Hour meter runs continuous if battery connected.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

Would there be a logical first thing to check? Also how would you run it back to its actual hours?

brdgbldr

Would there be a logical first thing to check? Also how would you run it back to its actual hours?
First thing I would check is the ignition switch. If it's a keyed machine it may not be disconnecting completely.

You can run an hour meter up by attaching a 9 volt battery. Not sure but you could try reverse the positive and negative and see if it runs down.

foton

i believe that hour meters are designed so they can not be reversed to prevent hourly machine fraud. You can try above as stated but I do not think will work. also the switch might be miswired giving the clock full time power, it needs to be on the run post.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Thanks I'll check the switch. I was told the hyd pump was rebuilt and the hour meter zeroed out at the time. It had, I think, around 36 hrs on it but we were keeping it on a trickle charger cuz the battery would go down. After being parked for a month it now has 764 . I know the wiring is messed up cuz no lights and safety stuff was disconnected.

OP
OP
M

marko13

By the way when I turn the switch off the engine does not stop I have to pull the red fuel cut off switch out. Is that how they are supposed to work?

brdgbldr

By the way when I turn the switch off the engine does not stop I have to pull the red fuel cut off switch out. Is that how they are supposed to work?
No, the key should turn it off.

I would go ahead and replace your ignition switch. They are cheap and pretty easy to replace. Just take photos of where the wires go before removing them. This will eliminate the ignition from any other issues like shorts in the wiring.

foton

using a manual shut off cable is not the orginal way to kill engine I believe ,but it does work well enough to keep it like that since you are having wiring issues. call it the KISS method.

Jyuma1

I don't believe hour meters are capable of running backwards, but there is another way. Leave the hour meter disconnected and use your machine that way. After you have used your loader for the number of hours you want removed from the hour meter, simply reconnect the hour meter. Problem solved.

OP
OP
M

marko13

I don't believe hour meters are capable of running backwards, but there is another way. Leave the hour meter disconnected and use your machine that way. After you have used your loader for the number of hours you want removed from the hour meter, simply reconnect the hour meter. Problem solved.
Genius simple, ha, thanks

OP
OP
M

marko13

No, the key should turn it off.

I would go ahead and replace your ignition switch. They are cheap and pretty easy to replace. Just take photos of where the wires go before removing them. This will eliminate the ignition from any other issues like shorts in the wiring.
Sounds like a plan. Do you guys buy all your parts from bobcat which I'm sure are high priced or does Amazon or wherever have parts that will work even if they're not brand name?

foton

I guess it just depends on how overpriced bob cat is and what part it is, somethings like a alternator get whatever from whoever as long as it is a direct fit, bobcat buys theirs from a vendor just by their specs. bucket teeth i just bought generic aftermarket they fit and seem like they are going to be just fine. water pump get from kubota and filters go to napa and buy them there , they are wix filters . you will get the hang of it.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Hope I don't wear out my welcome with all these noobie questions "-)
So I was looking to check/change the ignition switch and I'm not sure how to pop the plastic shroud off to get it out.
I assume it's just pop in plastic prongs or something but i didn't want to break it...anyone know? Looked for youtube but haven't found yet.

Also I took the hour meter out and it only had one terminal, the other one is broken off at the plastic ... I'm surprised it runs at all with no ground... unless it broke when i pulled it out but I doubt it cuz I was very slow and gentle removing it, it was pretty tight in the hole.

OP
OP
M

marko13

It creeps to the right and park brakes don't work so got to adjust those...back to Utube lol.
Moved a little dirt today and seems to work ok. When I push it a little gets pretty loud and screechy...is that normal?

Micheal

On my electrical schematics it will be a 16 gauge wire yellow/brown running from trans. Charge pressure switch to hour meter.

Micheal

It creeps to the right and park brakes don't work so got to adjust those...back to Utube lol.
Moved a little dirt today and seems to work ok. When I push it a little gets pretty loud and screechy...is that normal?
Do you have rpm up?

Micheal

Hope I don't wear out my welcome with all these noobie questions "-)
So I was looking to check/change the ignition switch and I'm not sure how to pop the plastic shroud off to get it out.
I assume it's just pop in plastic prongs or something but i didn't want to break it...anyone know? Looked for youtube but haven't found yet.

Also I took the hour meter out and it only had one terminal, the other one is broken off at the plastic ... I'm surprised it runs at all with no ground... unless it broke when i pulled it out but I doubt it cuz I was very slow and gentle removing it, it was pretty tight in the hole.
On my there are three bolts on front outside of cab.

Micheal

Sounds like a plan. Do you guys buy all your parts from bobcat which I'm sure are high priced or does Amazon or wherever have parts that will work even if they're not brand name?
If you know how to use a multimeter you can check each position of the ignition switch to see if you get connection and disconnection depending on position of switch.