Huge problem....rented bobcat stuck/won't run

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
T

T190stuck

Way to go getting it out , I am kinda guess at where you would be at now and if you have a battery load tester that is where I would start , then I'd check all the fuses visually by pulling them one at a time and see if any are blown or corrided on the spades , a test lght probally won't do you any good as I doubt you could power up the dash , there is a 100 amp fuse in a plastic box above the battery , follow the batterry cable up to locate that , if you find fuse problems and relacing them doesn't give you power , you can use a screw driver and some spray lube on the rubber around the fuse box and pry the box with the rubber boot out away from the sheet metal , you got just enough slack to get it out and peel back the rubber boot that goes around the fuse box which will expose the back of the fuse panel , , I would bet that is where you will see some of the wires broke of the terminals on back the box , if so try and solder a piece of wire to the terminal on back the box and to the wire that broke off or if you can't do that get a inline fuse holder and wire a fuse in , you can pass the wire thru a hole in the box and let the fuse holder lay inside the cover -----I know you have to feel better already
I'm not sure what's going to happen yet with the rental company. Before we had it pulled out this morning the owner of the rental place said, "the clock is ticking". Dad pressure washed it & was cleaning it up when I left. As far as I know it still wasn't running when they picked it up. I'm hoping they can fix it easily and don't charge much. I'm not sure if they are going to charge for the full amount of days it was out either, hope not. I really didn't know what kind of resources were available either. My mom knows the guy who owns that big machine, so she got him to bring it over. The operator of it had to take a different route and still knocked down several trees. I'll try to post up when I know the final outcome. Thanks, Cam

nobull1

I'm not sure what's going to happen yet with the rental company. Before we had it pulled out this morning the owner of the rental place said, "the clock is ticking". Dad pressure washed it & was cleaning it up when I left. As far as I know it still wasn't running when they picked it up. I'm hoping they can fix it easily and don't charge much. I'm not sure if they are going to charge for the full amount of days it was out either, hope not. I really didn't know what kind of resources were available either. My mom knows the guy who owns that big machine, so she got him to bring it over. The operator of it had to take a different route and still knocked down several trees. I'll try to post up when I know the final outcome. Thanks, Cam
I wouldn't get to bent out of shape if they want to charge for the time it is out at your location. As long as it is at your location, and/or out of service they can't make money on rental. Understandable of them to say the clock is ticking. If I couldn't get it working real soon or know someone who can, I would get it back to them soon as possible and let them deal with it. Maybe the clock will/should stop once it is in their yard and you will pay just for repairs. These situations are never good and a good personality is the best way to save money. In the end they will play the cards as they see fit IMHO.

Brian

jerry

I wouldn't get to bent out of shape if they want to charge for the time it is out at your location. As long as it is at your location, and/or out of service they can't make money on rental. Understandable of them to say the clock is ticking. If I couldn't get it working real soon or know someone who can, I would get it back to them soon as possible and let them deal with it. Maybe the clock will/should stop once it is in their yard and you will pay just for repairs. These situations are never good and a good personality is the best way to save money. In the end they will play the cards as they see fit IMHO.

Brian
Really good to see you got it out, a grapple skidder like that has tremendous force. If no one got hurt that is the main thing. Thanks for the pictures.

pondfishr

Really good to see you got it out, a grapple skidder like that has tremendous force. If no one got hurt that is the main thing. Thanks for the pictures.
I echo the congrats on getting it out of that mess. Good luck with the rental company, they surely have had to deal with something like this before. They might have a risk insurance policy or something. If they don't I bet they are asking their agent if they can get one in place for the next time.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Hey guys--I'm new here---great site! I got my backhoe stuck, not as bad as this, but since then I keep several lengths of heavy steel pipe, large angle iron or I-beams handy that I can either shove under the machine length wise to reach under the front bucket from the rear OR from the front, lay down under the bucket in the direction I want to go. Then lower the front bucket fully onto the steel pipe/beamlike rails or skids---you only really need one though. Then I use the backhoe to pull or push myself out (I call it "crabbing"). You'd be amazed at how easy wet metal against the bottom of a wet bucket slides---like butter! With a skid steer not necessarily having the ability to move itself on these skids or rails, one could use a marginally-rated come-a-long (yikes!) or anything that can pull it instead. Plenty of times I have pulled myself out using only my bucket with a chain and a tree. It's slow but sure.

