Hydraulic Flat face couplers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

Thanks Land-Tech for the words , don't forget the The Tool as he planted the seed , today I went the next step on the couplers , picked up a couple of Takeuchi couplers and installed them on a Bobcat , the numbers worked out like this , for one each at Bobcat a male and a female with tax = total $258.82 , Takeuchi same =$131.13 , savings $127.69 , a little short of buy one and get one free ---------the block/manifold assembly with all 3 couplers and guts at Bobcat is $300 and Takeuchi is $191.00 , you can get the whole assembly $70 cheaper than than just the two couplers , mind boggling , stock up cause I don't think it will stay long --------------need try to find where Takeuchi and Bobcat are buying them and how to get them , Katrina clean up ate up truck loads of those couplers , I heard it many times that those couplers are the number one selling part for a couple of years around here
That's good info, thanks fish.
Hope you don't stock up then sit on it all for too long........=).

Fishfiles

thanks for the link , calling them this a.m. , liked the cross reference wizard they have on their site : http://www.fasterinc.com/crossref.html
i talked with faster yesterday and they are the manufacturer of the couplers and block , they don't sell to end users , they directed me to a local distributor who has never sold one yet , the part numbers are not even in their system , waiting on them to call back with prices and availabillity ---------if anyone is interested the faster part numbers are female = kit4FFI12F and the male is kit4FFI12M

ajsdwilson

i talked with faster yesterday and they are the manufacturer of the couplers and block , they don't sell to end users , they directed me to a local distributor who has never sold one yet , the part numbers are not even in their system , waiting on them to call back with prices and availabillity ---------if anyone is interested the faster part numbers are female = kit4FFI12F and the male is kit4FFI12M
Hey...I work for a manufacturer of hydraulic quick disconnect couplings...Dixon Quick Coupling. The Flatface couplings can be a little finicky at times because of the really tight tolerances. If you have leaks when the parts are disconnected, the part that is leaking is the problem...if you have leaks when they are connected, it is the nipple half that is the problem (97% of the time). The main valve seal in the nipple seals the nipple valve when the couplings are disconnected but this main valve seal is responsible for sealing the set when they are connected. If the coupling leaks when connected, then it is the nipple causing the problem. People tend to send the coupler back and we seldom find any problems with it, then we send the customer a nipple. It is really important to wipe the faces clean before making a connection and don't hit the valves with a screw driver to release pressure, the main seal tends to get damaged by the screw driver and/or the pressure trying to bust past the seal.

Fishfiles

Hey...I work for a manufacturer of hydraulic quick disconnect couplings...Dixon Quick Coupling. The Flatface couplings can be a little finicky at times because of the really tight tolerances. If you have leaks when the parts are disconnected, the part that is leaking is the problem...if you have leaks when they are connected, it is the nipple half that is the problem (97% of the time). The main valve seal in the nipple seals the nipple valve when the couplings are disconnected but this main valve seal is responsible for sealing the set when they are connected. If the coupling leaks when connected, then it is the nipple causing the problem. People tend to send the coupler back and we seldom find any problems with it, then we send the customer a nipple. It is really important to wipe the faces clean before making a connection and don't hit the valves with a screw driver to release pressure, the main seal tends to get damaged by the screw driver and/or the pressure trying to bust past the seal.
Nice info , so let me see if I am following you as you used some terms such as nipple , which I am presuming is the term you use for the male coupler and the term coupler is used for the female ------------- that confirming what I already knew that with the old style coupler sets that leaked it was the female (coupler) usually at fault , with the new style flat face (dripless) it's the male (nipple) as t is the one that holds the seal

coreya3212

Nice info , so let me see if I am following you as you used some terms such as nipple , which I am presuming is the term you use for the male coupler and the term coupler is used for the female ------------- that confirming what I already knew that with the old style coupler sets that leaked it was the female (coupler) usually at fault , with the new style flat face (dripless) it's the male (nipple) as t is the one that holds the seal
New guy about to give everyone a chuckle I am sure, but here goes. On my 825, the aux hyd couplers were both what I would call the male end. My neighbour thought that was odd to have 2 of the same end on the machine. His machine and attachments, that I may borrow, have one of each, male and female on each side. Maybe more simple to say attachment has 1 male and one female as well as the machine. I had one of the connectors dripping hyd oil, more or less all the time and in the interest of borrowing attachments from the neighbour figured i would replace the leaky one with a female to match his gear. My first question is, what is normal, both male, both female or one of each on the skid steer? Or does it matter. Second is, I went to Princess Auto, here in Canada, is a sort of place for cheap tools, electric motors, hyd stuff. I bought a female coupler, Pioneer is the brand, for 21 dollars canadian. The male one I replaced with the female would have sold for 6 dollars. My question is, are these complete junk and I wasted 21 bucks....it seems that the dollar amounts being thrown around suggest that I am not talking about the same parts, or they are really cheap here, or I am a dummy for wasting my money on lo budget crap that is not going to work??

