Help! Fuel injection pump on bobcat t140

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

frankym

Hey,

I bought a used machine and needed to do a lot of work on it to get it to a good state. It's a bobcat t140 with a Kubota v2203 tier 2. I've replaced all the belts with pulleys and tensioners, all filters, all fluids, new lift pump, new shutoff solenoid, new injectors and injection pump. The machine starts up right away and runs no problem. Issue I'm running into is under load the machine puffs black smoke at that point and looses power right away, also after running the exhaust gets so hot that I need to shut machine down. After researching, I'm thinking the machine is running lean, so I went to check the timing on the fuel injection pump and it's way off. The second timing mark on the gear pushes fuel from #1 about an inch after both lines have passed, the service manual says that it should happen just when I hit that second line. I've tried removing shims and tested after each shim removed and I still cannot get the timing on it to set correctly. Currently only have 1 shim on the pump and it's still retarded an inch passed the mark and have no clue how to fix this. I believe that this is the issue with the machine running lean but I'm stumped on this. Any help would be great

Tazza

Staff member
I don't think lean is your issue, diesels pull in a full air charge every cycle, only the amount of fuel being injected changes, more fuel equals more boom. Too much fuel to air, and you get smoke.

Why did you replace the pump? i'm wondering if you got the right pump for your engine, i have been told by our '02 and '03 mechanic that the injector cam in the DI and IDI are different, is it possible you have been supplied the wrong type of pump to suit your engine? Not all V2203 pumps are the same. It can also be the reason your fuel injection is happening so late.

Usually i believe there are 1 or two shims on pumps from the factory.

As you have changed the pump, it is also possible your max fuel limiter needs winding in a little. It limits how much fuel your pump can supply, if there is too much, you get black smoke, but it does sound like the issue could be the pump being too retarded.

OP
OP
F

frankym

I replaced the pump because when I bought the machine, it had a ton of black smoke during operation, during idle and full throttle, I figured I might as well replace the injectors also to to make sure. I replaced the pump with the exact same pump that was in the machine using the stamped number on the part, same with the injectors and confirmed it with the some data I have the right pump. Changing these fixed a ton of fuel issues I was having but the last issues is this one. I'm not sure if I doing the timing procedure correctly but am following the service manual for this, am I missing something.

When I remove a shim to retest is there a certain position the rack must be in for the pump? Also where would the fuel limiter be? Is that on the injection pump of lift pump?

Latest posts