hauling capabilties

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

632bobcat

can my 2006 dodge dakota 3.7 v6 truck pull a 632 bobcat on a small double axle trailer if i install a reese hitch. also does anyone know if you can make it into a dually flat bed truck with wheel adapters or if there is another trucks wheel will fit on it to make it a dually.

glenbell

3900 lb machine, add the trailer weight to that and find your truck's tow capacity - see if it's within it's limits. Pretty close to maxed out I'd bet. Does the trailer have brakes? And what do you mean by "small" trailer? Is it capable of carrying a 2 ton load? I haul my 5600 lb machine in my 3500lb trailer (with brakes) with my 1/2 ton V8, but only around town - I wouldn't want to take it out on the highway. That's a 9000 lb load on a truck that is rated for 10000 I think and it's a bit of a grunt on some of those around town hills we have here. Remember you have to be able to stop that load if someone pulls out in front of you....

Glen

skidsteer.ca

3900 lb machine, add the trailer weight to that and find your truck's tow capacity - see if it's within it's limits. Pretty close to maxed out I'd bet. Does the trailer have brakes? And what do you mean by "small" trailer? Is it capable of carrying a 2 ton load? I haul my 5600 lb machine in my 3500lb trailer (with brakes) with my 1/2 ton V8, but only around town - I wouldn't want to take it out on the highway. That's a 9000 lb load on a truck that is rated for 10000 I think and it's a bit of a grunt on some of those around town hills we have here. Remember you have to be able to stop that load if someone pulls out in front of you....

Glen
You definitely needs brakes and though I have have seen large (6000lb axel) single axel trailers are tandem with 3500 lb axels would likely be best. You don't want too heavy of a trailer eating up your total tow capacity. What you will really have to watch is thatyou don't bring too many extras with you. You may need a weight distributing hitch (special draw bar to go in receiver) to get the max tow weight rating from you truck also. Hopefully your truck is rated to tow 7000 lbs total. As for making it a dually I don't think that is possible.
If you really want to know you should contct your local DOT as ask for somone that works in comercial vehicle enforcement, but you may hear more then you really want too.
Ken

TheMEGAbobcatman

You definitely needs brakes and though I have have seen large (6000lb axel) single axel trailers are tandem with 3500 lb axels would likely be best. You don't want too heavy of a trailer eating up your total tow capacity. What you will really have to watch is thatyou don't bring too many extras with you. You may need a weight distributing hitch (special draw bar to go in receiver) to get the max tow weight rating from you truck also. Hopefully your truck is rated to tow 7000 lbs total. As for making it a dually I don't think that is possible.
If you really want to know you should contct your local DOT as ask for somone that works in comercial vehicle enforcement, but you may hear more then you really want too.
Ken
Right now I'm looking at buying this 5150 pound (including bucket) bobcat, which I will be towing it around alot on the highway and around town, with my 2004, v8, 2x4, 4.7 litter Dodge Dakota, which I know the tow capasity is 6000 to 6200 pounds, but the bobcat weighs 5150 pounds, so theres only about a 1000 pound difference between the tow capasity and the weight of the bobcat, so including the trailer though, my whole truck might be hualing over 6200 pounds. So, so is it possible the my Dakota (with 6200 pound tow capasity) can tow a 5150 pound bobcat? thanks

sledesigns

Right now I'm looking at buying this 5150 pound (including bucket) bobcat, which I will be towing it around alot on the highway and around town, with my 2004, v8, 2x4, 4.7 litter Dodge Dakota, which I know the tow capasity is 6000 to 6200 pounds, but the bobcat weighs 5150 pounds, so theres only about a 1000 pound difference between the tow capasity and the weight of the bobcat, so including the trailer though, my whole truck might be hualing over 6200 pounds. So, so is it possible the my Dakota (with 6200 pound tow capasity) can tow a 5150 pound bobcat? thanks
It will probably work ok but if your state is a stickler for details the numbers won't add up. If you are pulled over & weighed and it is more than what the truck is rated for (stamped plate near the door) you'll have a fine. You could try it for awhile but will be happier, safer & legal with a higher capacity truck. Then you can bring along extra attachments, fuel, etc to the job. -Scott

TheMEGAbobcatman

It will probably work ok but if your state is a stickler for details the numbers won't add up. If you are pulled over & weighed and it is more than what the truck is rated for (stamped plate near the door) you'll have a fine. You could try it for awhile but will be happier, safer & legal with a higher capacity truck. Then you can bring along extra attachments, fuel, etc to the job. -Scott
I don't really know much about hualing a bobcat, but I do live in Ontario, Canada, so what would the laws be here in Canada about hualing something over your tow capasity? I also do hual a 2001 Jayco Eagle 12 foot pop-up trailer with my Dakota to, and it huals it pretty well.

