Harley Rake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1gr8bldr

Harley Rake [skidsteer] I have purchased an 8ft Harley rake. In good shape except.... the float bars, the connections. Apparently the extra size and weight of the eight footer is more force than the typical six footer, because the holes are rounded out pretty bad. I could weld over each hole with a quarter inch washer to fix.... but I got to thinking. Do I want the float feature? The bobcat brand soil conditioner I have been renting does not have this. Do I even want the tires? I see how the tires can let you micro manage the lift in that it would only move half as much acting like the handles of a wheel barrow. But other than helping it to stand on it's own, do I want that? The float feature lets it ride the ground with it's own weight, with no weight from the skidsteer... which is good because the drum will stop spinning if you try to dig with it. I don't think I need to push it down, but I want instant control to lift... I am thinking out loud, trying to decide how to fab this thing. It came with a Gehl hookup plate which does not fit my Bobcat. So I plan to cut this off and weld on a Bobcat plate, While doing this, I need to decide whether to go back float{Harley Style] or fixed [Bobcat style]. Any input to help me think this through would be appreciated

OP
OP

1gr8bldr

bobcats have a float feature on the arms already, so you might not need it to float.
I did not see it on the unit I rent. I have been looking at online pics and can't find a good pic. Bobcat states that it can float. I would like to see this because after giving it some thought, I would like the ability to float even if I don't use it. Maybe a pin to pull. The Harley float looks as though it could float 15 inces. I don't need that. 3 inches of float travel should be all I need. It would help with the leverage pressure applied to the float arms. Mine have been bent and fixed.

OP
OP

1gr8bldr

I did not see it on the unit I rent. I have been looking at online pics and can't find a good pic. Bobcat states that it can float. I would like to see this because after giving it some thought, I would like the ability to float even if I don't use it. Maybe a pin to pull. The Harley float looks as though it could float 15 inces. I don't need that. 3 inches of float travel should be all I need. It would help with the leverage pressure applied to the float arms. Mine have been bent and fixed.
I see now why the Harley this big is prone to bend the float arms. It has pins 4 inchs from the pivot that allows float or fixed. The weight of the unit is picked up 2 ft out by the arms supported at 4 inches from the pivot. That is way to much leverage on those arms. The unit weights 1600+ pounds. I will have to redesign this