Have you ever turned your bobcat over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bmiker

Well I have almost had my 853 to turn over several times . Now I'm scared of it and thinking about going back to a tractor with a front end loader like I had in the past. Guess what I want to know is it just me thinking it to easy to turn over while going up a small hill or I'm being over cautious. thanks

skidsteer.ca

I have no idea how close your bodies internal "panic" meter is adjusted to the real world capability of you 853. But I'd advise you to heed it.
However there are some things you can do to prevent tipping.
1) keep the heavy end up hill.
Which means, no load in the bucket you reverse to go up a steep slope. But if the bucket is loaded you drive forward up the hill. Because any skidsteer, and especiallya 853 have such a short wheelbase the operator needs to pay close attention to the slope of the jobsite.
2 Avoid driving on a side hill, when ever possible. This requires experience and sound understanding of limitations
3 Always carry the load from A to B as low as possible, then if the machine tips forward it will only tip until the load touches the ground.
When lifting heavy loads high to say place on a truck, park the truck in a level area, or AVOID parking the truck where there is a downhill slope towards the truck, if anything you want the slope up hill towards the truck in this senario. Driving forward,down a slope, with a heavy load, high in the air and trying to stop at the bottom is 5 point invitation for trouble.
The operator must understand how to keep the machine balanced, if you work with these tips in mind, I think you will become comfortable in the seat, If you don't, perhaps a skidsteer is not for you. Also a 853 has a short wheelbase for its lift capacity whick makes it more prone to tipping then some other machines that are a few inches longer. Further, reducing the weight your lifting or adding counter weights can help.
Hope this is helpful
Regards
Ken

siduramaxde

I have no idea how close your bodies internal "panic" meter is adjusted to the real world capability of you 853. But I'd advise you to heed it.
However there are some things you can do to prevent tipping.
1) keep the heavy end up hill.
Which means, no load in the bucket you reverse to go up a steep slope. But if the bucket is loaded you drive forward up the hill. Because any skidsteer, and especiallya 853 have such a short wheelbase the operator needs to pay close attention to the slope of the jobsite.
2 Avoid driving on a side hill, when ever possible. This requires experience and sound understanding of limitations
3 Always carry the load from A to B as low as possible, then if the machine tips forward it will only tip until the load touches the ground.
When lifting heavy loads high to say place on a truck, park the truck in a level area, or AVOID parking the truck where there is a downhill slope towards the truck, if anything you want the slope up hill towards the truck in this senario. Driving forward,down a slope, with a heavy load, high in the air and trying to stop at the bottom is 5 point invitation for trouble.
The operator must understand how to keep the machine balanced, if you work with these tips in mind, I think you will become comfortable in the seat, If you don't, perhaps a skidsteer is not for you. Also a 853 has a short wheelbase for its lift capacity whick makes it more prone to tipping then some other machines that are a few inches longer. Further, reducing the weight your lifting or adding counter weights can help.
Hope this is helpful
Regards
Ken
You can heed Ken's advice or you could go get yourself a track loader and never look back. Track loaders bring a whole new meaning to stability.

owensge

You can heed Ken's advice or you could go get yourself a track loader and never look back. Track loaders bring a whole new meaning to stability.
I purchased a T200 specifically because I'd be working on steep slopes and hills on my property... I'm wondering how much OTT would benefit your situation. Anyone care to chime in on that?

sterlclan

I purchased a T200 specifically because I'd be working on steep slopes and hills on my property... I'm wondering how much OTT would benefit your situation. Anyone care to chime in on that?
I don't think over tire tracks would help front to back sideways maybe a little the best thing is practice and experience time in the seat is key good luck Jeff p.s. my personal best is 6 backwards flips it was a BIG hill sideways best is only 1

nailsbeats

Over the tire steel tracks help a ton in stabilizing your machine. My Loegering Trailblazers weigh around 700 lbs for the set, I believe Grousers might even be 1100. All the weight is down low giving the machine a lot lower center of gravity which = stability. They also make your machine wider to improve side hill stability. Lastly, they don't allow your machine to rock front to back as much because stuff can't get between your tires. Traction increase is also huge. These are the reasons I leave mine on almost year round.

lgammon

Over the tire steel tracks help a ton in stabilizing your machine. My Loegering Trailblazers weigh around 700 lbs for the set, I believe Grousers might even be 1100. All the weight is down low giving the machine a lot lower center of gravity which = stability. They also make your machine wider to improve side hill stability. Lastly, they don't allow your machine to rock front to back as much because stuff can't get between your tires. Traction increase is also huge. These are the reasons I leave mine on almost year round.
i have the ott by loegering also it is night and day. i fly with them now and easly traverse hill that would have made a small teepee in the seat before. the sliding and lack of control that makes skids on hills so scary is almost all gone now. the biggest problem i have now is staing in the seat. not a big fan of the seatbelt but i use it from time to time now just to keep me in the seat. the added wieght is a big help. i think i have only taken mine off 2-3 times when i had to do alot of work in the road.

