Hydro question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jyuma

I've got a brown cloudy drip coming from one of the PTO fittings. Obviously the fitting is leaking but that's not the question. I removed the PTO hydro hose and the hydro that came out of the line looked clear but the drip from the tip of the male PTO connector is definitely brown and cloudy. Maybe rain water leaked into the tip through the same leak that is now letting it out or maybe the hydro fluid is contaminated.
I don't think I should take a chance so I'll be replacing the fluid and the filter. My question is... what drains the lines and cylinders? I have a main drain at the bottom of the hydro reservoir but I don't see how that would drain the cylinders, lines and pumps. What is the proper procedure for a complete hydro drain on a Thomas T133 ? And keep in mind the beast holds 8 gallons of hydro so multiple fills could get a bit pricey.
emotion-10.gif

Thanks

skidsteer.ca

There is no practical way to get it all. Most pump it out the aux couplers, change the filter and call it a day.
If you want you can lift the boom, kill the engine and let gavitty lower it to get most od the oil from the cylinder.
Do you think the brown crud you seen could be rust off the threads of the fitting you undid on the hose? You said the oil looked clear inside.

Tazza

Staff member
There is no practical way to get it all. Most pump it out the aux couplers, change the filter and call it a day.
If you want you can lift the boom, kill the engine and let gavitty lower it to get most od the oil from the cylinder.
Do you think the brown crud you seen could be rust off the threads of the fitting you undid on the hose? You said the oil looked clear inside.
I'm with Ken on that, the oil could be that colour from rust inside the fitting and moistire. If you check the oil tank oil colour, if its right, its not a huge deal. If you have never changed the oil, its not a bad idea to do so. Drain the tank or pump it out of the aux couplers with the machine at idle, then shut down. Replace the filter and oil.
If the oil is contaminated, you can add a few litres of oil, move tha mahine around, lift tilt, drive, shut down and drain it again. Do that till you are happy with the colour. I have done this before, but the oil started out a light milky colour due to water contamination.