Hydraulic Flat face couplers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stephend

I have a Bobcat 751F and I am using a tree shear on it. I replaced the original bobcat coupler with a flat face after market flat face coupler 3 years ago. The coupler now leaks at the interface of the male and female connectors. Questions: 1. Do I need to replace both the male and female connectors. If not which is most likely needing to be replaced the male or female connector? 2. Do leaks like that affect the pressure going to the tree shear?

thetool

Ah the old "which one is it?" dilemma-never could figure out how to figure that out, short of swapping parts until it worked.....=). I would say females fail more often than males, but it's like 60/40 in my experience, so in your case it could be either.
1. Probably not, it's rare that they both fail at the same time but anything's possible.
2. Any leak will cause you to loose pressure. As long as it's not spraying, you're just dripping around and you won't notice any degradation in attachment performance until you get low on fluid due to the leak at the couplers.
I would say to get one of each and swap till you find the offending coupler, then you have a spare. But I know that most times the back end of the coupler is different on either the machine or attachment, so your spare will work only on either the machine or the attachment.
Another way to look at it is they are three years old, and the first one has failed, the busy season is coming up and you don't want that downtime, so replace both pair now.
Good Luck

Fishfiles

I am betting 90-10 that it's the male , two reasons, first is the seal is inside the male coupler , you can buy the seal and it is replacable , I don't change them any more , it's expensive and it's a little hard to install with out messing it up , the seal looks just like a spool seal but blue and harder material that doesn't spring back to well when bent , the reason i don't change them any more is the second reason , male gets dents from the balls of the female and gives the couler slack , which sometimes it will leak and sometimes it will choke off a little flow from not being all th way in

Tazza

Staff member
I am betting 90-10 that it's the male , two reasons, first is the seal is inside the male coupler , you can buy the seal and it is replacable , I don't change them any more , it's expensive and it's a little hard to install with out messing it up , the seal looks just like a spool seal but blue and harder material that doesn't spring back to well when bent , the reason i don't change them any more is the second reason , male gets dents from the balls of the female and gives the couler slack , which sometimes it will leak and sometimes it will choke off a little flow from not being all th way in
"I would say females fail more often than males"
Brave words Shane, brave words! :)
I had to say it, i know everyone else was thinking it though hehe all i know is i'd be killed if i said that, and someone heard it *looks around nervously*
But i do agree that the female fittings do leak more often than the male ones do.

Fishfiles

"I would say females fail more often than males"
Brave words Shane, brave words! :)
I had to say it, i know everyone else was thinking it though hehe all i know is i'd be killed if i said that, and someone heard it *looks around nervously*
But i do agree that the female fittings do leak more often than the male ones do.
I really wouldn't think any of your machines used the new style flat face couplers , Tazza , maybe your 763 if it's a very late serial number , flat face been around may 10 or more years and I am sticking wth 90 percent male causes the leak on flat face couplers

Tazza

Staff member
I really wouldn't think any of your machines used the new style flat face couplers , Tazza , maybe your 763 if it's a very late serial number , flat face been around may 10 or more years and I am sticking wth 90 percent male causes the leak on flat face couplers
I may have made have mis-understood. I thought the leaking was talking about when they were coupled together, i never thought about them being disconnected.... I'm so used to having my 4 in 1 attached all the time and never thought about the fact 99% of the users in the USA use dirt buckets.
*face palm* sorry guys! ignore my post!

Fishfiles

I may have made have mis-understood. I thought the leaking was talking about when they were coupled together, i never thought about them being disconnected.... I'm so used to having my 4 in 1 attached all the time and never thought about the fact 99% of the users in the USA use dirt buckets.
*face palm* sorry guys! ignore my post!
I still don't think you are getting it , it's not about leaking while being disconnected , they leak when connected while in use , have you'll seen the new style quick couplers down under yet , machines that are say about 15 years old and newer and all attachments , over here , have what are called dripless flat face couplers , the idea is when you connect and disconnect the couplers that no oil leaks out into the enviroment , they are more xpensive to buy and I really don't like them , to make matters worst Bobcat came out with a manifold which the couplers on the machine mount to and the couplers which go into the manifold are dealer only and a male and a female right now is $200 and they get broken easy if the attachment hose is hung up on anything and pulled , the male and female that goes to the attachment are cheaper and available other than OEM -------------my dealer parts guy told me that quick couplers are the biggest selling part for them for the last 3 years , wish they would have left the old style on there --------I wouldn't say 99% of user use a dirt bucket , but would say that less than 1/2 of 1 percent use 4 in 1 buckets , they are rare around here , grapple buckets are the most popular bucket attachment