thetool

New guy about to give everyone a chuckle I am sure, but here goes. On my 825, the aux hyd couplers were both what I would call the male end. My neighbour thought that was odd to have 2 of the same end on the machine. His machine and attachments, that I may borrow, have one of each, male and female on each side. Maybe more simple to say attachment has 1 male and one female as well as the machine. I had one of the connectors dripping hyd oil, more or less all the time and in the interest of borrowing attachments from the neighbour figured i would replace the leaky one with a female to match his gear. My first question is, what is normal, both male, both female or one of each on the skid steer? Or does it matter. Second is, I went to Princess Auto, here in Canada, is a sort of place for cheap tools, electric motors, hyd stuff. I bought a female coupler, Pioneer is the brand, for 21 dollars canadian. The male one I replaced with the female would have sold for 6 dollars. My question is, are these complete junk and I wasted 21 bucks....it seems that the dollar amounts being thrown around suggest that I am not talking about the same parts, or they are really cheap here, or I am a dummy for wasting my money on lo budget crap that is not going to work??
Stadard on the 825 were the poppet couplers, and they are a bit less pricey than the flat-face. Whether or not you bought junk depends on if they work out okay-I think it is worth a shot?
I have seen machines with two of each coupler instead of one of each-it is normal to have a female on bottom and male on top(another freudian slip for Tazza)---I ask guys why they put two male couplers on their machine-the answer was that they had two female couplers on each of their their attachments and it gave them a good excuse not to loan out the attachment.....=).
Sorta like putting a shell on your pickup......=).

coreya3212

Stadard on the 825 were the poppet couplers, and they are a bit less pricey than the flat-face. Whether or not you bought junk depends on if they work out okay-I think it is worth a shot?
I have seen machines with two of each coupler instead of one of each-it is normal to have a female on bottom and male on top(another freudian slip for Tazza)---I ask guys why they put two male couplers on their machine-the answer was that they had two female couplers on each of their their attachments and it gave them a good excuse not to loan out the attachment.....=).
Sorta like putting a shell on your pickup......=).
I dont think mine were standard anyway. The package of the new male said flat faced coupler...I dont really care at the end of the day. What you are saying is give it a go so I feel better at least. I put the female on, and have run the machine without a leak so far sountil I actually try an attachment, I figure I am ahead of the game for 20 bucks. Thanks Shane.

Fishfiles

I dont think mine were standard anyway. The package of the new male said flat faced coupler...I dont really care at the end of the day. What you are saying is give it a go so I feel better at least. I put the female on, and have run the machine without a leak so far sountil I actually try an attachment, I figure I am ahead of the game for 20 bucks. Thanks Shane.
I finally got the price today from Fasters Dealer here in New Orleans which is Motion Industries , I have always disliked Motion as they are a rip off with prices , they take forever to find what you want even when you give them the part number and tell them they are a dealer of the product and thy never have anything instock , their price of a flat faced pressure relieving female quick coupler was $165 , plus tax , plus frieght , no deal there

thetool

I finally got the price today from Fasters Dealer here in New Orleans which is Motion Industries , I have always disliked Motion as they are a rip off with prices , they take forever to find what you want even when you give them the part number and tell them they are a dealer of the product and thy never have anything instock , their price of a flat faced pressure relieving female quick coupler was $165 , plus tax , plus frieght , no deal there
So then it's a better deal through Takeuchi, Fishsfiles?

Fishfiles

So then it's a better deal through Takeuchi, Fishsfiles?
yes , Takeuchi's couplers works at half the price @ $75 for the female ad $46 for the male , Tool why don't you check a Faster dealer near you for Faster # kit FFI 12 F and Faster # kitFFI12M

ajsdwilson

Sorry...a male is known as male, plug, nipple, or adapter (Depending on the industry you are in) and a female is known as female, receiver, or coupler. All flatface, since their inception, use the male valve seal as the main sealing method for the entire coupling when they are connected. There are occasions where the coupler can leak in the connected state, but this isn't a very common problem. Since the male valve seal serves two purposes, to seal the nipple valve when disconnected and the entire coupling when connected, there is a lot relying on this seal. The conditions of certain death for a flushface coupling are dirt/grit and side-load. You want to be sure that these are relatively clean when you make a connection and you want to be sure that the coupling is not side-loaded during operation...either of these conditions will kill the seals. Seal technology has really improved over the past couple of years and leaking is becoming less of an issue. One other killer...screwdrivers! When pressure is trapped in the coupling, there is a tendency to hit the valve to release the pressure - this damages the seals if the screwdriver makes contact with the seal or you end-up with a condition called nibbling as the pressure in the coupling blows by the seal when releasing the pressure, bits of the seal are removed by the pressurized fluid coming past the seal.

Latest posts