Help!! Must be a real Idiot.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

myron60

Ihave a 763F and tried to change the parking brake solenoid but couldn't get the piston to release when I removed the solenoid. Tried taking the plate underneath off to but don't have enough room to take out bolt under the control arms, now cannot release parking brake at all. I am at my wits end, been working on this most of the day, and getting extremely frustrated, decided to have a Jack & Coke and check with the experts. Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions beforehand. Trying to relax Myron

Fishfiles

I removed the brake wedge from a 763 yesterday , the head of the bolt was very close to the linkage but I was able to shimmy a thin wall Snap On socket in there and get the back bolt out , if you don't have enough of room to get the bolt out of yours with out moving the linkage then I would use a die grinder and make a half circle where I needed it rather than move the linage --------I unbolted the steering rods and the cowl ( metal that the travel levers are attached to ) and rolled the cowl forward without unhooking any wires and I had more than enough room to get the mounting plate off and the wedge out , the reason you might not be able to get the brake wedge out is that there is pressure on it , you may have to roll the machine forward or back a little to free it up

OP
OP
M

myron60

I removed the brake wedge from a 763 yesterday , the head of the bolt was very close to the linkage but I was able to shimmy a thin wall Snap On socket in there and get the back bolt out , if you don't have enough of room to get the bolt out of yours with out moving the linkage then I would use a die grinder and make a half circle where I needed it rather than move the linage --------I unbolted the steering rods and the cowl ( metal that the travel levers are attached to ) and rolled the cowl forward without unhooking any wires and I had more than enough room to get the mounting plate off and the wedge out , the reason you might not be able to get the brake wedge out is that there is pressure on it , you may have to roll the machine forward or back a little to free it up
Thanks Fish, I'll give it a try, this really po's me, was working fine without the parking brake now won't work at all. Again thanks, I'll give that a try. Myron

Bobcatdan

Thanks Fish, I'll give it a try, this really po's me, was working fine without the parking brake now won't work at all. Again thanks, I'll give that a try. Myron
I'm a little confussed. The solenoid can be tight under the steering linkage, but I don't remember ever having a problem. I remove the 1/4 20 bolts and wiggle the solenoid out. Next to never remove the lower mount. If you do remove the lower mount, make sure the slant faces back, the brake will bind if put in backwards. Best luck.

OP
OP
M

myron60

I'm a little confussed. The solenoid can be tight under the steering linkage, but I don't remember ever having a problem. I remove the 1/4 20 bolts and wiggle the solenoid out. Next to never remove the lower mount. If you do remove the lower mount, make sure the slant faces back, the brake will bind if put in backwards. Best luck.
Thanks yall I finally got the solenoid out last night, and I found wrapped aound the bolt inside the spring below the wedge someone had a piece of a coke can in there. I took pics but havent been able to post them. Again thanks for our help.

OP
OP
M

myron60

Thanks yall I finally got the solenoid out last night, and I found wrapped aound the bolt inside the spring below the wedge someone had a piece of a coke can in there. I took pics but havent been able to post them. Again thanks for our help.
Here's what I found after I pulled the solenoid.
parkingbrake%20piston.jpg

parkingbrake%20piston2.jpg

Fishfiles

Well that sure would stop the brake coming on :)
Good to hear you got it out. Shouldn't be too hard to get it working as it should.
that would have taken a pretty good guess to say " ..... I think you got a piece of Coke can wrapped around the brake wedge's shaft " ---------------- all they had to do was take that whole piece out of the machine and bolt the solinoid back over the hole ------------

Tazza

Staff member
that would have taken a pretty good guess to say " ..... I think you got a piece of Coke can wrapped around the brake wedge's shaft " ---------------- all they had to do was take that whole piece out of the machine and bolt the solinoid back over the hole ------------
Removing the wedge would have been easier, but good for you, you don't need to go out and buy a new wedge, just remove the can bits and work out why the brake would not stay off. No doubt why it was messed with in the first place.

Latest posts