Hatz Diesel Conversion - Hydro Pulley Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

njclimber

Well after disappointing compression readings on the wisconsin vh4d, I jumped in the truck and headed to the mid north to pic up a Hatz Z790 mil spec. Dimensionally, similiar with an identical shaft output. Currently I'm doing the swap on the 70's era OMC skid steer. With a built in alternator in the z790 allows me to pull the old alt out and use the place/pulley to power the hydro pump. Since i repaired everything else on the machine, particularly the variable drive, I basically chased the weakest link to the motor. My question is since the hydro pump was run off the dizzy originally, what is the suggestion for pulley size since it will now be powered by the jackshaft?

Tazza

Staff member
I added at topic to your post for you.
Cheers - SR
I'd like to think you will want about 1:1
Can you get the specs of the pump? they will have a maximum rated operating speed, if you match it with the expected engine speed you have your ratio.
If your hatz is diesel, you will be looking at about 2,200 RPM at a guess. If it was petrol/gas i'd expect about 3,000.
Good luck with the swap, i hope you take pictures :)

OP
OP
N

njclimber

I'd like to think you will want about 1:1
Can you get the specs of the pump? they will have a maximum rated operating speed, if you match it with the expected engine speed you have your ratio.
If your hatz is diesel, you will be looking at about 2,200 RPM at a guess. If it was petrol/gas i'd expect about 3,000.
Good luck with the swap, i hope you take pictures :)
http://njhomebiz.com/project/gas-to-diesel-conversion/ Follow link to see some pics from conversion. Need one more hose fabbed and I should be ready for trials.

Tazza

Staff member
http://njhomebiz.com/project/gas-to-diesel-conversion/ Follow link to see some pics from conversion. Need one more hose fabbed and I should be ready for trials.
Looks good to me, i like the use of timber as a packer. You can then change height easily then when right, make them out of steel the same as the samples.

OP
OP
N

njclimber

Looks good to me, i like the use of timber as a packer. You can then change height easily then when right, make them out of steel the same as the samples.
Belt pulley driven hydro pump has no chance. Going to do sprocket and chain. I could try bigger belt but there would still be slippage. The only way will be chain. Going to look for break away sprocket, something to act similarly to the lovejoy. Will post more pics and a vid soon!

Tazza

Staff member
Belt pulley driven hydro pump has no chance. Going to do sprocket and chain. I could try bigger belt but there would still be slippage. The only way will be chain. Going to look for break away sprocket, something to act similarly to the lovejoy. Will post more pics and a vid soon!
You could have always used a multi ribbed belt to handle the torque, but chain driven will work too, the only issue will be lubrication and eventual chain stretch.

OP
OP
N

njclimber

You could have always used a multi ribbed belt to handle the torque, but chain driven will work too, the only issue will be lubrication and eventual chain stretch.
I decided with a solution I could implement in 4 hours including material procurement, machining, and welding. With belt drive the options were more constrictive, so the choice was clear. Although I think the belt option would of been better kinematically since less weight would be in motion, reducing backlash, wear n tear, and probably more responsive as well. Been struggling with hydro mounting reinforcement but tmrw I'm ready for prelims. Engineer throttle cable install seat and see what fails first.