perry

I still don't think you are getting it , it's not about leaking while being disconnected , they leak when connected while in use , have you'll seen the new style quick couplers down under yet , machines that are say about 15 years old and newer and all attachments , over here , have what are called dripless flat face couplers , the idea is when you connect and disconnect the couplers that no oil leaks out into the enviroment , they are more xpensive to buy and I really don't like them , to make matters worst Bobcat came out with a manifold which the couplers on the machine mount to and the couplers which go into the manifold are dealer only and a male and a female right now is $200 and they get broken easy if the attachment hose is hung up on anything and pulled , the male and female that goes to the attachment are cheaper and available other than OEM -------------my dealer parts guy told me that quick couplers are the biggest selling part for them for the last 3 years , wish they would have left the old style on there --------I wouldn't say 99% of user use a dirt bucket , but would say that less than 1/2 of 1 percent use 4 in 1 buckets , they are rare around here , grapple buckets are the most popular bucket attachment
It didn't take me long to figure out, it's best to connect the attachment hoses together when not in use. Before that, I was thinking about carrying an air tank to blow out any debris. I don't use the rubber dust covers anymore, except on the aux, they offer little protection....imo.

thetool

It didn't take me long to figure out, it's best to connect the attachment hoses together when not in use. Before that, I was thinking about carrying an air tank to blow out any debris. I don't use the rubber dust covers anymore, except on the aux, they offer little protection....imo.
Hey Fishfiles-
A while back, before Bobcat started offering the individual couplers on the block, as you know, you had to buy the entire block if one of the couplers failed.
Gehl had a machine with the exact same block, and they weren't so proud of theirs, so folks would go down to the Gehl dealer and buy it there and save a few bucks.
I wonder if the individual couplers are now available from Gehl now also. I have as yet to come across a coupler job since on my own so I haven't found out.
Since two manufacturers use that exact same block, it has to be made by somebody.
I like that system. Seems like there was an awful lot of moaning about bleeding pressure to connect/disconnect before they came out with that block.
All the incidents of pulling, hanging up, etc also caused damage to the old school system. Replacing couplers, straightening or fabbing up and welding on a new mount, even replacing tublines was and still is common with the old style system.

Land-Tech

Hey Fishfiles-
A while back, before Bobcat started offering the individual couplers on the block, as you know, you had to buy the entire block if one of the couplers failed.
Gehl had a machine with the exact same block, and they weren't so proud of theirs, so folks would go down to the Gehl dealer and buy it there and save a few bucks.
I wonder if the individual couplers are now available from Gehl now also. I have as yet to come across a coupler job since on my own so I haven't found out.
Since two manufacturers use that exact same block, it has to be made by somebody.
I like that system. Seems like there was an awful lot of moaning about bleeding pressure to connect/disconnect before they came out with that block.
All the incidents of pulling, hanging up, etc also caused damage to the old school system. Replacing couplers, straightening or fabbing up and welding on a new mount, even replacing tublines was and still is common with the old style system.
I have to bleed mine almost every time. I have a female thats leaking. To replace I go to a hydralic shop. I think thet cost $65 to $75 a fitting.
No real dealer up here. Scott

Fishfiles

I have to bleed mine almost every time. I have a female thats leaking. To replace I go to a hydralic shop. I think thet cost $65 to $75 a fitting.
No real dealer up here. Scott
Tool , I am going to have to look into the Geil connection , as big as Greater New Orleans is I have never seen or know of a Gel dealer , Geil wheeled or tracked loaders are rare but do see a few all terrain loader/lifts , a Geil and a Mustang track loader was a Takeuchi with a paint job if am remembering right , I never paid much attention to the Takeuchi's coupler block but know that you say it , I am going to take another look , I have set a few up without the manifold for demo crews that were getting killed with broken couplers on the machine , made a bracket and used bulkhead fittings to mount the flat face coupler with the #12 straight pipe oring thread ( the one used on attachments ) , which is what I think Land Tech is referring to that he has , the models in between the flat face manifold and the old style were flat face without the manifold like I fab up , but it won't work out swopping it to a manifold block as the tubes don't line up ---- don't know if posted this story or not , I'm in deep depression wth the current recession , but I just went thru this one , grapple fork won't stay up on it's own , seemed like a piston seal , what it was is that the guy had changed a quick couple on the manifold and lost the guts behind one of the couplers n the block , probally without know it , as it will stay in place sometimes and sometimes fall out , without the spring and seat in there are misaligned it will flow oil over to the drain port and cause that problem and a few others -----I never really had a lot of trouble connecting aux hoses to the machine if I took the attachment off , that's a secret which is to make sure you got the pressure off before removing as pressure will be stored in the attachment making it hard to reconnect and it is easier to get a wrench and bleed the hose at that point , the new manifold will bleed if off it you keep pushing in on the coupler like you were going to connect it and give it a bunch of short pops in and you will hear the hydraulics clunk , as far as the machine the auto pressure release works , and if it doesn't release then , you can by turning the key on and energizing the aux curcuit use the thumb switch and release the pressure ----

