how to drain coolant

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stealman

I just bought a 1997 753 and wat to drain and flush the coolant. I cant figure out how to do it. Can any one offer any help? Thanks

OldMachinist

The arrow in the picture points to the coolant drain. Slip a hose on it, remove radiator cap and open valve.
753coolantdrain.jpg

OP
OP
S

stealman

The arrow in the picture points to the coolant drain. Slip a hose on it, remove radiator cap and open valve.
Thanks that helps. Is there a problem using regular coolant? I want to use Supertech {wallmart} brand. It says it is good for all automobiles.

OldMachinist

It is ethylene glycole. Is that okay?
As long as you're sure you flushed all the old propylene glycol coolant out it shouldn't be a problem. They use the propylene gycol because it's enviroment freindly if you blow a coolant hose. I would also apply a label to the radiator showing that it has ethylene glycol in it so someone doesn't mix it up in the future.

JD4440

As long as you're sure you flushed all the old propylene glycol coolant out it shouldn't be a problem. They use the propylene gycol because it's enviroment freindly if you blow a coolant hose. I would also apply a label to the radiator showing that it has ethylene glycol in it so someone doesn't mix it up in the future.
I tested the S185 at work 2 days ago and it tested +20 . If I drain it and run the engine with just tap water for 2 flushes I should be cleaned out enough to use traditional green coolant maybe ?? I'd use PG but it would be a lot simpler if it had what they have at the shop in it.

donald73d

I tested the S185 at work 2 days ago and it tested +20 . If I drain it and run the engine with just tap water for 2 flushes I should be cleaned out enough to use traditional green coolant maybe ?? I'd use PG but it would be a lot simpler if it had what they have at the shop in it.
Get some G-05 coolant at NAPA. Longer life than the old green antifreeze and its spec'ed for diesels. The best out there is John Deere CoolGuard II.

JD4440

Get some G-05 coolant at NAPA. Longer life than the old green antifreeze and its spec'ed for diesels. The best out there is John Deere CoolGuard II.
I used some "SIERRA" PG coolant . They had it at my local NAPA.