Fishfiles

The way we handled a situation like this when I was with the rental yard was that the clock keep running until all repairs were made and the machine was back up and rent ready , remember a few times that a two day weekend rental turned into a months rent -----like stated it is only fair as the rental company can't be expected to eat the lose of possible rentals revenues and the cost of repairs because of the machine being down , with that being said every sitation is different ----now you can see how the bill can get up there , if you were to have had to pay for the skidder which pulled it out , delivery and pick up of it , the personal envolved , the extra rental cost and the repairs , I just hope the company don't stick it to you'll too bad and the damages are minimal , just speculation , I really think the wires are burned behind the fuse box from water damage , they could repair the harness but the norm would be to replace it , especially it someone else did the damage , a wiring harness is about $1,000 for that machine and a good day work installing it , I would guess it could cost $2,000 to repair it worst case senerio , but it could be alot worst , next time you'll need some work done it would probally be better to contract it out , a lot of people think they are saving money doing it themselves , but an experienced operator can do more work and a better job in a much shorter time and all the problems are on them -------Happy New Year

pondfishr

The way we handled a situation like this when I was with the rental yard was that the clock keep running until all repairs were made and the machine was back up and rent ready , remember a few times that a two day weekend rental turned into a months rent -----like stated it is only fair as the rental company can't be expected to eat the lose of possible rentals revenues and the cost of repairs because of the machine being down , with that being said every sitation is different ----now you can see how the bill can get up there , if you were to have had to pay for the skidder which pulled it out , delivery and pick up of it , the personal envolved , the extra rental cost and the repairs , I just hope the company don't stick it to you'll too bad and the damages are minimal , just speculation , I really think the wires are burned behind the fuse box from water damage , they could repair the harness but the norm would be to replace it , especially it someone else did the damage , a wiring harness is about $1,000 for that machine and a good day work installing it , I would guess it could cost $2,000 to repair it worst case senerio , but it could be alot worst , next time you'll need some work done it would probally be better to contract it out , a lot of people think they are saving money doing it themselves , but an experienced operator can do more work and a better job in a much shorter time and all the problems are on them -------Happy New Year
That is a point to consider that before you rent the machine you should work out the details for any additional rental charges if an equipment problem occurs from operator error. Good Project Management planning takes into consideration during the project planning phase all possible risks both positive and negative. One option we have is if the risk is large enough you want to either not initiate the project or you transfer the risk to a second party "contractor" mitigating your financial liability.

Barfly69

That is a point to consider that before you rent the machine you should work out the details for any additional rental charges if an equipment problem occurs from operator error. Good Project Management planning takes into consideration during the project planning phase all possible risks both positive and negative. One option we have is if the risk is large enough you want to either not initiate the project or you transfer the risk to a second party "contractor" mitigating your financial liability.
I have to tell you I read the whole thread post by post as if it were a movie filling with anticipation as to when and how it would be extracted. Looks like you guys did a heck of a job which included alot of work and worry. My hat is off once again to all the great folks here in this forum who time after time share there knowledge and experiences with anyone who needs them. This story is one for the books no doubt I've never seen anything quite like it I am how ever waiting to read the epilogue, my fingers are crossed that the rental buisness went easy on your dad as far as costs etc? Good luck to you.