thetool

Tool , I am going to have to look into the Geil connection , as big as Greater New Orleans is I have never seen or know of a Gel dealer , Geil wheeled or tracked loaders are rare but do see a few all terrain loader/lifts , a Geil and a Mustang track loader was a Takeuchi with a paint job if am remembering right , I never paid much attention to the Takeuchi's coupler block but know that you say it , I am going to take another look , I have set a few up without the manifold for demo crews that were getting killed with broken couplers on the machine , made a bracket and used bulkhead fittings to mount the flat face coupler with the #12 straight pipe oring thread ( the one used on attachments ) , which is what I think Land Tech is referring to that he has , the models in between the flat face manifold and the old style were flat face without the manifold like I fab up , but it won't work out swopping it to a manifold block as the tubes don't line up ---- don't know if posted this story or not , I'm in deep depression wth the current recession , but I just went thru this one , grapple fork won't stay up on it's own , seemed like a piston seal , what it was is that the guy had changed a quick couple on the manifold and lost the guts behind one of the couplers n the block , probally without know it , as it will stay in place sometimes and sometimes fall out , without the spring and seat in there are misaligned it will flow oil over to the drain port and cause that problem and a few others -----I never really had a lot of trouble connecting aux hoses to the machine if I took the attachment off , that's a secret which is to make sure you got the pressure off before removing as pressure will be stored in the attachment making it hard to reconnect and it is easier to get a wrench and bleed the hose at that point , the new manifold will bleed if off it you keep pushing in on the coupler like you were going to connect it and give it a bunch of short pops in and you will hear the hydraulics clunk , as far as the machine the auto pressure release works , and if it doesn't release then , you can by turning the key on and energizing the aux curcuit use the thumb switch and release the pressure ----
Fishfiles-
I know from other posts that you are a "searcher" and can find stuff the less talented cannot...=). I also know you like to keep some of it close, like your Berco source, and I understand why.
Knowing your skills, I have no doubt that you will probably come across a source for the manifold couplers, if they are available.
Remember, it was I who told about the Gehl aux blocks and perhaps pointed your bloodhound-like searching skills in that direction......=).
My wish list:
1. Your Berco source that I cannot find.
2. The "rayco" source for the fuel filter adapter that I cannot find.
3. Open and active email, even telephonic collaboration to share info when either of us hits a dead-end in our dealings ......=).

Fishfiles

Fishfiles-
I know from other posts that you are a "searcher" and can find stuff the less talented cannot...=). I also know you like to keep some of it close, like your Berco source, and I understand why.
Knowing your skills, I have no doubt that you will probably come across a source for the manifold couplers, if they are available.
Remember, it was I who told about the Gehl aux blocks and perhaps pointed your bloodhound-like searching skills in that direction......=).
My wish list:
1. Your Berco source that I cannot find.
2. The "rayco" source for the fuel filter adapter that I cannot find.
3. Open and active email, even telephonic collaboration to share info when either of us hits a dead-end in our dealings ......=).
Dang Tool , that was some first class brown nosing there , " man once told me the difference between brown nosing and a$$ kissing was a matter of depth perception " , didn't realize I was hoggin' info , I guess finding a honey hole on parts is the same as fishin' , " teach a man to fish and he won't go hungry , show him all your honey holes and you might " , ------Berco = Industrial Tracks in Jefferson , La 504-733-2262 Roger is most knowledgable , Rayco filter adaptor = Reliable Industries in Jefferson , La. 504-733-4120 Dan is the man and they ship Internationally , [email protected] --------

thetool

Dang Tool , that was some first class brown nosing there , " man once told me the difference between brown nosing and a$$ kissing was a matter of depth perception " , didn't realize I was hoggin' info , I guess finding a honey hole on parts is the same as fishin' , " teach a man to fish and he won't go hungry , show him all your honey holes and you might " , ------Berco = Industrial Tracks in Jefferson , La 504-733-2262 Roger is most knowledgable , Rayco filter adaptor = Reliable Industries in Jefferson , La. 504-733-4120 Dan is the man and they ship Internationally , [email protected] --------
LOL was it that obvious?
Thanks dude!!!!!!
I thought you'd email it to me seein' as how I can't hurt you all the way over in de bayou, but probably couldn't hurt you even if I was next door(more brown-nosing?).
I had your email once but I had to slick my disc cuz some dee eye see kay-neck slipped me a mickey......=).
Here's a saying-"One good turn deserves another"
I do need to get my eyes checked.

