How to load / move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mistersweeper

How do you tow and lower loader arms on a non running skid steer ? I only need to tow it onto a trailer with a winch, not like I'm towing it down the road. I was wondering if you just loosen the hyd hoses for the loader to let it bleed out and lower the arm or what.

TriHonu

What loader do you have? On Bobcats at least back to the C series there is a knob on the cab floor on the right side of the seat. Pull up on the knob and then push the pedal to lower the boom.
To tow there are two issues: the parking brake and disconnecting the drive motors.
1. The parking brake is in the top of the chain case on Bobcats. You have to raise the cab and you will find a solenoid with three wires near the front of the loader. remove the bolts and pull the unit straight up. You may have to rock the machine forward or back while pulling it. If you are just going to pull it up on a trailer, this may be the only thing you need to disconnect.
2. To disconnect the wheels you can unbolt the drive motors and pull them free of the chain case. You will probably have to disconnect the hydraulic lines. Make sure you cover the hose end to prevent any dirt from getting into the system.
I know my dealer uses a rollback truck and just uses the winch to drag the loader up on the bed.

OP
OP
M

mistersweeper

What loader do you have? On Bobcats at least back to the C series there is a knob on the cab floor on the right side of the seat. Pull up on the knob and then push the pedal to lower the boom.
To tow there are two issues: the parking brake and disconnecting the drive motors.
1. The parking brake is in the top of the chain case on Bobcats. You have to raise the cab and you will find a solenoid with three wires near the front of the loader. remove the bolts and pull the unit straight up. You may have to rock the machine forward or back while pulling it. If you are just going to pull it up on a trailer, this may be the only thing you need to disconnect.
2. To disconnect the wheels you can unbolt the drive motors and pull them free of the chain case. You will probably have to disconnect the hydraulic lines. Make sure you cover the hose end to prevent any dirt from getting into the system.
I know my dealer uses a rollback truck and just uses the winch to drag the loader up on the bed.
The machine is a 1978 IH 4140. If dragging it won't F@#$ anything up we can winch it onto the trailer.

Land-Tech

The machine is a 1978 IH 4140. If dragging it won't F@#$ anything up we can winch it onto the trailer.
Dragging it up on the trailer should be fine.If it dry and hard to skid a little vegetable oil under the tires will help it slide.
As far as hurting the machine, remember you are always skidding one side or the other to turn so doing it a short way probably won't hurt. Maybe a flat spot on your tires if you go a long way.Scott

OP
OP
M

mistersweeper

Dragging it up on the trailer should be fine.If it dry and hard to skid a little vegetable oil under the tires will help it slide.
As far as hurting the machine, remember you are always skidding one side or the other to turn so doing it a short way probably won't hurt. Maybe a flat spot on your tires if you go a long way.Scott
Well, I got the loader home. There was enough ice and snow that the tires just slid. To unload, I used my A300 and put the 4140 bucket inside the A300 bucket and chained it tight. I could control it coming down the trailer ramps then. Wouldn't want to do that everyday !!