Bman73

I don't really know much about hualing a bobcat, but I do live in Ontario, Canada, so what would the laws be here in Canada about hualing something over your tow capasity? I also do hual a 2001 Jayco Eagle 12 foot pop-up trailer with my Dakota to, and it huals it pretty well.
The truck may do it a few times but you need to be realistic here, the kind of weight you are planning on hauling is right at or just over what your truck is designed to do. Translation is it is going to be very hard on it, transmission will probabbly require extra cooling right off the bat to prevent overheating, driveline will need to be serviced a lot more often as its going to be hard on u-joints rear diff and possibly driveshafts depending on the kind of job sites you are going in and out of and your brake discs and drums will not last as long either, even with electric brakes on the trailer your truck takes the initial hit on the braking force as the electric controller feeds trailer brakes in gradually. Not to mention that in a worst case scenerio if you have an accident your insurance company will probably not cover you and leave you on the hook for all liabilty if are over weight or have worn components due to over use from hauling heavy loads on a regular basis. Short answer is yes your truck will do it but how much are you willing to spend in upkeep and maintenance and how much are you willing to risk in liability? p.s. for the record I use an 05 chev 1 ton with a 500 hp duramax to haul around my 853c and excavator, okay maybe a little bit overkill with the power but I sure don't fear any hills

TheMEGAbobcatman

The truck may do it a few times but you need to be realistic here, the kind of weight you are planning on hauling is right at or just over what your truck is designed to do. Translation is it is going to be very hard on it, transmission will probabbly require extra cooling right off the bat to prevent overheating, driveline will need to be serviced a lot more often as its going to be hard on u-joints rear diff and possibly driveshafts depending on the kind of job sites you are going in and out of and your brake discs and drums will not last as long either, even with electric brakes on the trailer your truck takes the initial hit on the braking force as the electric controller feeds trailer brakes in gradually. Not to mention that in a worst case scenerio if you have an accident your insurance company will probably not cover you and leave you on the hook for all liabilty if are over weight or have worn components due to over use from hauling heavy loads on a regular basis. Short answer is yes your truck will do it but how much are you willing to spend in upkeep and maintenance and how much are you willing to risk in liability? p.s. for the record I use an 05 chev 1 ton with a 500 hp duramax to haul around my 853c and excavator, okay maybe a little bit overkill with the power but I sure don't fear any hills
I have seen a dodge dakota like mine though hualing a bobcat 553 on a trailer before and it didn't do that bad. What if I went for a smaller bobcat that only weighs about 4500 pounds? instead of a 5150 pound bobcat. Translation is would my dakota be able to hual a 4500 pound bobcat with out any problems? thanks.

coreya3212

I have seen a dodge dakota like mine though hualing a bobcat 553 on a trailer before and it didn't do that bad. What if I went for a smaller bobcat that only weighs about 4500 pounds? instead of a 5150 pound bobcat. Translation is would my dakota be able to hual a 4500 pound bobcat with out any problems? thanks.
I would suppose that 4500 pounds might be alright with your truck. You would OF COURSE need trailer brakes AND weight distributing equipment on your hitch. Personally I would not haul this combination, you should really step your truck up a notch to a half ton at a minimum, my opinion only. Check your hitch on the truck for sure if it came from factory. They stamp the door with your towing rate, but put a hitch on that is at max at half that in a lot of cases. i have a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, capable of towing like 14000# or something, and in the manual, it shows that my truck from the factory can be equiped with a 12000# hitch or a 5000# pound hitch. Go figure. Good luck either way.

gtstang462002

I wouldn't try to pull anything heavier than a lawn mower with a V6 dakota. Dodge is known for haveing poorly built transmissions and that would be a sure way to find out how well it is built.
I am pulling a T300 on a 12K trailer behind my '07 expedition, the expedition is getting traded in at the end of the month for a super duty because I am way overloading the truck.