Fishfiles

LOL was it that obvious?
Thanks dude!!!!!!
I thought you'd email it to me seein' as how I can't hurt you all the way over in de bayou, but probably couldn't hurt you even if I was next door(more brown-nosing?).
I had your email once but I had to slick my disc cuz some dee eye see kay-neck slipped me a mickey......=).
Here's a saying-"One good turn deserves another"
I do need to get my eyes checked.
Update on manifold quick couplers , I looked in to Takuchi's flat face pressure release couplers and the manifold on the machine which they screw into and they look identical , the Takeuchi part number of the female is 08888FASTERF and sells locally for $75.00 which Bobcat's coupler is $150.10 , the number for the male is 08888FASTERM and sells for $46.00 and Bobcat's male is $88.61 , half price on one and dang near on the other , the next step is to try one out and see if it works......=). ----------- " One thing leads to another = INXS " ------- "the best tool in your arsonal should be the one in your head "

Land-Tech

Update on manifold quick couplers , I looked in to Takuchi's flat face pressure release couplers and the manifold on the machine which they screw into and they look identical , the Takeuchi part number of the female is 08888FASTERF and sells locally for $75.00 which Bobcat's coupler is $150.10 , the number for the male is 08888FASTERM and sells for $46.00 and Bobcat's male is $88.61 , half price on one and dang near on the other , the next step is to try one out and see if it works......=). ----------- " One thing leads to another = INXS " ------- "the best tool in your arsonal should be the one in your head "
When you guys talk of a block i'm confused, what's new? My Gehl and Mustang, Both aux fittings are attached to the boom with bulkhead fittings that the couplers thread into.Are you refering to a machined block that takes the place of the bulkhead fittings? thanks Scott

thetool

When you guys talk of a block i'm confused, what's new? My Gehl and Mustang, Both aux fittings are attached to the boom with bulkhead fittings that the couplers thread into.Are you refering to a machined block that takes the place of the bulkhead fittings? thanks Scott
Yeah Land-Tech on the newer Bobcats and some others they have an aux coupler manifold on the end of the boom-
The couplers on these manifolds fit the normal couplers but the manifold couplers are special to the assembly, and it's set up so you push on a connected coupler to relieve pressure to connect and disconnect. They also have a smaller case drain coupler between the two mains.
Some of us thought that it was Bobcat OEM at first, but the blocks are turning up on other manufacturer's machines.

Land-Tech

Yeah Land-Tech on the newer Bobcats and some others they have an aux coupler manifold on the end of the boom-
The couplers on these manifolds fit the normal couplers but the manifold couplers are special to the assembly, and it's set up so you push on a connected coupler to relieve pressure to connect and disconnect. They also have a smaller case drain coupler between the two mains.
Some of us thought that it was Bobcat OEM at first, but the blocks are turning up on other manufacturer's machines.
I love this stuff when it works and you don't have to replace but guess we can give them points for trying a better way. Kinda nice to have a like minded mechanic like fishfiles help find a way around these small but expensive problems.Scott

Fishfiles

I love this stuff when it works and you don't have to replace but guess we can give them points for trying a better way. Kinda nice to have a like minded mechanic like fishfiles help find a way around these small but expensive problems.Scott
Thanks Land-Tech for the words , don't forget the The Tool as he planted the seed , today I went the next step on the couplers , picked up a couple of Takeuchi couplers and installed them on a Bobcat , the numbers worked out like this , for one each at Bobcat a male and a female with tax = total $258.82 , Takeuchi same =$131.13 , savings $127.69 , a little short of buy one and get one free ---------the block/manifold assembly with all 3 couplers and guts at Bobcat is $300 and Takeuchi is $191.00 , you can get the whole assembly $70 cheaper than than just the two couplers , mind boggling , stock up cause I don't think it will stay long --------------need try to find where Takeuchi and Bobcat are buying them and how to get them , Katrina clean up ate up truck loads of those couplers , I heard it many times that those couplers are the number one selling part for a couple of years around here