Ice Studs??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jay

My track machine works great in the snow. That is till we get that Feb thaw, or that winter rain, when everything turns to ice. I used to put chains on my rubber tire machine. Was thinking about Klymaxx track lug studs found at mfgsupply.com. Sliding down the 1000 ft drive way, in a slow spin is no fun.

753g

Sounds like a great way to possibly void the warranty on the tracks and tear up the drive. Don't get me wrong I won't ride a snowmobile without studs, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea for a compact track loader especially on pavement. Just drop your bucket edge down and let go of the sticks if you go for a `spin' the shear weight of the machine will stop it cold in it's tracks. (No pun intended)

OP
OP
J

Jay

Sounds like a great way to possibly void the warranty on the tracks and tear up the drive. Don't get me wrong I won't ride a snowmobile without studs, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea for a compact track loader especially on pavement. Just drop your bucket edge down and let go of the sticks if you go for a `spin' the shear weight of the machine will stop it cold in it's tracks. (No pun intended)
Some times I feel like a dog chasing its tail. I started this process with an old Toyota Landcruiser FJ6, the body finally rusted right off, went to a John Deere 4610, four wheel drive tractor with a Erskine, snow blower, but had to put a set of skidder chains on for when the driveway iced up. That worked great, then went to a John Deere 260 Skidsteer with a set of McLaren Protrac Magnums, WOW things worked even better. Then Nortrac closed its JD dealership and I had some trouble with service at the next JD dealership. I was upset enough to sell everything that said JD and made the switch to CAT. I'm on my second 277 MTL. I love the machine, it goes places and does things I could have never done with a wheeled machine. I tried dropping the bucket, but my snow bucket doesn't have teeth, just a cutting bar.so that doesnt work. This past weekend we got about 14 inches of snow and the snowblower was just the ticket. I saw those screw in studs, checked the depth of the tread on the tracks, thought they might work, and wondered if any body else had any ideas. The machine never leaves the property so pavement is not an issue. I guess its the same old same old, no one machine does everything, thats why they make so many. $200. for studs sounded better than another machine.

753g

Some times I feel like a dog chasing its tail. I started this process with an old Toyota Landcruiser FJ6, the body finally rusted right off, went to a John Deere 4610, four wheel drive tractor with a Erskine, snow blower, but had to put a set of skidder chains on for when the driveway iced up. That worked great, then went to a John Deere 260 Skidsteer with a set of McLaren Protrac Magnums, WOW things worked even better. Then Nortrac closed its JD dealership and I had some trouble with service at the next JD dealership. I was upset enough to sell everything that said JD and made the switch to CAT. I'm on my second 277 MTL. I love the machine, it goes places and does things I could have never done with a wheeled machine. I tried dropping the bucket, but my snow bucket doesn't have teeth, just a cutting bar.so that doesnt work. This past weekend we got about 14 inches of snow and the snowblower was just the ticket. I saw those screw in studs, checked the depth of the tread on the tracks, thought they might work, and wondered if any body else had any ideas. The machine never leaves the property so pavement is not an issue. I guess its the same old same old, no one machine does everything, thats why they make so many. $200. for studs sounded better than another machine.
If you're hell bent on puting sharp things in the track I'd seriously consider snowmobile studs with backer plates and nuts, or push throughs with nuts, the screw in lugs will rip right out of a CTL.