Just bought an 863. Service Manual? Glow Light?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

J-Long

Hi. I hope you guys are well. I just bought an 863 with the oil cooled Deutz engine. It has about a thousand hours, but hasn't been maintained very well. Aside from that and a little paint damage, it's pretty nice. It has the enclosed cab and steel tracks. Is there someplace to download a service manual and operator manual for this machine? I'd be much obliged for any help in this area. Also, the glow plug light flashes on and off as it runs (And it's a little hard to start, so that makes sense) and the computer screen flashes something when I first key it up. A trouble code, perhaps? It says: CLo 09 Thanks..

Tazza

Staff member
With the glo09, does it count down? if so, that's totally normal, its the glow timer counting down to zero when you should start cranking.

OP
OP
J-Long

J-Long

With the glo09, does it count down? if so, that's totally normal, its the glow timer counting down to zero when you should start cranking.
Thanks for the reply, Tazza.
And no sir, it doesn't change at all. It shows up on the left side, in the hour meter display for just a bout one second when I key it. Then it vanishes and the hours pop up.. and stay up from that point forward.
The guy I bought it from said he had bobcat replace the computer for some reason? And that the glow light would flash occasionally as it ran as a result. But now it flashes all the time during operation, and I noticed this code.. whatever it is, and was wondering if it was related? I'd ask him more about it, but he has passed away since.
I think there must be something wrong there, because I've used this machine in the winter before and it started great. Now it starts hard and that light is flashing all the time.
My next move was to check for voltage at all the plugs, and try to check their resistance with a multi-meter, but I'm completely new to skid loaders (This is the only one I've ever used) and I don't even know where the relay is, the fuses or anything yet. I literally just got it, and I'm still kind of feeling my way around.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply, Tazza.
And no sir, it doesn't change at all. It shows up on the left side, in the hour meter display for just a bout one second when I key it. Then it vanishes and the hours pop up.. and stay up from that point forward.
The guy I bought it from said he had bobcat replace the computer for some reason? And that the glow light would flash occasionally as it ran as a result. But now it flashes all the time during operation, and I noticed this code.. whatever it is, and was wondering if it was related? I'd ask him more about it, but he has passed away since.
I think there must be something wrong there, because I've used this machine in the winter before and it started great. Now it starts hard and that light is flashing all the time.
My next move was to check for voltage at all the plugs, and try to check their resistance with a multi-meter, but I'm completely new to skid loaders (This is the only one I've ever used) and I don't even know where the relay is, the fuses or anything yet. I literally just got it, and I'm still kind of feeling my way around.
Check you are getting voltage to the glow plugs, its possible the glo9 is an error saying its detecting there is a glowing issue. If they aren't working, it will make the starting much harder, especially when cold.
The best way of checking the plugs are ok is to pull them and apply power to them with a cable and battery. They should glow red right to the tip.

OP
OP
J-Long

J-Long

Check you are getting voltage to the glow plugs, its possible the glo9 is an error saying its detecting there is a glowing issue. If they aren't working, it will make the starting much harder, especially when cold.
The best way of checking the plugs are ok is to pull them and apply power to them with a cable and battery. They should glow red right to the tip.
Thanks for your help Tazza.. I got it worked out.
The plugs all resistance checked fine, but no voltage.. It was the glow plug relay. (which I finally located in front of the drivers seat) The connections were dirty.. It works fine now.
It also counts down just like it's supposed to now also... Something it's never done since I've first used it a year ago.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your help Tazza.. I got it worked out.
The plugs all resistance checked fine, but no voltage.. It was the glow plug relay. (which I finally located in front of the drivers seat) The connections were dirty.. It works fine now.
It also counts down just like it's supposed to now also... Something it's never done since I've first used it a year ago.
Excellent! It sure will make it start easier now :)