it get slightly louder under load, but there should be no dramatic "kick in".
Wayne is right, under load, the speed really shouldn't change.
A light tower generally has power outlets to run tools etc, so it's not a constant load, so the motor should have a govenor in it.

OP
OP
S

sundown57

Wayne is right, under load, the speed really shouldn't change.
A light tower generally has power outlets to run tools etc, so it's not a constant load, so the motor should have a govenor in it.
Well maybe I just thought i would hear more then I do. That being said, I only just finished the swap 2 days ago, Still in the process of cleaning it up. But being one that cant possibly leave well enough alone. Can you guys tell me what tricks I could do to get as much out of the motor as possible? Like should I pull the shims from under the injector? Ive also read about the governor sping and fuel plate . Cant seem to find much online for the d905 so if I should mess with any thing maybe you can describe what I should do to it. thanks again.

Wayne440

Well maybe I just thought i would hear more then I do. That being said, I only just finished the swap 2 days ago, Still in the process of cleaning it up. But being one that cant possibly leave well enough alone. Can you guys tell me what tricks I could do to get as much out of the motor as possible? Like should I pull the shims from under the injector? Ive also read about the governor sping and fuel plate . Cant seem to find much online for the d905 so if I should mess with any thing maybe you can describe what I should do to it. thanks again.
That depends on what "get as much out of the motor as possible" means. If you want it to last a long time and be relatively trouble free, leave the governor and fuel settings alone. If you don't care if it blows a head gasket, cracks the head or burns a piston in the next 100 hours, start turning screws and changing shims and springs. You may get a little more power and almost certainly more diesel smoke (fuel money darkening the air). IF it was mine, I would probably leave it alone.

Tazza

Staff member
That depends on what "get as much out of the motor as possible" means. If you want it to last a long time and be relatively trouble free, leave the governor and fuel settings alone. If you don't care if it blows a head gasket, cracks the head or burns a piston in the next 100 hours, start turning screws and changing shims and springs. You may get a little more power and almost certainly more diesel smoke (fuel money darkening the air). IF it was mine, I would probably leave it alone.
I haven't heard about changing shims to alter the amount of power you get, unlike a petrol/gas engine, you retard the timing (inject fuel sooner), you get a little more bang for your buck, but comes at a price of potential engine damage due to engine knock.
After a quick search, retarding the timing a little does seem to give more power, and does have the same potential for engine knock as a petrol engine has.
Personally, i'd leave it alone, they were tuned at the factory to run all day long without issues, if you mess with these adjustments, you do run the risk of shortening it's life span. Without throwing say a turbo on it, i'd like to think the gains you'd get with messing with adjustments, would be very minimal.
These engines only produce about 15 horse power, you may get a tiny bit more out of messing with settings, to me, it's not worth it. and it will be a very low number.

OP
OP
S

sundown57

I haven't heard about changing shims to alter the amount of power you get, unlike a petrol/gas engine, you retard the timing (inject fuel sooner), you get a little more bang for your buck, but comes at a price of potential engine damage due to engine knock.
After a quick search, retarding the timing a little does seem to give more power, and does have the same potential for engine knock as a petrol engine has.
Personally, i'd leave it alone, they were tuned at the factory to run all day long without issues, if you mess with these adjustments, you do run the risk of shortening it's life span. Without throwing say a turbo on it, i'd like to think the gains you'd get with messing with adjustments, would be very minimal.
These engines only produce about 15 horse power, you may get a tiny bit more out of messing with settings, to me, it's not worth it. and it will be a very low number.
Yeah I supose I should leave it alone. it does run great. But that's a lot harder to do then it sounds. but thanks every one for all the input.