head gasket change on duetz 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

I have pulled the service records on a 1995 873 that I have bought and was told by the bobcat dealer they recommended the headgasket be changed. This they told the original owner when he took it into to get a quote on it for a trade in about 1 month ago. They told me That they told the owner it should have a new muffler installed, alternator belt and valves adjusted. They did do the valve adjustment and new muffler but not headgasket. They also told me they put a rebuilt motor in it a few years back which the original owner stated also. He said the motor from bobcat cost him about $8000. The head gasket he wasn't really aware of so he said. This machine has 300 hours on it since the new motor installed. The bobcat dealer did say the owner was very fussy about maintaining this machine. I just got off the phone with the owner and he bought it new. He said he primarily used it for snow removal and some roofing work he does. He wanted to trade up to a 2 speed and high flow that is why he sold it. He seems to be honest and has no reason to hide anything from me but I am a little concerned about the headgasket. Is this quit a job on this machine? Maybe I should just have it done and be done with it. This machine seems like it has been well taken care of. The owner also recommended I run 0/40W artic systhetic which he used. Should I stick with this oil or maybe mobil 1 or rotella sysnthetic? He also said he runs Deere hydrostatic fluid in it because he felt its the best. Please inform me on what you all think. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

By the way I payed $13000 for this which the 2 diff. bobcat deallers told me was a good price. Does have cab with heat also.

Tazza

Staff member
By the way I payed $13000 for this which the 2 diff. bobcat deallers told me was a good price. Does have cab with heat also.
Honestly with only 300 hrs on the new motor i can't see why it would need a head gasket, unless there was a problem that they knew as being a head gasket issue. If it was set correctly and not over heated there is no reason for a head gasket to fail. Some engines will run till they die on the original gasket without an issue.
I'd ask the dealer why the gasket needs changing, is it just a precaution or it there a problem with this one leaking.
If you do the gasket every few hundred hours you will be up for a pile of money.

skidsteer.ca

There must have been a problem the dealer noticed with this paticular machine, because the head gasket is not a 300 hr tune up item. Pretty poor engine design if it is.
I'd ask them why they think it should be changed. They are likely trying to protect someones reputation.
Maybe they noticed it leaking and retorqued it but had some doubts as to weather it seal up 100% or not. Not sure if the Deutz is prone to warping heads, hopefully not.
But there is probably a reason they are telling you this, I just don't think they want to share the whole story
Ken