Help! Dangerous L785 free rolls!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mdurbahn

Hello, I bought a early 90's L785 from a logger the other day. I also live on a steep/mountain hill. When I got the skid steer to my house and unloaded it off the trailer it made a sound similar to a chain skipping maybe? I lost all controls, no brake, no steering and it was going by itself. Luckily it came to a stop by hitting some rocks. I hit the parking brake while it was out of control and I think that got broke during the problem. I called the previous owner and asked him if this had every happened before and if he knew what was going on. He told me it was low on hydraulic fluid and it I filled it up it would be fine. I check hyrdo fluid, indeed extremely low, I put in 14 gallons. I am still afraid to drive it up my driveway though in case it loses control and goes into free fall, is there anything else that would cause this to happen? Or should it be safe with full fluids? Thanks! matt

Tazza

Staff member
If you run out of oil, the drive motors can be allowed to free spin, but where is the oil going? When in good shape, the motors should never un out of oil.
Ensure the park brake is adjusted and in good shape. When engaged, you should not be able to move the machine when pushing the steering levers, or make it really hard to do so. When you know the brake is good, you should be safe driving up and down hills, as you still have a way to stop, worst case, push the bucket down to stop yourself too.

Mike10

If you run out of oil, the drive motors can be allowed to free spin, but where is the oil going? When in good shape, the motors should never un out of oil.
Ensure the park brake is adjusted and in good shape. When engaged, you should not be able to move the machine when pushing the steering levers, or make it really hard to do so. When you know the brake is good, you should be safe driving up and down hills, as you still have a way to stop, worst case, push the bucket down to stop yourself too.
Before shutting the engine off be sure to set the parking brake. The drive motors will turn once the engine is off If the machine starts rolling before the parking brake is engaged, the parking brake will not stop it. The parking brake on that model used two toothed sprockets one on each drive motor. When you push the parking brake pedal the linkage engages a rod into the gullet on one of the teeth on each motor. If the machine is rolling the rod will not fall into the gullet and you will hear the noise you heard. Might take a look at the rod for wear and proper operation. I have never heard of a machine getting away if the parking brake is engaged before it starts rolling...........Another precaution, never block the loader up with blocks under the wheels, always block under the frame.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Before shutting the engine off be sure to set the parking brake. The drive motors will turn once the engine is off If the machine starts rolling before the parking brake is engaged, the parking brake will not stop it. The parking brake on that model used two toothed sprockets one on each drive motor. When you push the parking brake pedal the linkage engages a rod into the gullet on one of the teeth on each motor. If the machine is rolling the rod will not fall into the gullet and you will hear the noise you heard. Might take a look at the rod for wear and proper operation. I have never heard of a machine getting away if the parking brake is engaged before it starts rolling...........Another precaution, never block the loader up with blocks under the wheels, always block under the frame.
Thanks for the info guys. Couple more questions. If everything is working properly with the parking brakes would it stop the skidsteer from moving even if it was low on hydro fluid? Second, what do you mean to not block it up under the wheels? Do you mean not to chock the wheels?

Mike10

Thanks for the info guys. Couple more questions. If everything is working properly with the parking brakes would it stop the skidsteer from moving even if it was low on hydro fluid? Second, what do you mean to not block it up under the wheels? Do you mean not to chock the wheels?
Maintaining the oil level will not keep the loader from rolling. If you rasie the loader up to work from underneath the loader you need to securely block under the frame and not put blocks under the wheels. That goes for any loader, they all have the potential of rolling, this one just rolls eaiser than some of the others. Always set the parking brake before shutting the engine off.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Maintaining the oil level will not keep the loader from rolling. If you rasie the loader up to work from underneath the loader you need to securely block under the frame and not put blocks under the wheels. That goes for any loader, they all have the potential of rolling, this one just rolls eaiser than some of the others. Always set the parking brake before shutting the engine off.
Oh thanks Mike I understand what you are saying now. But what I meant was I am afraid of it free rolling while running/driving up hill. What happened was I was going up hill and it lost all controls and I started rolling backwards with no steering or brakes. It was super low on hydro fluid so I just wanted to see if there is anything else to inspect/check/fix before attempted to drive it again so I don't get into a dangerous situation again.

Mike10

Oh thanks Mike I understand what you are saying now. But what I meant was I am afraid of it free rolling while running/driving up hill. What happened was I was going up hill and it lost all controls and I started rolling backwards with no steering or brakes. It was super low on hydro fluid so I just wanted to see if there is anything else to inspect/check/fix before attempted to drive it again so I don't get into a dangerous situation again.
If the hydro ran out of oil it would allow the motor to free wheel. If that was the case, the charge pressure light on the pillar should have come on and if the audible alarm is working it should have sounded also.