sterlclan

i have the ott by loegering also it is night and day. i fly with them now and easly traverse hill that would have made a small teepee in the seat before. the sliding and lack of control that makes skids on hills so scary is almost all gone now. the biggest problem i have now is staing in the seat. not a big fan of the seatbelt but i use it from time to time now just to keep me in the seat. the added wieght is a big help. i think i have only taken mine off 2-3 times when i had to do alot of work in the road.
I hadn't thought of the extra weight, the only ott I have any experience with are of the chain type two to three hundred pounds heavier ones would definitely help with stability Jeff

500K_773

I hadn't thought of the extra weight, the only ott I have any experience with are of the chain type two to three hundred pounds heavier ones would definitely help with stability Jeff
I think when you add spacers to run over the tire tracks you gain some side stability because the machine now has a wider stance. I have spacers to run tire chains in the winter and the added width seems to help my sidehill capability in the summer.
No to mention the added weight of OTT would lower your center of gravity.

dunringil

I had a situation just the other day. I was filling a ditch that was at the bottom of a hill. So I am travelling down hill with a bucket of dirt. If pull up to the edge of the ditch with a bucket of dirt, it tips over due to the grade. Even with the bucket only 6 inches off the ground. So I had to dump the dirt some ways back from the ditch building myself a ramp to dump from. I have tipped mine over forward several times. It's easy to do.

Idoitall

I had a situation just the other day. I was filling a ditch that was at the bottom of a hill. So I am travelling down hill with a bucket of dirt. If pull up to the edge of the ditch with a bucket of dirt, it tips over due to the grade. Even with the bucket only 6 inches off the ground. So I had to dump the dirt some ways back from the ditch building myself a ramp to dump from. I have tipped mine over forward several times. It's easy to do.
I haven't bought a machine yet, but I'm still patiently looking. I'm waiting now to get some details on a mid-90's 753 that I was told about. The guy wanted to trade for a new one, but their trade-in price was way too much for him, so he may sell it.
Having no knowledge and little experience with these machines, I realize that this is a loaded question with many answers, and that the answer can vary greatly with each machine. It sounds like one doesn't have to try very hard to rollover a skidsteer.
Generally speaking, about what percent grades can you safely operate in going straight up and down, and also what angle for operating on a hillside. I ran forklifts at work for years and I know to keep the load low, speed slow, and to back down most slopes with a load.

lgammon

I haven't bought a machine yet, but I'm still patiently looking. I'm waiting now to get some details on a mid-90's 753 that I was told about. The guy wanted to trade for a new one, but their trade-in price was way too much for him, so he may sell it.
Having no knowledge and little experience with these machines, I realize that this is a loaded question with many answers, and that the answer can vary greatly with each machine. It sounds like one doesn't have to try very hard to rollover a skidsteer.
Generally speaking, about what percent grades can you safely operate in going straight up and down, and also what angle for operating on a hillside. I ran forklifts at work for years and I know to keep the load low, speed slow, and to back down most slopes with a load.
3:1 is steep but i can work all over them, anything steeper than that i make the little teepee in the seat, and you have to be really carful.

Fishfiles

I flipped over front first in a 763 while back filling the flood wall in the French Quarter years ago , the bucket was down on the ground , not up in the air and the ground gave way it went over and landed in the hole about 8 ft deep , with the rear door facing straight up , no damage to the machine or me --------be sure you bolt down the cab as I seen an accident where the guy flipped machine with out cab bolted down and just about cut both his legs off---------last week there was a bad accident with a dozer , the operator was by himself clearing a field for a school job , at 6:30 the janitor found the machine running with no one on it , the operator was cut in two smashed into the ground , they checked his phone and found he hung up a call at 3:20 and didn't take one at 3:50 so figure it was between those time , they thinking he may have had a heart attack

frank123

I flipped over front first in a 763 while back filling the flood wall in the French Quarter years ago , the bucket was down on the ground , not up in the air and the ground gave way it went over and landed in the hole about 8 ft deep , with the rear door facing straight up , no damage to the machine or me --------be sure you bolt down the cab as I seen an accident where the guy flipped machine with out cab bolted down and just about cut both his legs off---------last week there was a bad accident with a dozer , the operator was by himself clearing a field for a school job , at 6:30 the janitor found the machine running with no one on it , the operator was cut in two smashed into the ground , they checked his phone and found he hung up a call at 3:20 and didn't take one at 3:50 so figure it was between those time , they thinking he may have had a heart attack
There's a safety reality check. We always think it's gonna be somebody else, but who knows.
In reference to track machines, I think you gain a lot of stability from the added weight of the undercarriage ( or ott tracks), but with a dedicated track machine your front and rear pivot or ground contact points are farther forward and rearward, effectively increasing your wheelbase.

Frank