Has anyone tried to install an Air Conditioner in their skid steer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pal meadows

I have a 1996 model 753 skid steer. No factory heat or A/C. I want to get an AC put in, but am thinking, "Maybe", if I find a small enough window unit I can dismantle it and set it up in the machine. I know there will be a lot of "Rigging" to get it setup but am very handy.It would be great, because of this super HOT weather. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there a kit out there for these machines? Thanks for any input, Brian

skidsteer.ca

When the factory did this they bumped the hp up 10 to cover the draw of the compressor.
As far as I know air was never offered in the 753/s130.
It has the same cab a a 773 turbo or s185 so all the factory parts would fit but with the cost i doubt it would be worth it.
As for window units the only ones I'm aware of are the 120v ac variety.
Unless perhaps you could find a resonable Vintage air of hot rod fame and adapt. They had some pretty compact systems for street rods that used auto compressors.
Skidsteer.ca

Tazza

Staff member
The problem with a window unit is its 110/240v. Not the sort of power draw that a cheap general purpose inverter will run. Ideally you want a sine wave inverter too, the cheap ones i believe are square wave, this causes the induction motors to get hotter than they should.
If you were really committed, you could get the gear from a car and set it up. Run the compressor off the engine, condensor on the radiator/oil cooler like the factory one is. The evaporator and fan are behind the ROPS, not sure if you could rig it up too or not.
I have also seen ones that is a unit that sits on the top of the ROPS, i suspect the compressor is engine mounted and hoses run to the box on the lid.
There is a lot of work....
Then you will need an enclosure.
Have you looked for a used AC machine and sell yours?

OP
OP
P

pal meadows

The problem with a window unit is its 110/240v. Not the sort of power draw that a cheap general purpose inverter will run. Ideally you want a sine wave inverter too, the cheap ones i believe are square wave, this causes the induction motors to get hotter than they should.
If you were really committed, you could get the gear from a car and set it up. Run the compressor off the engine, condensor on the radiator/oil cooler like the factory one is. The evaporator and fan are behind the ROPS, not sure if you could rig it up too or not.
I have also seen ones that is a unit that sits on the top of the ROPS, i suspect the compressor is engine mounted and hoses run to the box on the lid.
There is a lot of work....
Then you will need an enclosure.
Have you looked for a used AC machine and sell yours?
I found a A/C system that is very small (in size). Looks like it'll fit on the side near one of the windows. (Not 100% sure though) I've contacted manufacturer and am waiting for a response. This unit is a 115V with only a 2A draw. I already have a pretty heafty inverter that can put out 25A, as I was going to utilize it for the same application for a boat A/C. If this A/C unit is what I'm thinking it is, it'll probably work. As for looking for a new machine with A/C...... NAHHHHHH, they R too expensive. I can't justify the cost with the amount of work that I am getting. The 753 that I bought was just about $5K with just 2K hrs. I don't think I'd find another deal like that, especially for a unit with A/C. I'll keep all of U appraised with my progress. Thanks for the input, Brian

skidsteer.ca

I found a A/C system that is very small (in size). Looks like it'll fit on the side near one of the windows. (Not 100% sure though) I've contacted manufacturer and am waiting for a response. This unit is a 115V with only a 2A draw. I already have a pretty heafty inverter that can put out 25A, as I was going to utilize it for the same application for a boat A/C. If this A/C unit is what I'm thinking it is, it'll probably work. As for looking for a new machine with A/C...... NAHHHHHH, they R too expensive. I can't justify the cost with the amount of work that I am getting. The 753 that I bought was just about $5K with just 2K hrs. I don't think I'd find another deal like that, especially for a unit with A/C. I'll keep all of U appraised with my progress. Thanks for the input, Brian
Brian your inverter may produce 25 amps at 120 volts or 3000 watts, but the bobcats 55 amp alternator only puts out 660 watts or 5.5 amps at 120 volts.
It must be a really small air conditioner to only need 2 amps, Though I'm sure a 100 amp alternator could be fitted to raise your AC amps some.
Perhaps a window ac in the rear window and a generator on the roof. Might look like the Clampetts but hey I hate being hot too
Let us know if you go for it

OP
OP
P

pal meadows

Brian your inverter may produce 25 amps at 120 volts or 3000 watts, but the bobcats 55 amp alternator only puts out 660 watts or 5.5 amps at 120 volts.
It must be a really small air conditioner to only need 2 amps, Though I'm sure a 100 amp alternator could be fitted to raise your AC amps some.
Perhaps a window ac in the rear window and a generator on the roof. Might look like the Clampetts but hey I hate being hot too
Let us know if you go for it
I just rented a excavator today. A 431 or 331, something like that. It had the AC built in, BOY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY was that nice!!!! Felt like a Cadillac!!!! That has sealed the deal. AC in my skidder has got to be accomplished!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
I just rented a excavator today. A 431 or 331, something like that. It had the AC built in, BOY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY was that nice!!!! Felt like a Cadillac!!!! That has sealed the deal. AC in my skidder has got to be accomplished!!!!!!
hehe nothing like a little motivation.

siduramaxde

Must admit is is nice to climb in there sweating and feel it suck the moisture right off you.
On the down side you may never want to get back out!
skidsteer.ca
Have you thought about going to the junkyard and taking a complete HVAC system out of a compact car? I would think you could pay a sheet metal guy (HVAC) to make you a box to fit the blower/evap coil in and then all you would have to do is come up with a way to mount the compressor, condenser and dryer. With a little fab work you could have A/C in your loader. The A/C in My T200 is just enough to keep me cool on hot days. I have to run it on the highest fan speed to keep the cab cool. The factory unit is small.

OP
OP
P

pal meadows

Have you thought about going to the junkyard and taking a complete HVAC system out of a compact car? I would think you could pay a sheet metal guy (HVAC) to make you a box to fit the blower/evap coil in and then all you would have to do is come up with a way to mount the compressor, condenser and dryer. With a little fab work you could have A/C in your loader. The A/C in My T200 is just enough to keep me cool on hot days. I have to run it on the highest fan speed to keep the cab cool. The factory unit is small.
I thought about that, putting a complete HVAC system in from, maybe a Ford Ranger, or something like that. I'd be happy to do that, but, as U have described, I'd have to "Rig " the compressor to the engine. That I don't feel confident with. I think an electric system would be a little "simpler" My primary problem is routing the lines. Upon cutting the copper lines from a "Window unit" I'll evacuate the charged system. I've gotta put in flexible hose so that the cab can be raised and or the radiator grill can be raised. I figured that I could modify some auto lines to fit this app, but then have to mount the system (internal components) in the cab. A lot of little things that I've gotta work out in my mind still. I've got an idea and am running with it, but don't want to buy a small window unit, dismantle it, and then find out that I've screwed up and am out $100.00. Our town has an electronics "recycling" center, so when I get a chance I dive into the recycled AC units to get a small window one and take it apart. Check clearances and see what works and what doesn't. The only problem is, no-one is tossing out AC's right now because of the weather. Only time and my paitence will tell how long this project will take.