Hydraulic leak into chain case on 463 ??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wcmill

Hello gentleman 1st post and am happy to be aboard.
I have a 463 that I use on my acreage for light duty jobs. Mostly snow clearing, and probably don't put more then 30 hours a year on it. I've owned it for approx 3 years.
During the last 25 hours or so I have developed a hydraulic leak. Probably have to add about 1/3 qt or so every 3 hours. Problem is I just can't find it!
there doesn't seem to be any fluid coming from anywhere. Yesterday I saw that one of the axle seals was leaking fluid. I decided to check the chain case fluid level and when I removed the plug from the front, oil came rushing out. So evidently my chain case is over filled…..so here's the question:
Can hydraulic fluid somehow leak or seep into the chain case even though it's a separate system?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am pretty mechanically inclined, but don't know too much about the Bobcat skid steers.

Again..awesome site! thanks in advance.

Wade

brdgbldr

I have a 463 that I use on my acreage for light duty jobs. Mostly snow clearing, and probably don't put more then 30 hours a year on it. I've owned it for approx 3 years.
During the last 25 hours or so I have developed a hydraulic leak. Probably have to add about 1/3 qt or so every 3 hours. Problem is I just can't find it!
there doesn't seem to be any fluid coming from anywhere. Yesterday I saw that one of the axle seals was leaking fluid. I decided to check the chain case fluid level and when I removed the plug from the front, oil came rushing out. So evidently my chain case is over filled…..so here's the question:
Can hydraulic fluid somehow leak or seep into the chain case even though it's a separate system?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am pretty mechanically inclined, but don't know too much about the Bobcat skid steers.

Wade
Not a stupid question.

Yes, hydraulic oil can leak into the chain case from the drive motors. The seals on the drive motors wear out and the oil goes directly into the chain case.

OP
OP
W

wcmill

Not a stupid question.

Yes, hydraulic oil can leak into the chain case from the drive motors. The seals on the drive motors wear out and the oil goes directly into the chain case.
Thanks for the fast reply. So how difficult or labour intensive is it to change out these seals?
I have the service manual but that's not in there.

brdgbldr

Thanks for the fast reply. So how difficult or labour intensive is it to change out these seals?
I have the service manual but that's not in there.
I'm not familiar with your specific machine but you will need to remove the motor. Other then that, these seals are normally pretty easy to replace.

You can look at the parts catalog to get a better idea of the seals that will need to be replaced on your specific machine:

OP
OP
W

wcmill

I'm not familiar with your specific machine but you will need to remove the motor. Other then that, these seals are normally pretty easy to replace.

You can look at the parts catalog to get a better idea of the seals that will need to be replaced on your specific machine:
Ok will do…..thanks again.
Is there anyway to tell what side is leaking? Or is it just common practice to replace both at the same time?

brdgbldr

Ok will do…..thanks again.
Is there anyway to tell what side is leaking? Or is it just common practice to replace both at the same time?
There really isn't any way to tell which side is leaking. They both could be leaking.

I think it would be wise to replace both at the same time. If one has worn out, the other is probably not far behind.

jeep1

Wade
My 632 was doing the same. Turned out the seal on one of the drive motors had blown out, allowing the oil into the chain case. After replacing the seal twice I took the motor to a hydraulic shop and was told it was to wore out to rebuild. After 3 months of looking for another motor, found a couple rebuilt motors at Stoens Hydrostatic Service in Glenwood MN. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
W

wcmill

My 632 was doing the same. Turned out the seal on one of the drive motors had blown out, allowing the oil into the chain case. After replacing the seal twice I took the motor to a hydraulic shop and was told it was to wore out to rebuild. After 3 months of looking for another motor, found a couple rebuilt motors at Stoens Hydrostatic Service in Glenwood MN. Hope this helps.
Thanks again for all the replies .
Definitely helps. I won't be able to get into it for awhile.
When I do I will post me findings and results.
Cheers