How to identify my Bobcat model and year

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hondaman900

I have what I believe to be an M-600 Bobcat. This is what the guy I bought it from told me, though he new so little it was scary.
My question is how can I ID my Bobcat? Should there be a plate somewhere giving the model and year of manufacture? It's been repainted over the years, so I'm sure I'll have to scrape around to get it, but if so where should it be?
Or are these beasts ID'd by their engine/serial number, or something of that nature?
All help much appreciated.
Stephen

Tazza

Staff member
I've uploaded a picture of my Bobcat to the "Identify This" photo album on this forum. Please take a peek and let me know if this is an M-600. You can see it here
Thanks
I have never owned an M-600, but it does look like one.
What model engine does it have? that may help with working it out.
You could also try: http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/index.html
Click on skid-steer loaders at the bottom, then use the drop down list for the M-600 series and see if you can work it out.
There should be a plate on it somewhere telling you just what model it is.

OP
OP
H

Hondaman900

I have never owned an M-600, but it does look like one.
What model engine does it have? that may help with working it out.
You could also try: http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/index.html
Click on skid-steer loaders at the bottom, then use the drop down list for the M-600 series and see if you can work it out.
There should be a plate on it somewhere telling you just what model it is.
It has a Winconsin gas V4 engine, but so did several models I'm afraid. I've been to the Bobcat site section you reference, and it's terrific if you already know your model or year. I did look at the archive photos, and I think it looks more like a 610 than a 600, but the differences are subtle at best.
Any idea where I'd find the ID plate?
Thanks,
Stephen

OP
OP
H

Hondaman900

It has a Winconsin gas V4 engine, but so did several models I'm afraid. I've been to the Bobcat site section you reference, and it's terrific if you already know your model or year. I did look at the archive photos, and I think it looks more like a 610 than a 600, but the differences are subtle at best.
Any idea where I'd find the ID plate?
Thanks,
Stephen
Okay, I found the serial number plate. It's so worn out it's almost impossible to read. I had to wait until night time and read it with a flashlight to see the faint indentations of what were numbers stamped into it. You can see a pic here. Best I can tell from the plate it's a 600.
Whaddyathink?

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, I found the serial number plate. It's so worn out it's almost impossible to read. I had to wait until night time and read it with a flashlight to see the faint indentations of what were numbers stamped into it. You can see a pic here. Best I can tell from the plate it's a 600.
Whaddyathink?
From that plate and the picture of the unit, i would say it is an M600.
When you need to order parts, get them to fax you a parts breakdown of that section to confirm its look the same then you should be ok.