Help with jd ct332

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bucketboy

New here. Been working on a ct 332 for a few weeks, trying to catch up on maint that appears to be lagging from previous owner. The problem that I am having at this time is the cover on the sun gear on the left side track is getting very hot while the right side feels just barley warm to the touch. The darn manuals do not diagnose this type of problem. I have made sure the track is clear of mud and debris, drained, flushed, and filled with new gear oil. Does anybody know if this is the indicator to replace the drive motor or is there any thing that I should before doing that.

SkidRoe

Hi bucketboy,
I moved your post here, as it seemed more likely to get an answer.
Cheers - SR

Tazza

Staff member
Hi bucketboy,
I moved your post here, as it seemed more likely to get an answer.
Cheers - SR
I don't know how the drive motor is setup, but could the issue be a bearing? Some are sealed, others are lubricated by the hydraulic fluid.

OP
OP
B

bucketboy

I don't know how the drive motor is setup, but could the issue be a bearing? Some are sealed, others are lubricated by the hydraulic fluid.
Thanks for looking out for me SkidRoe, I'm new to forum's, and still getting use to the forum etiquette. Tazza, I'm not sure about the bearings. It would seem to me that I would have completely have lost the drive by now, as I have been running the machine for 45 min's at a time for the last week or so, and then give it about an hours rest for the drive to cool down. I have been thinking that maybe the brake is not fully releasing on that side????? Anyway I guess that if I keep running it I will finally find out real soon I'm sure. The bearings are needle bearing type according to the service manual, and are lubricated by hyd fluid. I am on the lookout for a reman drive or the the rebuild kit.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for looking out for me SkidRoe, I'm new to forum's, and still getting use to the forum etiquette. Tazza, I'm not sure about the bearings. It would seem to me that I would have completely have lost the drive by now, as I have been running the machine for 45 min's at a time for the last week or so, and then give it about an hours rest for the drive to cool down. I have been thinking that maybe the brake is not fully releasing on that side????? Anyway I guess that if I keep running it I will finally find out real soon I'm sure. The bearings are needle bearing type according to the service manual, and are lubricated by hyd fluid. I am on the lookout for a reman drive or the the rebuild kit.
I never thought about the brakes, it is possible that is the issue.
If the bearings are lubricated by hydraulic fluid, hopefully they are ok.

OP
OP
B

bucketboy

I never thought about the brakes, it is possible that is the issue.
If the bearings are lubricated by hydraulic fluid, hopefully they are ok.
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep running it this way until it goes. I bet it's gonna get expensive soon.

jerrys

i am having the same problem. gets hot enough and blows oil out somewhere. Have you found anything out yet?

OP
OP
B

bucketboy

i am having the same problem. gets hot enough and blows oil out somewhere. Have you found anything out yet?
Just purchased and replaced the left drive, $ 3600 I did all the labor myself. The problem was not the drive. Still having the same problem on the new drive. I guess I will test the brake solenoid and the manifold next. I just don't understand how it could be the solenoid or manifold causing the left side to drag and not cause the same problem on the right side. Anyhow I now own a back up drive. I will let you guy's know if and when I get the problem fixed. In the mean time, if your cover plate is getting real hot and you get grinding noise and your engine shuts down because the drive quits turning, do not go down and buy a new drive thinking it is the bearings.

OP
OP
B

bucketboy

Jerry, in ref to your problem, I would think you blew a seal if you are losing oil at the drive. You need to check the gear oil on the drive. Unscrew the middle hex bolt and smell if the oil is burnt. when I noticed mine was getting hot, I would do this and if it smelled burnt I would drain it and refill with fresh oil, and then keep running it for up to 45 mins at a time then let it cool. The reason I decided to change the drive is because I started to get a loud squealing noise from it and I figured that I had finally wore out the drive. Anyway I'll keep you guy's informed.

OP
OP
B

bucketboy

Jerry, in ref to your problem, I would think you blew a seal if you are losing oil at the drive. You need to check the gear oil on the drive. Unscrew the middle hex bolt and smell if the oil is burnt. when I noticed mine was getting hot, I would do this and if it smelled burnt I would drain it and refill with fresh oil, and then keep running it for up to 45 mins at a time then let it cool. The reason I decided to change the drive is because I started to get a loud squealing noise from it and I figured that I had finally wore out the drive. Anyway I'll keep you guy's informed.
Alright everybody, good news. It was just a weak $70 dollar park brake solenoid. Took about 15 mins to remove and install. Machine is up and running, drive is not dragging or getting hot anymore. However it was a costly mistake to purchase a new drive and install it, but at least I have a backup drive now. Again, if this happens to you, go to testing the park brake solenoid as your first step to isolating the problem. It will save you a lot of work if you are simply loosing pressure to your brakes.

jerrys

Alright everybody, good news. It was just a weak $70 dollar park brake solenoid. Took about 15 mins to remove and install. Machine is up and running, drive is not dragging or getting hot anymore. However it was a costly mistake to purchase a new drive and install it, but at least I have a backup drive now. Again, if this happens to you, go to testing the park brake solenoid as your first step to isolating the problem. It will save you a lot of work if you are simply loosing pressure to your brakes.
do you want to sell the drive you bought?