Installing a bobtach or quicktach questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TheMEGAbobcatman

Hi, does anyone know how much a bobtach or quicktach costs to buy and get installed by a Bobcat dealer on bobcat skidsteer? And if you do get a bobtach or quicktach installed, then do you have to trade in your old buckets for bobtach or quicktach buckets? Thanks

bobbie-g

A new bobtach cost me $1000 from Bobcat a year ago. Installing was pretty easy. --- I think for the past 15 or 20 years, all Bobcat skid steers have had the same bobtach dimensions. Why do you think your attachements wouldn't fit? Are they for other skidsteers? :) ---RC

OP
OP
T

TheMEGAbobcatman

A new bobtach cost me $1000 from Bobcat a year ago. Installing was pretty easy. --- I think for the past 15 or 20 years, all Bobcat skid steers have had the same bobtach dimensions. Why do you think your attachements wouldn't fit? Are they for other skidsteers? :) ---RC
Did you install your bobtach yourself? Or did a dealer install the bobtach? And how much does it cost to get a dealer to install a bobtach. And about the attachment thing, I thought that after if you buy a bobcat and install a bobtach wouldn't I have to trade in the old bobcat attachments for bobtach attachments that can fit the pins for the bobtach??? it's akind of hard to explain.

OldMachinist

Did you install your bobtach yourself? Or did a dealer install the bobtach? And how much does it cost to get a dealer to install a bobtach. And about the attachment thing, I thought that after if you buy a bobcat and install a bobtach wouldn't I have to trade in the old bobcat attachments for bobtach attachments that can fit the pins for the bobtach??? it's akind of hard to explain.
If you want to install a manual operated Bobtach then the installation is the same as changing a pinned on bucket or attachment. If all your current buckets and attachments are pin-on then they will not fit a Bobtach but you can buy quick attach plates, cut the pin mountings off and weld the new plates on. A hydraulic operated Bobtach would require running lines and installing a valve to operate it. Like bobbie-g said most Bobcats made in the last 20 years came standard with a Bobtach.

OP
OP
T

TheMEGAbobcatman

If you want to install a manual operated Bobtach then the installation is the same as changing a pinned on bucket or attachment. If all your current buckets and attachments are pin-on then they will not fit a Bobtach but you can buy quick attach plates, cut the pin mountings off and weld the new plates on. A hydraulic operated Bobtach would require running lines and installing a valve to operate it. Like bobbie-g said most Bobcats made in the last 20 years came standard with a Bobtach.
So what you say is "that all Bobcat skidsteers made in the past 20 years has a standard bobtach"? So you don't have to get out of the cab and put the pins on yourself? How do you put on a attachment if you don't have a bobtach or quicktach though? Do you have to get out and put the pins on yourself? Thanks

OldMachinist

So what you say is "that all Bobcat skidsteers made in the past 20 years has a standard bobtach"? So you don't have to get out of the cab and put the pins on yourself? How do you put on a attachment if you don't have a bobtach or quicktach though? Do you have to get out and put the pins on yourself? Thanks
The standard BobTach is manually operated, you have to get out of the seat and use the levers to disconnect a attachment or bucket, then sit back down, move to what ever you want to attach, engage the attachment plate, lift the attachment, then get out of the seat again and use the levers to lock the wedges in.
On a power BobTach you can do it all from the seat and is a option available on later models machines. I sure Bobcat would get big bucks to add this option later because it would require a different BobTach, running of hydraulic lines, installing the valve and electrical.
By looking at the Bobcat historical specs it looks like the first year a power BobTach was available is 2003.
http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs

Goblish

The standard BobTach is manually operated, you have to get out of the seat and use the levers to disconnect a attachment or bucket, then sit back down, move to what ever you want to attach, engage the attachment plate, lift the attachment, then get out of the seat again and use the levers to lock the wedges in.
On a power BobTach you can do it all from the seat and is a option available on later models machines. I sure Bobcat would get big bucks to add this option later because it would require a different BobTach, running of hydraulic lines, installing the valve and electrical.
By looking at the Bobcat historical specs it looks like the first year a power BobTach was available is 2003.
http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs
I have an 2001 773 500k that has power bobtach so it was available since then.

Kermode

I have an 2001 773 500k that has power bobtach so it was available since then.
All the parts are interchangeable with earlier Bobcats. I retrofitted my '96 853 with parts bought at my local dealer. I cobbled together my own hydraulic system though. The factory power Bobtach takes hyd power off the pump before it goes to the main control. I took hyd power off of an aux hyd circuit.