John Deere 240 skidsteer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Troy

I know this is a Bobcat forum, but the members seem be very knowledgable about skidsteers. I have a JD 240 that the oil level on the dipstick varies from 1/4" below full to a 1/4" over full when checked in the morning. Any ideas? Normal? Something to worry about? Thanks Troy

sterlclan

On some machines even on some trucks that I have used sometimes if you pull out the dipstick and clean it and then check it again it works out that it is full I would check the breather on the valve cover or wherever it is it may be plugged .sometimes the double checking method works best something to do with crankcase pressure or vacum or some such thing. other than the oil level issue any leaks?burning oil?Good luck Jeff

jklingel

On some machines even on some trucks that I have used sometimes if you pull out the dipstick and clean it and then check it again it works out that it is full I would check the breather on the valve cover or wherever it is it may be plugged .sometimes the double checking method works best something to do with crankcase pressure or vacum or some such thing. other than the oil level issue any leaks?burning oil?Good luck Jeff
Maybe the moderator moved you, but you are now in the JD section. I have a 240 also, and it has been a nice little machine the 300 hrs I've used it (bought at 1200). If your oil does not go farther either way, and you are always parked in the same place, I'd not worry much. As above, it can probably be attributed to FM, a little burr on the dipstick cap, or something like that.

skidsteer.ca

Maybe the moderator moved you, but you are now in the JD section. I have a 240 also, and it has been a nice little machine the 300 hrs I've used it (bought at 1200). If your oil does not go farther either way, and you are always parked in the same place, I'd not worry much. As above, it can probably be attributed to FM, a little burr on the dipstick cap, or something like that.
On machines with the dipstick inside a pipe coming from the side of the engine, this faulty first reading is a result or when the machine is moving around a little, air works into the pipe and the seal at the top to the dipstick prevents the oil from flowing back up the pipe to give a correct reading.
My 853 and 553 I always have to pull the stick to vent the pipe and it reads correct the second time around.
Ken

Latest posts