OP
OP
T

T190stuck

I have to tell you I read the whole thread post by post as if it were a movie filling with anticipation as to when and how it would be extracted. Looks like you guys did a heck of a job which included alot of work and worry. My hat is off once again to all the great folks here in this forum who time after time share there knowledge and experiences with anyone who needs them. This story is one for the books no doubt I've never seen anything quite like it I am how ever waiting to read the epilogue, my fingers are crossed that the rental buisness went easy on your dad as far as costs etc? Good luck to you.
Alright, here's a little update. I wish that my dad had spent a little time to open the fuse box b/c he could have just fixed it himself, but I think he wanted to get it back to the rental company a.s.a.p. and was was tired/stressed out. It ended up needing some relays. The company is billing him a little over $1k for picking the bobcat up and for the repairs. According to my dad that's all the bill is for, so no extra days for the time it was out of commission. I know the rental place didn't spend that much troubleshooting/buying parts, but he's kind of at their mercy I suppose. I told him that he's probably lucky it's not more b/c of the days it was unable to be rented. It could have been worse. Thanks again for all the help. Cam

Tazza

Staff member
Alright, here's a little update. I wish that my dad had spent a little time to open the fuse box b/c he could have just fixed it himself, but I think he wanted to get it back to the rental company a.s.a.p. and was was tired/stressed out. It ended up needing some relays. The company is billing him a little over $1k for picking the bobcat up and for the repairs. According to my dad that's all the bill is for, so no extra days for the time it was out of commission. I know the rental place didn't spend that much troubleshooting/buying parts, but he's kind of at their mercy I suppose. I told him that he's probably lucky it's not more b/c of the days it was unable to be rented. It could have been worse. Thanks again for all the help. Cam
I'm glad it wasn't REALLY bad, but still thats a hefty bill but as long as he knows it could have been a lot worse!!!!
I'm sure he will be staying away from renting a skid steer for a little while......

Fishfiles

Do you think you could give us a break down of what your Dad was charged for , such as how much for pickup of the machine and what parts were used and how much labor time , $1,000 for relays is a little steep as there are 5 in there and they cost somewhere between $5 and $10 each , sounds like thy got their rental time , they just bundled it up with other charges , but like you said you were at their mercy and I guess it wasn't that bad , could have been alot worst , consider it a lesson learn

877skidsteer

A thousand dollars sounds like a lot for a pickup and some relays considering that you got the machine out of that mess yourself. Over here, the rental rates are discounted quite a bit for a week vs the daily rate and include a few free days on a weekly. We have always found it to be good business to be very reasonable in a situation such as yours. A happy customer is a repeat customer! At least nobody got hurt...

Eric

A thousand dollars sounds like a lot for a pickup and some relays considering that you got the machine out of that mess yourself. Over here, the rental rates are discounted quite a bit for a week vs the daily rate and include a few free days on a weekly. We have always found it to be good business to be very reasonable in a situation such as yours. A happy customer is a repeat customer! At least nobody got hurt...
Heres another stuck machine. Heres a link if you want to read the story.
http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=14898&highlight=stuck+excavator
11-14-2006-14.jpg picture by dayexco

11-14-2006-10.jpg picture by dayexco

11-14-2006-05.jpg picture by dayexco

11-14-2006-06.jpg picture by dayexco

skidsteer.ca

Heres another stuck machine. Heres a link if you want to read the story.
http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=14898&highlight=stuck+excavator
I wish I had pics of that Cat feller buncher we pulled out a few years ago for another contractor. One track was completely out of sight and the front end of the second track too. It was listing forward and sideways at about a 35 degree angle. Had mud 1/3 up the front window. Took a 330 cat ecavator and 2 250hp skidder winching to free it. We pulled the whole top off that swamp over to the bedrock and it finally started to come up when it got to the rock. Stretched a 11/4" shackel where the 2 60k lb winches were hooked. Sadly it turned engine bearings a few hours after they got it running again and the repair bill put the contractor under.
Didn't look nothing like those excavator pics, but just goes to show it can always be worse.
On our skidders we finally welded tow hooks on the blade, so if you get stuck you can lift the blade up above the mud and have something solid to hook on to. I had one operator put 6" of mud over the floorboards once. Really makes you apreciate your good guys that don't get into those situations. We have been fortunate to not need anything more then a major bath after getting out
Ken