Hour meter runs continuous if battery connected.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
M

marko13

Do you have rpm up?
Yeah, I kinda figured that out...I was tending to run pretty slow since i'm inexperienced but did notice that had an effect. Does it hurt the engine or pump to run too low rpm? It can get pretty jumpy at moments with rpm up - i think it's my lack of technique - but can that also be an adjustment or something else? The hyd pump was supposedly rebuilt or replaced.

superniceguy5687

To the original post. I have a Bobcat 743 from 1985 thats still going. The key is only used to preheat your glow plugs, and start/run. You put the key in the off or central position and pull up on the Red Knob right by your right thigh you stop the engine. I dont think there was too many changes on the 743, not that I am aware of, as they were the original design and was the one that got Bobcat where it is today. If it wasnt for the 743, none of the others would exist. I had to get a new wire harness for mine, and there was no provision for the key to shut the engine off. When you pull up the red knob, if yours is like mine, all it does is shut the air supply off to the engine, basically starving it for air. My sequence for shutting it off, is put key into central position, and pull up on the knob. Once the engine dies, you can either leave the knob up, or push it down, which ever way you want. But the knob will have to be down if you are starting it. Hope that helps you out. Any more questions hit me up, will try my best to answer them.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Good to know. Thanks for sharing this. guess I'll keep the new ignition switch for future reference, since I haven't gotten a round tuit lol.

FJRDarksider

Mine ran constantly on my 853, even after I fixed the backwards ignition wiring (at the switch). Didn't fix the issue initially until I discovered there was an additional negative lead that was touching frame. Prior owner installed one from his boat that was slightly larger than the OEM unit and it was a tight fit in the housing. Why the added negative lead is there I can't say.....
In any event, it operates fine now (only when the engine actually starts)
Wiring schematic should help figure things out I would think.

Schifference

I suggest you video this and document it. Later when you decide to sell the machine you show the perspective buyer that the meter is or was faulty and suggest that there are way less hours on machine than the meter indicates.

Latest posts